Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lost Hot Rod- It's alive!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dean Lowe, Dec 10, 2009.

1. An Eric Rickman shot that didn't make the Hot Rod article.

[​IMG]

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Dean...
    I recall Andy Southard telling me he traded Bruce Geisler a complete '29 Roadster Pickup (flathead, full fendered, nice) for a Deuce roadster Bruce had. Both were all apart, and the deal was made because both parties wanted new projects.
    Andy took his new Deuce Roadster to Magoo, it was finished in red, highboy style, with traditional whitewalls on narrow 16" wheels. Debuted in Lodi, in 1987.
    Which roadster pickup was the Andy Southard trade??? (I think the story was also told in Rod Action...)

3. Might be the one in the Street Rodder article. Bruce had more than one RPU for a while in the '80's.

4. hershambob

hershambob

great story,thanks for tellin

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Dean - Good to hear about your truck still being around, and the back story after it left your hands. Your truck is one of the reasons that I own a '29 roadster pick up, and has been one of my favorites since I was a kid in the seventies reading about it in my dad's old magazines. The only thing that could make even cooler is if you got it back somehow... A guy can dream, right?

6. abone1930

abone1930

I love that old rpu, dig it with the 471 and candy paint . Cars with magazine history rock :D

7. Nort

Nort
    from Anaheim

Dean,
    As cool as your little Red Roadster Pickup is (An we all agree it is!)

Who said that lightning does'nt strike twice in the same spot.

Your current Yellow Roadster Pickup is a standout,
    and has been my favorite 29 Roadster Pickup since I first laid eyes on it at
    the LA Roadster show. :D

8. One of the pieces from the old RPU that I still have is the Road Runner's plaque that Ak Miller gave me in 1960 when I joined the club. I always ran it on the car, and removed it when Bruce bought the car. I proudly run it on my current RPU, and plan to keep it. The guys in the club were able to have a new plaque cast for me from the original pattern. I had it polished, and hand painted it with Testor's red model paint exactly like I did the original in 1960. There is a plan to tour the car in the US when Steve finishes the restoration. When I see it again, after wiping the tears from my eyes, I will bolt this plaque on the right tail light bracket, and the car will be complete.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great thread. Incredible story by all involved. That is a class act Dean bringing the car back to being "whole" again.

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Just a great story Dean...... Love that RPU.

11. sr

sr
    from Monterey

Such a great story.

12. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

What a lowbrow comment. I'm just amazed for what passes as acceptable conversation levels on here.

13. Well, at least he didn't call me a "gold chainer". ;)

14. Probably my favorite A roadster pickup. Perfection. Pat

15. I got these quickie phone pics from Steve this morning. It's finished!! Since 60% of the original Junior Conway paint isn't bad and the Schifano top and upholstery is near perfect, Steve has decided to leave it as a survivor for a while. It's got plenty of battle scars from sitting neglected for 44 years, but she still looks beautiful to me. Tomorrow Steve will fire the dual quad SBC and take the old girl for her first drive since 1970. Damn, I wish I could be there! He plans on running it at Pendine sands in 4 weeks. He better carry on the history and win the street roadster class!

RPU_1.jpg RPU_2.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

That's very cool Dean ! It's great to see that Steve will maintain it as is. Great story.

17. Kind of seems he did the right thing with the truck,
    short of selling it back to you.
    And Dean, you seem fairly satisfied also.
    Just awesome!
    One of the best stories on the HAMB

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  18. I am satisfied. This is the best outcome for the roadster short of it being in my garage. I am proud that Steve respected the car's history enough to do what he's done with it. Over restored is not what I would want for the car. Mechanically it's all fresh and ready to hit the road where it belongs.:)

19. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This is so Awesome!!! More often then I care to remember the HAMB has given my goosebumbs, but this store also gives me the chills, and a slight lump in my through.

This is so great!! I can't wait to see picture of the incredible Dean Lowe RPU together with the even-more-so Dean Lowe! And the club plaugue.

I'm not an RPU guy, but hand down The DL RPU is the best I've seen! Ever!!
    Magasin style or restored style, dosen't matter to me, the proportions, the stance and the story, thats what maters!
    But if the new owner started out with the plan to build the first version, but change his mind because Dean made a short post about the wish to see the 61(?) version, that he took his wife on a date in.
    Then he is the Best second owner to the car!
    And who em I to disagree with any of those two!!

20. Just came across this thread. There has to be a way of getting it back. It's great you know where it is and is in good hands thou. After all, you know what they say about buying someone elses hot rod. The new owner is just the 'keeper'. I know all about that.

21. Mart

Mart

Nice to see it all in one piece. I look forward to seeing (and racing with) it at Pendine.

Mart.

22. This is incredibly cool. So glad another old hot rod is brought back to the streets

23. 296ardun

296ardun

Very glad it's done, hope we get some pictures of it running.

(BTW, first post mentioned Pat Ganhal's "Lost Hot Rods" book, which I ordered months ago on Amazon. Amazon sent back a message saying they couldn't find it, but just today I got another message that it is in and ready to ship. So if others have not gotten it, it is apparently ready to buy)

24. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great news, sure hope he posts up a video of her running.

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. Steve seems kind of nervous about running at Pendine. He ask me for advice. I told him" what the hell do I know about racing on sand? Closest I ever got was clay at El Mirage. Told him not to worry, that old RPU knows how to win"!

He says he will send me pics and a video of the first drive some time tomorrow.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Another crappy phone pic. Steve wanted me to know he mounted the RR plaque I had cast for the car last year.

RPU_3.jpg

Old-Soul and volvobrynk like this.
  27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wow, Dean...talk about finishing up and tying the knot! Great semi-finish to the best thread on here so far...
    A few posts back, I had mentioned Andy Southard trading a roadster pickup to Bruce Geisler for a '32 roadster...I stated that happened in '86...It was '76, my error...Moot point, but just that many roadster pickups changing places back then intrigues me.

Is (and was) that a Frank Kurtis tube axle under the R.PU?

28. It is a Kurtis axle from a '58 Indy roadster.

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Definite blast from the past! Thanks for posting it.

volvobrynk likes this.