Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lost Hot Rod- It's alive!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dean Lowe, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Very cool to know that your truck still exists. Although it'd be even better if you get the chance to own it again. Regardless, can't wait to see it back to its former glory.

It'd sure make for some awesome photos sitting on the grass at the Pebble Beach Concours. Of course to see it smoking down the 1/4 mile again would be really cool as well.

2. jangleguy

jangleguy

3. It's funny you mention that. I was reminded of this Monogram model kit:
    http://www.tomdaniel.com/85_kits/85_kits_pages/boss_a_bone.html

Attached Files:

4. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Me too.

5. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I've been told that Malc Farrant is gonna do the work on it, so its in GOOD hands for sure!

Nick.

6. Jack & Danny

Jack & Danny

And Malc's brother has an A R/PU on Halibrands!

7. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

One of my favourites!

Nick.

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Buy it back Dean

9. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

The HRM cover shot with Dean certainly made a big impression on me back then, I have built many Model A's since and now have my own RPU.
    Great to see it will be restored back to original, and in the U.K. too!
    Cheers, Phil

10. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

That's the second, I believe, issue of the Blue Beetle, renamed the Boss A Bone, and it dates to 1967 or '68. The original kit looked like this:

[​IMG]

The above image depicts a circa-1966 release but the basic kit is unchanged from the first 1964 issue. Got my first Blue Beetle kit, in this box, at a 7-11 in Stinson Beach, CA, one "hooky day" from school with my dad in about 1970. We stopped to grab a snack and I saw this kit and had to have it. Still have a couple of the 1964 kits.

You can see how it looks a lot like Dean's, especially the way the exhaust routes down through the fender.

The later mid-70s "Early Iron" release with the slot mags and tunnel-ram is fairly common on eBay.

11. Ebert

Ebert

Cut55,

AMAZING! Thanks! Back "In the Day," Monogram had no problem ripping off rodders like Dean by stealing their concepts, but paid no royalties. Conversely, if you ever wanted to use the Monogram name even for a press release, you would have to go through twenty lawyers and THEY wanted paid!

Dean, you have always been gracious to me on the HAMB and I am forever grateful to you for it! Even if you never get your paws back on the RPU, you will FOREVER be linked at the hip with it by all of us. Never forgotten!
    Eric

12. 10% of the wheelbase, measured from the front axle centerline to the center of the #1 sparkplug hole. 102" = 10.2" setback. That was the rule for street roadsters, gassers, and modified sports classes at the time. Probably nothing like that in the current rule book. The NHRA ("No Hot Rods Allowed") association no longer has need for such rules. :(

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Thanks for the pic of the box art. I have never seen that kit. The similarities to my RPU are all over it. The partial hood we ran at the races, the similar outside headers, motometer, and the one that makes me think somone at Monogram actually did use my car for the prototype is the red Austin Healey bucket seats. I never saw a hot rod, before, or since, that used those seats. I'll have to keep my eye out for one of the red version kits. Wouldn't mind having one as a reminder to never be that stupid again.

14. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Stock Eliminator.

Dean,

How popular were auto transmissions back in the day. I have some Hotrod mags from the '60s and i clearly see many competition cars with a third pedal. I would guess there was alot of breakage from both though.

15. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Dean, I envy you for creating such a neat and lasting Hot Rod. It has the stance and correct parts to make it a milestone of Hot Rods. Gee, I just hope someone would like any of my creations (mostly '41 Fords). But it doesn't matter. They are my ideas and what I could afford.
    41 Dave

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

In the '60s, nobody paid royalties. It hadn't occurred to manufacturers, racers, or car builders yet to ask for them. It wasn't until around 1970 that the first licensors first asked for royalties, but now they all expect them.

I speak from experience, having worked on Hot Wheels and Monogram in that period.

17. blackout

blackout

18. jangleguy

jangleguy

I have confirmation that Cartech will publish Pat's book. It's not done yet, but will be available wherever quality reading materials are sold. I'll let you know when...
    My editor at Cartech says it's "killer!"

19. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

SCTA uses engine set-back rules for Street Roadsters (15%) and 25% for their "altered" classes of Gas and Fuel Roadsters.

20. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

Awe Dean dont be so hard on yourself we have all made mistakes in our lives and sometimes they become lessons to be learned. Heck Id try to buy it back it never hurts to try all they can say is No! give it a shot :D Bring that RPU Home where it belongs!!

21. Trust me, if and when I get to speak to the current owner, you can bet he will be asked to put a price on it!

22. GuyW

GuyW

Dean: how much did you drive that RPU on the street?

Drive it to school?

23. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Is the current owner a HAMBer?If so,it would be great to hear from him and get some up-dates.
    Dean,I sincerely hope that you get a chance to get behind the wheel of your old car sometime in the future.If I win the lottery,I'll gladly pay for your flight!:D:D
    Mark

24. It was my only car for 4 years. It was street driven every day until the Hilborns were added. Yes, I drove it to school for a year and a half. The car won the Winternationals in '62 on Sunday, and Monday morning it was in the West Covina high school parking lot. It was, by every definition, a street roadster!

25. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Found this picture on another site, posted by Dog427435. Look closely at the magazine on the table. It's the January '62 Hot Rod with Dean's pickup! Photo must be Xmas '61.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. Don't know who's living room that was, but they had great taste in reading material. :D

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Hey Dean... why not persuade him to ship it back to you, pay you to restore it, and then drive it back to high school again for a photo shoot! And while you are restoring it, you could secretly build a clone and ship the clone back to him instead! Gary

28. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

That is a cool truck man

29. Steve Dennish already tried that ploy Gary. Volunteered to pay the round trip shipping if Limeworks could do the restoration. It didn't work. :(

30. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

I'm glad Pat got the photos, I've been nagging Steve Hill the current owner for a loooong time to get it done. I was there when it was loaded into a truck in Whittier from Bruces shop. I even supplied the sbc for it. The best part was meeting Dean who I'd known years earlier when I worked at Kugels. Some years later a local old geezer ( Big Stan ) tells me he knows where the original hood side is, he gets it to me , it's the one Dean is holding on the cover shot ( never fitted eh Dean ? ) I then got it back to England & hoped that was inspiration, I then got the paperwork & Photos/articles off Dean to send to England. I refused to send the stuff & just sent a photo of what I had in my possession . These all came to nought, eventually Pat called me & asked me to get him in touch with the current owner , after some detective work we got the 2 connected. Hopefully this will inspire him to get it done. I did as Dean said volunteer to restore the RPU if he just paid for paint. It is in good hands if Malc Farrant is involved in the restoration.

volvobrynk likes this.