Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lil' John Buttera Passed away this morning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 2, 2008.

1. unklgriz

unklgriz

RIP Lil' John

May the cackle fest be with you always.

Larry

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

The past few months have just been tragic...in so many ways, for me personally and for others. Seeing this post this morning only re-affirmed that, as we've lost yet another good man...a man who was a hero, a father, an innovator, a craftsman, an inspiration...and a friend. He will be missed by a great many, yet he leaves us with a lifetime filled with many achievments and milestones...and many fond memories, too.

I'm only glad that I got to speak with him a few times and came to know the man I'd worshiped for more than half of my life on a more personal level than just admiring his work in photos. His wit and manner were incredible, and he spoke to you as if he'd known you all your life...on an even level. There was no ego or brag in his words, just pleasant conversation between friends.

He often spoke of his friends being the true measure of his worldly wealth, and he treasured every one of them dearly...you could hear and feel it in the way he spoke.

My deepest condolences to Chris and to Leigh, I know what you are going through right now, believe me (my mom died a couple months ago). There are no words which can express the sorrow involved, yet hopefully some comfort will come to you in the words and wishes of those who knew, admired and cherished your father for all that he did...and for the great man that he was.

Godspeed, John...

:(

3. marc

marc

RIP, The man upstairs has a couple of the best up there to build him the best. R.I.P. Boyd an John

4. Lil John's T was a benchmark car. Incredible detail and engineering. Made the hobby better. He was an inovator and a backyarder that had a talent that shone above the rest. He will be missed. Thanks for all that you passed on to us. Godspeed.

5. 067chevy

067chevy

R.I.P. Lil' John. You wer one of the greatest

6. I can't add too much to what has already be said about this icon,,,R.I.P,,,Lil' John,,,,,HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. So very true. Rest in Peace John.

8. JustBryan

JustBryan
    from NE Ohio

Legends never die

9. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Prayers to the family, and God speed. Thanks for all you have shown us.

10. cole

cole

Jesse wrote me a note telling me that john was gone............

I responded back:

JJ, Sad news indeed .

Appreciate you letting me know.....I think we both should feel lucky to have been friends with him, I know he thought alot of both of us, and when your name came up ........he would always smile and glow like a proud papa " I luv that kid"

You know before he got sick , he called me one Sunday and gave me words of encouragement ,advice, and a true understanding of what I do , why I do it , why I should keep doing it when I needed to hear it, he said things that only someone looking out the same window as I was could, it really was powerful , he talked of mistakes hes made and really helped me make sense of some things in my life few could know. My wife came out to my office and I was all teared up after johns call..........she was tripp'n " You never drop tears for me" LoL I couldn't explain it to her.

I remember John saying " never compromise, make your stuff as nice as you can every time, because there is some kids out there that you inspire"

" Time is short , don't wait to make something tomorrow ,do it today"

I never meet Boyd ,but I know you knew him well, sorry.

Take care brother-CF

11. Cris

Cris
    from Vermont

Godspeed, John.

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

My idol/hero, I could only dream of doing some of the things he did. He made all of us better car builders. He set the bar for us to rise to for a long time to come.

13. Godspeed John.
    Not many were as imaginative,creative,and influential,as he was.

I'm glad Ron Covell got to interview him a few years ago.

14. LUCIFR

LUCIFR
    from Seattle

wow what a rough week R.I.P...Lil' John...a true pioneer in the industry

15. user426

user426
    from TEXAS

RIP John. One cool guy. In the early seventies I sold him my '54 Ford Victoria, with one of those "moonroof" things, maybe called a skyliner, can't remember now. He had big plans for it, but I never heard what he did with it. I knew he was sick, I didn't know it was this close, a sad day.:(

16. Carbonkenny

Carbonkenny

Cole I know he really is proud of your work, he was very touched that your work was in that streetrodder with his car. I have not met you but I will. I am so glad to hear wonderful reports about your Dad. Jesse was also a big inspiration in the last year keeping his spirits up, He really enjoyed the visits and the company of Jesse's wife. The burnouts in front of the house leaving wasn't all bad either, I think Chip had some stripes out there also. A big help also was his live in caregiver Nancy and anyone that met her knows what a blessing she is.

17. Dammit! RIP, Li'l John.

18. RIP Lil John
    Your work sure inspired alot of people down here in New Zealand.
    I still have unmade model kits too

19. Cshabang

Cshabang

As in the past, my thoughts and prayers are going out to the big guy...this doesn't get easier...

20. One of hot roddings pioneers, very sad news. RIP Lil John.

21. Oggie

Oggie
    from Nor Cal

RIP Lil John and God bless his family.

22. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Dammit.............that's a frickin shame........Mortality comin' at us pretty fast........but............I have been hearing footsteps for a long time now.......

My sincere condolences to all of John's family and friends.

Mark Artis

23. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

A true craftsman. RIP.

24. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

God must be putting together one heck of a Hot ROd Shop by the poeple who have joined him recently.

Lil'John may be gone from us now but he is no longer suffering. We will never forget his contribution to our hobby. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

25. Another one gone...what a week...

RIP Lil' John

26. Kustomman#1

Kustomman#1

R.I.P. Lil' John. =(

27. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

RIP little John may god be with you

28. TV

TV

One of the greatest talents of our time, he could do it all. He will be missed by all of us. Hope he builds some for the BIG GUY.---------RIP JOHN.---TV

29. Ben de la Vega

Ben de la Vega

[​IMG]
    Rest in Peace John.

30. superleggera

superleggera

Dang it... another one of the greats passes on...

memories:

- Walking through the paddock at Indy and looking at his Indycar. Everyone one of us who turned wrenches for a living couldn't believe the amount of machining, craftsmanship and thought he had put into reworking that Gurney chassis. If he just had a few more dollars via sponsors, more time to make spare parts, more guys to crew -- he could have done some serious butt kicking that year.

- Seeing him ride around Boyd's on that Schwinn with always a cigarette.

- Seeing the '32 Deuce he built that was featured in HotRod. It was impressive and unfortunately never was as fully appreciated as it wasn't publicized much beyond that first appearance.

- Mentioning HotRod magazine, his parts article on making "ignition wire clamps" from aluminum. Went out the next day and bought a bunch of aluminum files and learned how to use them. I still use them today. I can't imagine not having them as part of my arsenal in building cool automobiles and motorcycles. It's one of the first lessons I always pass on to anyone learning to fabricate or make aluminum parts -- and I always give credit from whom it came.

- "I Drove" -- his license plate. As everyone stood around and bs'd or talked about doing something or driving somewhere -- he just did it.

- The billet desk lamp on my desk he made a small run of while at Boyds. I just turned it on in memory.

Lil' John might be gone from us now... but his legend and creativity won't be forgotten forever.