Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lost Hot Rod- It's alive!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dean Lowe, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Steve did what he thought best regarding the paint. That's fine. It's his car now. I'm sorry, right, or wrong, after seeing both sides of the car out in the sun light, I'm afraid I'd have to give the old girl a new paint job. But that's just me. I'm not a patina kind of guy.

2. Mart

Mart

Well done Steve, you look like a happy guy.

Mart.

3. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is great to see the truck on the road and heading out to the sands. It needs to be driven IMO. One of my favorite hot rods and its great to see that it survived in such a complete state.

Thought - If he painted it - he might not want to use it -

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

In my Best belive, it's time to drive it! Alot!!

Winter time is for doing ods and ends. And paint. ;-)
    The summer is so short this side of the "pond"!

5. Mart

Mart

I think if I were Dean I'd be pretty chuffed to see my old car out there looking like it used to. Too many people do manage to track down their old cars only to find it is a mere shell of it's former self, ruined by ill advised modifications carried out by a string of increasingly talent less and taste less owners.
    The rpu is fantastic, Steve has done a great job and should be commended for it. It looks like it would have if it had been sat in Deans garage all these years, and had only just been dragged out and made roadworthy again.

6. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

DEAN LOWE.jpg
    If it was still sittin' in Dean's garage all these years, Dean would have it in the front yard washin' it and it would look more like the pic above. Dean might look just a little different, though. DD

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I bet that Dean look almost as untouched as the car. Minor cosmetics, but all in all, Healty, fresh and ready for a trip round the neigborhood.
    Looking so much forward to a picture of those two together again!

Is there any chance that the new owner will join The HAMB?

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to agree with the fresh paint but that can come later after he gets some miles on it and gets the bugs worked out. I've still got that issue with it and you on the cover out in the collection and sure would like to see it cover shot perfect again.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

I vote we take up a collection and send dean over to see the RPU at its maiden drags, after its long sleep....

10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Always been one of my favorites, especially the later 60s version with the Halibrands and white headers. Scary to think something that significant could have easily had it's parts scattered or turned street rod.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. 53 ford

53 ford

I was a member of another forum that Dean posted a story of how he got the premium parking spot at high school. Dean needs to recreate the story here please, everyone will enjoy. Thanks Harley

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Oh, trust me, as beat up as the paint looks, the car looks a hell of a lot better than I do. Getting nearly killed at El Mirage in 1962 finally caught up with me. 16" of titanium rods and dry wall screws in my back remind me of that every day. But, I would jump in and take my old hot rod for a 1/4 mile pass in a New York minute!!

Steve Hill is a member of the HAMB. I think his HAMB name is Lucky Steve. He hasn't posted here in the last few years.

dana barlow and volvobrynk like this.
  13. :DSteve was on here yesterday viewing this thread!!:D

14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I really enjoy checking in from time to time and seeing what is happening {hoping it gets back to ya somehow},always loved your truck an the history.
    I built a lot of hotrods and race cars over the years,but it took me tell about 6 years ago to finely start putting my old first rod back together,from 59,I had pulled it apart in 65,but now Having fun driving her again. Hope the same fun comes your way!
    my old rod;
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/working-on-my-hotrod-28a-from-1959-rebuild.793393/

15. Muttley

Muttley

Someday, somehow, I believe Dean, you will own that truck again. There is a reason both of you have survived all these years untouched.

16. It's a good thought, but Steve has owned the car for 17 years, and finally just got to drive it. He's a lot younger than I am. I don't know if I have time to wait for him to loose interest.

17. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

Wow, what a great story. Looking forward to seeing it at Pendine Sands!

18. its great to see it on the move!

19. I have to agree. Mine could use a make over after 35 yrs but i'm getting kind of lazy and i'll jump on the patina band wagon for now anyways. At least i don't have to worry about scratching it.
    Very nice to see you have a tie to the rpu after all these years. Can't wait for a group photo, then and now.

20. The latest from across the pond. Steve drove the car to an event at Brighton Beach. He needs to get some 1:45's on the front and de arch both springs. The car was never that high. Red car brighton III.jpg Red car brighton II.jpg Red car brighton IIII.jpg

HEMI32, Old-Soul and gwhite like this.
  21. agshelby

agshelby
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dean - Seeing the truck outside - I agree with you on the paint.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I dig the paint, but I understand if "battle scars" aren't for everyone. Good to see it back on the road though! Lookin mean.

23. Mart

Mart

I'm off to the sand in the morning. I'll be able to see the car in the tin. Can't wait.

Mart.

24. Please tell Steve I wish him luck. He's nervous about running the car hard for the first time. He doesn't need to worry. The car has plenty of experience, it'll know what to do!

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Dean, I couldn't agree more on the paint. I sure hope the "rust n rot" phase is over soon and it gets done up properly in the right red. Gary

26. Mart

Mart

I got back from Pendine last night, what a great event. I had a good chat with Steve and I've got to say it was great to see the car at a competitive event involving long stretches of flat terrain.
    Here are some snaps of the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear of my roadster in the foreground, Steve's rpu in the background.
    [​IMG]

Anyone interested in my other Pendine pics can view the album here.
    http://s279.photobucket.com/user/martsrods/library/VHRA Pendine 2014

Mart.

HEMI32 likes this.
  27. It sure makes me smile seeing the car participating in a racing event again. Only thing that would make me happier is my ass in the seat!

HEMI32 likes this.
  28. KFC

KFC
    from UK

29. Muttley

Muttley

That would make all of us happy.

Old-Soul likes this.