Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lifts in your garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Just finished looking at the thread that has pics of everyone's shop. Got to wondering - how many of you have a lift in your shop? I ask because in addition to my garage, I own a light industrial building with a 2 bay garage, and I'd really like to get a lift.

Who has one? What kind is it, and are you happy with it? About what can I expect to pay for a lift, including installation?

Don't have the money in hand yet, but scrap metal is pretty high, so I'm sure I can gather a nice nut by mid spring.

Thanks...

Chris

2. Willy301

Willy301

My buddy has one, it is a 2 post lift. It is very handy and has the wheels accessible. Some 4 post lifts are ramp type and the weight of the vehicle is still on the wheels. Kinda depends on what you want on that part. I have seen guys buying them used for under 4k, seen some new ones upwards of 10k. You might find something on Craigslist. I want to add on to my shop, a specific bay for a lift as the rest of my ceilings are too low to accomodate a lift properly. Might still do it, and alter my ceiling though.

3. AfterhoursFab

AfterhoursFab
    from NJ

Once youll get one youll wonder how you lived without it lol Look to spend about 1200 on a nice used 2 post lift. Look at getting an asymmetrical 2 post for easier access to the interior (posts are offset to allow the door to open more.

The 2 posts are by far the easiest to work under as theres nothing in the way but they require a good foundation and big lag bolts. A 4 post is much easier to set up but can be a pain in the ass to work under. Youll also need all the accessories like center jacks to work on any suspension part.

4. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I have one of the 4 post ramp type and it has a jack that slides in the center. I love it! Cost $1400 plus $300 jack and $625 to install. After watching the 2 install guys work on it for 9 hours with a fork lift, I was glad I didn't try to do it myself!

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Not yet..but im workin on it

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd never get nothing done without my lift. got it cheap from a guy who didn't want to pay to have it moved and set up in his new shop. $150.00:D

the only recommendation I have is if you get a 2 post, get the one where the cables run over the top. with mine you have to go over a platform in the center that is about 2" above the floor that the cables run through. it is a pain in the rear when the car does not run.

also I have to use a jack to get under any lowered car before I can slide the arms under the car

7. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Got a high lift 4 post last year and now wonder how I managed without it.

8. deto

deto

I picked mine up from a guy who said if I picked it up it was mine.. for $500. I had to sell it when I sold my shop but it was the best investment I ever made. Do it if you can.

9. Try the HAMBs sister site. www.garagejournal.com

Thats the place you need to look and ask questions.

10. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

I've got the 4 post Backyard Buddy lift and it's been great. I can move it with the
    optional wheel kit. Some of the 4 post lifts recommend lagging them to the floor, this
    one does not. It's not as nice as a 2 post for brake jobs or wheel removal.
    I like the fact I can move it out of the way if I need too and I use it for winter storage. I bought the extended version and can put a long box extended cab truck on it

11. myron h

myron h

i have owned two both two post type bought the first one through greg smiths in indy 9000lb i believe i paid 1400$ i got another after divorce gave 1000 and took down and hauled home and installed . you can install one by yourself but two makes it easier.you can do it on a saturday. the new ones only need a 4 inch slab thickness make it possible for old broke down guy like me to still enjoy the hobby

12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

We have an asymetrical 2 post Bend Pak in my son's garage.
    10,000 lbs capacity, 220 volt I bought new.
    $3300 installed, excellent investment!

13. Harry o

Harry o
    from Georgia

If youre thinking about getting a lift ask them how much it would cost to replace the electric motor when it goes out ... Some of them want sell you just the motor ... They want to sell you a pump and motor ... My motor went out ... Had to buy the pump and motor $750.00 ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  14. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I have a 2 car garage with a standard ceiling height, and got one of these guys: http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-Kwik-Bay-7-000-LB-Mid-Rise-Lift

I'm very happy with it, especially the fact that I can park the car on top of it and it's not in the way. Undercar access if better than you would think too. Eventually I plan to sink it into the floor so its is flush with the slab.

Check out garagejournal.com too!

15. ebfabman

ebfabman

IMG_0856.jpg Mohawk system 1

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

whats that worth?

17. Yes I have one. It is an old 70s Bradbury. I wanted a two post badly when I first started to shop. The four post came along first and I thought long and hard about pros and cons.

I ended up with the four post because it works better for me. It has a separate frame that the ramps drop away from, leaving all four wheels romovable, the same as a two post. Plus you have more stability in this configuration. Add the fact that your ramps are there incase of catostrofic failure. Also the ramps hold tools. Lastly I have an upper storage area that the hoist works like an elevator allowing me to get heavy items up and down from storage.

When removing heavier wheels and tires on a two post you either have to drop the vehicle or wrestle with the big things to get them on or off the wheel studs. With my four post I can drop the ramps to lift the wheels into position, or just leave them sitting right there on the ramps while work comences.

If the ramps are ever in the way they can be dropped back to the ground alowing maximum access. Just my take on it.

Doug.

Hoist HAMB 004.jpgb.jpg Hoist HAMB 001.jpgb.jpg Hoist HAMB 002.jpgb.jpg

18. ebfabman

ebfabman

If you're asking what I paid for it.......just under 58 installed.

and yes you can get a lift a lot cheaper if you want.

A new Mohawk, however, ain't cheap.

19. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

I,m old have had one for 20 years most important tool in the shop!!

20. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I have one that only goes to 30". It is about 4 inches high when collapsed. Sure beats using a Jack and stands.

21. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

I have both a 2 post and a 4 post in the shop at my house. The two post is much more versatile

22. Beg borrow or steal one however you can. This will be one thing you won't regret.
    I have a rotary 4 post lube rack in the shop in Oregon. Has a ladder to gain access to the top when the lift is raised. Down side is removing wheels & doing brake jobs as the ramps are about 2' wide but you can work off of them just can't reach in from the floor. I have had my 3/4 ton suburban & 3/4 gmc pickup on with no problems. If I would have had a lift here in Az my arm wouldn't be in a sling today. Dumbass tripped over the creeper while changing my oil & fell & dislocated my left shoulder. Will be out of operation for 6 weeks.
    Check out your service station equipment suppliers for a good used one. I installed mine by myself .

23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I bought one out of Greg Smith Equiptment, four post with castors and jack tray for little over 2k delivered..Got it wednesday morning and had it operational by thursday night, by myself...Went together very smooth...

24. I have a four post "double park", that is very helpful

25. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

I have a very low ceiling in the grage and got a Kwiklift, uses a floor jack to lift the rear end and 2 legs kick out, Not the greatest but works for me. Cant park the car on it when not using it. www.kwiklift.com

26. 416Ford

416Ford

I was wondering if Chopped46 would pop in... Do not buy a used one.
    I had what I call a body-shop hoist that works great in low ceiling garages. Limits the underside work you can do but is great for the bodywork.
    Want to get a real hoist some day.

[​IMG]

27. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 4 post drive on Back Yard Buddy built in the USA before they started getting over seas ones to sell cheaper. I like it mostly for storage I have had a full size 4x4 Surban on it so it is strong. I added to the garage with 12ft inside height fit most of my stuff on there.

28. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

I* have the 4 poat and it works well.I use it for a work bench,platform to hang small parts when paintting,I can run my lawn mower up on it to chang blades and oil,atv and golf cart can be raised to work on,I pushed a frame under it chained it up rasied lift removed tires and was able to paint top and bottom,and yes a 2 post would be better for brakes and suspension,But I use my lift for so much more than a 2 post would let me.I have played with ideal of a mount for the front tire of a mc and use it for a bike work bench.

Attached Files:

29. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I have a Bendpak HD-9 4 post in mine.
    I had Bendpak install it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. I agree if your mechanical understanding is limited, but lifts used for businesses have to go through an annual inspection here. All you have to do is understand what maintenance is required and what weeknesses to look for and you'll be OK. I know a lot of businesses running inspected used hoists. You can always have an inspector come look at it after instalation.

Doug.