Register now to get rid of these ads!

Last Continental Kits?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Powerband, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Powerband

Powerband

I saw a very off-topic car with a Continental Kit spare tire which did not add to it's appeal .

When did factory "Continental" rear Spare OEM options and aftermarket Continental "kits" popularity end?.

I deal with old Falcons and trad' kits show up occasionally on them - questionably... :rolleyes:

have fun

2. My guess is that most ended with the 50's (except maybe the Nash Met that went to '62), but the Lincoln Continental and Cougar (I think) revisited the idea with the bump on the truck in the 70's-80's.

3. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

I think that Lincoln had one in the early 90's on the baby connny.

4. The aftermarket kits are still around.

I unfortunately from time to time see them on those PT Cruisers. [​IMG]

I wish those aftermarket companies would just let an iconic and well respected thing die in peace.

5. In some neighborhoods they were still popular in the '90s and I am sure that you can still buy an aftermarket continental kit and get the dealer to install it.

I have no idea when factory Continental kits became obsolete, I do know that in the '60s they were a dealer option on anything you could buy with one.

I am not talking about the lincol with the bumpy deck lid I am talking about a true continental rear tire kit.

I saw one on a corvette in the '70s, it was butt ugly, but it was dealer installed according to the older gentleman that owned the car (a '63 or 4).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  6. Hard to believe the rounded bumpers that started in the late 80s lend themselves to continental kits, but then they look like a booger on most cars anyways.