Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Lincoln Precision tig 225- am I going to like it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Tell me how you like yours

2. Bump for some first hand info

3. sdsmith33

sdsmith33
    from kansas

I have the Precision 185 which is the older version of the one you are looking at. I have had mine for about 10 years and have had no problems. I love the pulse feature and being able to adjust post flow on the gas, and balance between penetration and cleaning on ac. I have welded 24ga up to 3/8" (multi-pass) wall tubing with no issues and probably miles of stainless weld on 304 18ga.

4. buick47

buick47
    from bc

I have the nascar car 225 Lincoln tig (the nascar make it go faster?) and it rocks, but you might want to upgrade to a better torch after a while, the one that it ones with can get warm pretty fast. if you want to do thick alum plate youll have to pre-heat. I do a lot of stainless steel and bronze tig work and it great.

5. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Like SD Smith, I have a 185. I have owned mine for 10 years as well, and used Miller Units before I got my Lincoln. I do mostly sheetmetal work with it, but have built cages, frames and some Aluminum work as well. Short Answer...I love it.....better than the Miller in my opinion, except for sustained heavy duty work, where you need a watercooled torch. I have a Weldcraft torch on mine, have abused it over the years, but it still works great...

6. our welding shop at the school purchased one 2 years ago with the cooler
    welding teacher hates it and wishes he had bought a blue one

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have no love at all for Lincoln power sources. The trade school I teach at tried Lincoln machines for a time and we had nothing but trouble with them.
    Lincolns technical support was terrible and we got rid of them and have never looked back.
    We have 8 shops serving 30 students in each shop and we run our machines all day long.
    Exclusively Miller machines.
    Lincoln recently brought one of their latest machines in for us to try it.
    We had it set up in our prep shop and were trying it out. It broke down and they had to bring in another one. :eek:
    I said that it was ridiculous and the Lincoln sales rep wasn't impressed.
    He didn't seem to think it was an issue. :confused:
    I told him to think about it, if I test drove a new truck and it left me to walk back to the dealership, should I still buy the truck ? :rolleyes:
    Trust me, go Miller blue and buy a new machine rather than a used older one.
    You will never regret it.
    Larry

8. We have a 185 and a 225 and they have been flawless. The 185 is ten years old. I may be biased since we have over twenty red machines. Miller went after the consumer market and Lincoln stayed with the industrial market.
    We could argue red, blue or brown but it comes down to whatever works for you. When someone is looking at your work I don't think they will ask what color the machine was.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And that is just not true at all. That kind of generalization seldom is.
    The truth is that both companies have their fair share of all the relevant markets, industrial and consumer.

All it takes is a look through their lineup to see that.
    People develop preferences based on experiences, I was sharing mine.
    In my career I have worked with all sorts of machines and up here in Alberta Miller has a very strong presence on all the big industrial projects, oil sands and otherwise.

The absolute smoothest arc I ever experienced from a portable SMAW machine was a Miller Trailblazer.
    But now I am rambling.... :)

10. 117harv

117harv

Welded at another shop with the Lincoln for about an hour awhile back, I have used/owned Miller machines for years, difference??? I really didn't use it enough to come to any conclusions about one being better than the other. However, the consensus here and talking to others seems to be that Miller welders are better. I think it may come down to whatever you first used or learned with, Chevy vs Ford thing, I think any of the known brands would be fine, your experiences may vary.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a Miller Syncrowave 250DX, with a water cooled torch.

It has been running strong for 12 solid years, and has needed nothing but consumables, and one flow gauge/hose, which I damaged by dropping stock on it.

I have been welding since 1978. There is a reason why all of my welding and cutting gear is blue.

12. chrisp

chrisp

My experience is with Miller, Lincoln and Fronius, TIG and MIG. I came across a bad Miller and a bad Lincoln which I believe were the consequence of bad treatment/maintenance. I don't see any difference in welding with those machines. On the other hand Fronius is in a different league of welding ... and price. But for 99% of what we do I don't see the point of the Fronius investment.

13. I've got a line on a Diversion 180 too, used about 2 hrs. Not sure how the warranty might transfer though. Was purchased about 3 months ago 9-2014

Quite the debate over blue vs red everywhere you might look.

14. slowmotion

slowmotion

And being smack dab in the middle of the oil/gas boom here, I can say the exact opposite is true here. 10 fold.
    (which has nothing to do with the OPs question, sorry Vick)

15. aaggie

aaggie

I've had my 225 for six years and have had no problems at all. Steel and silicone bronze is good but I still haven't mastered Aluminum. The size 17 torch that comes with the machine is good for about 20% duty at 125 amps since it is air cooled. I have tried several others and like the CK International Flexloc torch and gas lenses.
    Like others have said it is a Ford vs Chevy thing with welders and a skilled person can make anything work.

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The Diversion 180 is a fine machine, I love my Diversion 165. Aluminum capable and the foot pedal and high frequency start is great.
    I'm pretty sure that Miller will honor a warranty based on purchase date.
    I'd buy that machine without hesitation.
    Larry.