Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lefthand/Righthand Dodge Bolts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sandmountainslim, Mar 25, 2009.

1. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Larger GM cars had these too. My Pontiac 8 lug wheels are left/right. Had a '56 and '50 Buick, same deal.

2. lindaswalker@cableone.net

[email protected]

My 1950 plymouth business coupe has them. Rick.

3. 70dodgeman

70dodgeman
    from Alpha NJ

They stopped using them in 1970.

4. loburban

loburban

1963 dodge had em the I learned better a quit buying junk

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Isn't it amazing how a simple common sense idea becomes so controversial in a world without common sense?
    I find it hard to believe that legislation was written to command car makers to all use RH thread nuts on their wheels. Oh, wait, no I don't, see above.

The wheel lugs were marked L and R and the wheel bolts were also marked plainly L and R.
    Chrysler Corp was not alone in this, my 57 Cadillac had L and R wheel nuts and studs.

SHEEEEEESSSSSHHHHHHH!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  6. They did this to further confuse the chevy guys, and it apparently works quite well.

I remember my brother getting a '64 Dodge Polara certified at the local gas station. Their genius mechanic, who drove a chevelle, snapped all 10 left hand studs off getting the wheels off. He was going to charge bro for replacing them until I picked up one of the broken studs and showed him the giant frigging L on the end of it. I was about 12 at the time and had just done the brakes on the car. Not sure if buddy learned anything that day other than he hated being shown up by a kid.

7. what language is that?

8. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

My 64 Dart has 'em.

Took my car to Sears for tires and told the shop manager to write "LEFT HAND THREAD LUG NUTS ON DRIVER'S SIDE" on my work order. I watched the tire mechanic do all the work correctly and when it came time to torque the lug nuts, he hand threaded them and then asked the new guy to torque 'em down. We all had a good laugh with that one.

9. llonning

llonning

I have a 75 with left hand and a 76 w/o. Cutoff had to be in there somewhere.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'm going to put them on both sides of my chevy so no one will steal my wheels

11. And I've been wasting my time with a lug wrench all these years! :D

12. There's an interesting/funny discussion about cars with LH wheels studs in the "%^@F^%!@F@ tires stuck!!!" thread (just click HERE).

13. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

the purpose is, of course, to 'insure' that the lugnuts on the left side will not loosen from inertia when the brakes are applied. This was learned from way before lugnuts....many of your early cars with center-nut wheels had LH and RH threads - look at ANY knockoff hub - racing or street car (even the Vette KOs) all have a directional arrow for which way to SMACK it.

There is some physics supporting the contention that ultimately, there is a slight chance that a lugnut may loosen on the left side of the car under specific circumstances, but by and large the reason for doing it that way was just a carryover from earlier times (wood wheels, etc). On true KOs, the wheel will most certainly succumb to inertial momentum, especially if you brake very hard.

dj

14. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

It was because Mopar's of the time were such "high velocity" vehicles................

15. Not sure what years, but I definately know they did in '66, I damnear sheared some off before I realized it

16. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

funny i thaught all cars were like this....