Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lil' John Buttera Passed away this morning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 2, 2008.

1. ratster

ratster

2. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

What a week, John was a true Hot Rod hero. A guy building cars at home for himself. He always did things his way. Godspeed Lil'

3. moses

moses

wow who's next dont they alway's go in three ...R.I.P....jeffrey
    god must be building one heck of a shop up there cause he is picking the best...

4. duke182

duke182

condolences to the family.
    rip...

5. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

I remember reading a magazine article Lil John had written about building a car on the cheap, detailing with ratlle cans etc. Thanks Lil John....RIP

6. wow......really tough week for hot rodding legends.

RIP Lil' John

7. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

this sucks. The hobby lost two great guys in one week. Im not liking this. My condilences to his family and close friends.

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I didn't want to believe what I was reading when I came upon this thread. I guess being in denial of what was sure to come has a way of insulating you and believing it isn't REALLY going to happen. I can't express the sadness I feel at this time. From the first time I laid eyes on one of his creations I was hooked. From that time he was the benchmark for what I wanted to accomplish with what meager skills I posessed. My file drawer is a testiment to my fasination with his work.
    I was standing at the entrance of the Street Rod Nationals when he came driving in with the A roadster with the turbo Buick V6. He had finished it a few day earlier, drove it around the block a couple of times, took a shower, loaded some underware and socks in a bag and headed east. To call him a hero would be understating his influence on me. RIP L'il John, you will be missed.

Frank

9. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

I knew his name and saw a few of his cars in the magazines. I might have even been able to recognize a few. But when I Saw him on Monster Garage and listen to such a talented guy like Jesse James talk about him and Idolize him and the more I heard Jesse talk about him the more I respected him I learned how he had built a Indy Car that is when he became a hero of mine.
    His modesty was pretty amazing for a guy of such genius. Just shows how cool the guy was. He just seemed like such a no B.S. type of guy. I never got to meet him but I would love to have just hung around him and hear his wisdom and learn something from a master. Now that he is gone I would hope there would be a biography or a random collection of Lil John wisdom. I hope I will be like him when I am older.

10. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Is it something like keep cutting until it looks like a mirror? or something to that effect?
    I Gotta watch the Lil John dvd of monster garage tonight!

11. hoarder1212

hoarder1212

R.I.P. Lil John the Chevy II that he built in the 80's was inspiration for my first car.

12. another blow to the hot rod world, rip lil john

13. Von Franco

Von Franco

Now there was a great man.and car builder.........R.I.P. with much respect................

14. 4speedman

4speedman

He forgot more than I'll ever know...take it easy bro...

15. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Something like 'I took a block of aluminum and removed whatever didn't look like a side view mirror'.:)

A true creative genius with an eye for proportion to say the least.....:cool:

His kind doesn't come along very often, may he rest in peace.

16. Knew John back in the day, when still in So-Cal. Bumped into him over the years. A true innovator and a gentle-man.
    Gonna miss ya John.
    Heaven need Hot Rods too!
    R. I. P.

17. Born a HotRodGal

Born a HotRodGal

Losing two very important people in 1 week in our lives is just about more then I can handle,
    I was fortunate to share so many great times with Lil John, growing up hanging out at there house great swim parties, and the trip to the Street Rod Nats in St Paul in the 70's, I was 7 or 8 yrs old, and I had to ride with Lil John and family in the T sedan, I spilled milk in the back of the car and was too scared to tell anyone, lets just say in the heat of the desert, everyone knew very quickly...also on the same trip it was Johns birthday so about 15 wet from swimming kids went in the restaurant and sang happy birthday, for those that knew John they know how much he liked that!! LOL
    I am so happy I got to see John in January at the GNRS, he had such a big heart and only the special people got to really see it.

You will be missed by so many but never gone from our hearts and memories,
    RIP John
    Love

18. Brad S.

Brad S.

19. So sad. One of the greatest fabricators of all time.

20. this is terrible, I always liked his work. RIP John:(

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a very humbling week. My heart goes out to his family. Thanks Ryan for the F/C pics on pg1. I think I kept those in my mind all these years more than the rest but it was always something trick and unique when you saw his name.

22. A truly legendary and artistic craftsman,who raised the level of achievement in every new endeavor. Many,heartfelt condolences to his family,friends,and the many admirers of his craft. We were also honoured,to have had him join us here on the HAMB. My thoughts especially,are with those on here who were fortunate,to have known him personally.Cole, Jesse,Terri,Ash and numerous others,thanks for sharing your experiences with us. RIP Lil John.

23. The only Hot Rod Magazines I wish I kept,
    are the ones with Lil John's work in them.

24. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Heard this bit of news while at Dan Web's today.....hit us hard. Lil john redefined what street rodding was, is and will be. Been a rough few days for our hobby.

25. Nitro Marty

Nitro Marty

Very sad indeed.... When I think of Lil' John this is the first car that comes to mind.....​

[​IMG]

R.I.P. Lil' John!​

26. you said it kirk! suck it up while you can. r.i.p. john

27. flyingpolock

flyingpolock
    from PHX

Pioneer, craftsman, legend....
    Our condolences to his family and friends.
    R.I.P., John.

28. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

When I was in HS back in the boston area, working at a 7-11 store I remember see/reading all the kool stuff that was coming from that "other coast". Lil John's stuff was ones I remember the most.......I got out of early rest rods in the early 80's & started on bikes.....late 80's/early 90's roll around & I see these softails this guy builds out in cally......sure enough........Lil John......amazing talent.

RIP & well wishes to him family and friends.

Paco