Register now to get rid of these ads!

lizard skin sound/ heat control- any good?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33 plymouth steve, Mar 19, 2012.

1. 33 plymouth steve

33 plymouth steve

has anyone used of heard good or bad about " lizard skin" spray on sound dampening system. sprays out of a " rustproofing" type gun. then there is a ceramic top coat sprayed on top of it. I know summit racing sells it. is any good? does it work? does it smells when it gets hot under the floor boards?:confused:

2. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

3. 33 plymouth steve

33 plymouth steve

4. 33 plymouth steve

33 plymouth steve

Thanks for the link. it talks about mixing " micro balloon spheres" into latex paint to do the same job as lizard skin ceramic spary coating. lizard skin brand states its " clean with water", but latex? under a car? has anyone actually done this? why not mix with oil base like rustoleum?

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I always thought lizard skin was more for heat than sound ???

6. 33 plymouth steve

33 plymouth steve

it is 2 part, 2 seprate coatings. one coat for sound, then top off with second coating of a ceramic type coating? i am interested in the heat protection mainly.

7. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

I sprayed three gallons last weekend. Lizard Skin is the neatest stuff ever. It has zero smell, the only caution is that, if you are spraying in a closed area and wear contacts, the particles feel like sand in your eyes...so wear goggles. Cleanup is with water. Sprays with an undercoat gun....

IF you spray it on an exposed surface like the underside of a car, it needs an overcoat of paint. If it is sprayed inside the car where you cover it with carpet or similar, you dont need a paint coat. This stuff is sprayed so it is about 1mm thick. There are two styles, heat insulation and a heat/sound insulation. The heat insulation comes in a white bucket and sprays a black finish. The heat/sound insulation comes in a black bucket and is of grayish color. It has less insulation value for heat.

We tested it on a piece of aluminum. We heat the aluminum until you cannot hold it in your hand. On a similar piece of aluminum, we sprayed a coat of lizard skin and heated it at the same time with the torch.....the bare was too hot to hold, the Lizard Skin part could be comfortably held. By the way, it is a single part material....

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  8. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

I'm a big fan of Lizard skin and highly recommend it.

9. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

great stuff, use it all the time. i get mine from wattswheelsnwings.com. talk to randy if needed.

10. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

I've had it the sedan for about 7years! It's It is the neatest stuff..Works great for heat ,summer sun,and sound deadens too boot.I got the sprayer on loan from the supplier I bought the product from.Sprayed the whole inside and inner door and inside firewall.Just can't say enough goodthings about Lizardskin!

11. This is a very good product.
    We always use the ceramic coating, did not know it could be sprayed with a undercoat gun,we purchased the Lizard Skin brand gun.
    You will be happy with the results.

12. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Recently did my Studebaker gasser with the home made L-skin. Used local discount store exterior black latex and the micro-baloons. Worked very well. Makes a very professional looking floor and underbody finish. Used a HF $25.00 texture ceiling gun. For application. I also use the same gun for spraying Gel-coat on the f-glass parts/panels I make.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  13. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sprayed it in my 32 Ford 3W coupe.
    The doors, floor, firewall and the roof. 2 coats of the heat " Lizard Skin " and one coat of the sound deadener " Lizard Skin ".

It sprayed on nice and easy. Covers well and is easy to clean up the gun. I too bought the special gun to spray it.

The coupe is very well insulated ... and it is easy to heat and cool ( Vintage Air Mini II ). It is also very quiet on the inside. I highly suggest and I will not build another car without using it.

:D

14. From what I have been able to find out that is all Lizard skin is either ceramic spheres for heat or glass microspheres for sound and about 100% mark up from what you can buy the materials for yourself.

These products, Lizard Skin or homemade, are not designed to be the only coating applied to the outside of a vehicle so you should be puttingt a good epoxy down before spraying them anyways and probably coat them with something when done as well.