Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lakes pictures. P.R.C.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodiemike, Sep 19, 2014.

1. 296ardun

296ardun

I was just in Tutankhamen's tomb four days ago, it is cool but, your right, this is WONDERFUL!

Stogy likes this.
  2. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As always Gary....you have a great eye for things!! And that goes for Karl for pointing out the steering box. I think the last time, earlier in the thread this picture was posted, I was just fascinated by those risers with the baffles on the end. Don Montgomery was gracious enough to elaborate on that. As always, I really love to hear any and all comments! The knowledge out there on the HAMB is crazy!!!

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  3. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FYI....I did not post anything last weekend as "life" got in the way. Have a little left to go, but now it seem's I am experiencing "technical difficulties" with my scanner. May have to take it out back and shoot it!!!! So keep checking Boys and Girls!

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  4. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

KKrod said:
    Can anyone i.d. the steering box? This was about 1946 so their were no F-1 Ford boxes yet.
    Looks like a '37 Hudson box to me, also appears to have been adapted for a Ford column shift. Too cool!
    `37 hudson steering box 002.JPG
    i believe you are correct concerning the `37 Hudson strng. box [as evidenced by the gusset on the sector shaft housing, not present on ford boxes]. also, looks like the builder mounted the box on top of the frame rail, maybe in an effort to get the drag link back to level, while using a dropped axle.
    tom

Stogy likes this.
  5. Every time I go back through this thread I see things I didn't notice the first ten times around...

It's been pretty well documented that tube shocks (which I believe were introduced on production vehicles in 1937 by Chrysler) and juice brakes came on the scene quickly, becoming almost universal in the hot-rodding 'boom' after WWII. These mods, combined with dropped axles, typify the mid-late 40's style.

A few months ago I got my hands on Don Montgomery's Old Hot Rod Scrapbook and keyed in on a full page photo of Bob Atol's clean little 26-7 RPU (page 108). While 'geeking out' on all the little details, I noticed that the T-on-an-A chassis wore mechanical brakes, a dropped axle, and tube shocks; quite an odd combination.
    The Goal.jpg

Bob's RPU shares a lot in common with some of the cars @woodiemike has posted up...King Bee headlamps, nose-down stance, spreader bar, etc.. but there's more;

The Phaeton belonging to Mike's dad (shown in post 93) also runs mechanical brakes, a dropped axle, and tube shocks;
    Phaeton.jpg

It looks to me like the above photo was taken after the 'towbar incident' which apparently demolished the front suspension (note the lack of shocks & brake actuators in the above picture). I believe this was the original set up;
    phaeton front end.jpg

Comparing the two front ends, it looks like the original (wrecked) unit relied upon metal tabs to align the actuators; this can be seen most clearly on the left actuator (almost looks like a miniature spring shackle). The prior photo shows that the brake actuator 'stems' on the 32-4 perch pins had actually been lengthened by welding; they appear to be one-piece...pretty neat attention to detail.

The Welsh modified (circa 1947) shown here and here sports a similar front suspension treatment;
    welsh t modified 2.jpg

In the last 2 photos it appears that A actuators are used, but they have been flipped - right on left and left on right (the tell-tale is the downward-pointed actuator arms). I reckon this was done to keep the brake rods at the proper height (pretty smart, huh?)

You can also just make out the tube-shocked roadster with mechanical brakes in the March 23, 1947 "Illegal Assembly" photo posted on page 7 (see highlighted area below). I believe the vehicle in question is that of Howie Levine;

Illegal Assembly Howie Levine.jpg

Great stuff, Mike...hope you don't mind my taking liberties with your priceless photos!

6. The actuator extenders probably are front shackle plates, I used them on my model A perches when running a 32 axle to straighten up the actuators so they are around 1 3/4" eye to eye, pictures are pretty blurry but you can just about see them ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426801686.621175.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1426801699.392499.jpg

Lil'Alb, Stogy, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  7. KKrod

KKrod

This car was in the illegal assembly photos. We never decided what "little cog's" refers too.

[​IMG]

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for the picture and comment Tom. A picture is worth a thousand words!!

Stogy likes this.
  9. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As always Gary...your attention to detail is amazing. Always love to see what you have to say, as I have learned so much from your comments. I am totally envious of your knowledge and computer expertise!! I hope you, and others will feel free to comment on anything you see fit! To me, this is what is making this thread so informative. Thank you all!!

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and gwhite like this.
  10. No way, Mike; the thanks all goes to you!

These pictures are simply astounding...Many times over the last few weeks, I've found myself looking at them wondering "huh...why'd they do it that way." Only to get out in the garage, mock it up, and find out for myself. Those old guys knew best - and they did it without the 1-800 speed shop or 'bolt-on' aftermarket part kits. Checkbook hotrodding it most certainly was not!

11. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you Equipped28...again a picture is worth a thousand words! Sweet car!!

Stogy likes this.
  12. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I have said before Gary...this is History that should be shared by all! And I am happy to do so. I absolutely love the quote..."checkbook hotrodding"...awesome!!

Stogy likes this.
  13. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still having problems with the scan, but will try to get something in anyway. See where it goes, and hope all enjoy. The one with the flywheel was posted earlier.

IMG_1303.JPG IMG_1304_1.JPG IMG_1309.JPG IMG_1305.JPG IMG_1310.JPG IMG_1306.JPG IMG_1312.JPG IMG_1307_1.JPG IMG_1311.JPG

63fdsnr, Lil'Alb, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  14. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

This would appear to be Jack Mickelson's neat roadster. Jack was in the Gophers club and worked with Earl Evans to get top speeds. The roadster was driven on the streets and raced at the Lakes. Jack's roadster hit a 129.31 mph speed, which was very, very good for a roadster that was also street driven.
    Don
    IMG_1312.JPG

Stogy, kidcampbell71, Brujo29 and 4 others like this.
  15. with Chrysler the first with hydraulic brakes in 1924 you would have thaught?....some one would have keyed in on that - didn't the have a tube axle around 1937 - like Ford?

Stogy likes this.
  16. TigerFan

TigerFan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Athens, GA

Gary, Don, and especially woodiemike: The HAMB community can't thank you enough for your well-informed and thoughtful history lessons. It would be a shame for all this knowledge and the related stories to fade away. Thank you all so much...

17. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can't beat first hand knowledge!! As always Don, love to hear your comments! Jack was someone my Dad hung around with all the time, and mentioned him quite often. Haven't heard from you in awhile Don; glad to see you are still checking in. Don do you know what "little cogs" referred too? Was it a club, or group or something? I and others like KKrod [Karl] would like to know what it stands for if you or anyone knows. It is mentioned on several of the pictures, and even on some of the cars. I do not remember my Dad or Mom mentioning anything. Any help out there?? Again...your knowledge and comments are what is making this thread work!! Thank you "HAMSTERS"!!

Stogy likes this.
  18. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello TigerFan;
    Thank you so very much for the kind words. I still maintain that this History should be shared by all!! And the knowledge that is so freely given on the HAMB is totally fantastic. And people are glad to give that knowledge for all to see, and use. Where else can you get this kind of platform to share all the vast knowledge that is our there? The HAMB, and the people are just as deserving as anything I can provide!!! Kudo's to the HAMB and HAMSTERS!!

Stogy, 117harv, jmiller1918 and 2 others like this.
  19. Little cogs could refer to a taller gear ratio to get better top end speed? That is the first thing that came to mind

Blakie Gold roadster behind the channelled Yoder '32 looked familiar, I have not seen another roadster with that nudge bar (nerf bar). Dean Batchelor '32 had that same bar on the roadster he ran in 1948 so it is likely the same car, aerial holes filled and grille shell peaked would have been done by Valley custom in '48.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

thumb-php.jpg

Stogy, kidcampbell71, HEMI32 and 5 others like this.
  20. here is a picture of the same type of steering box from the early 50s
    [​IMG]

Lil'Alb, Stogy, Pufff and 3 others like this.
  21. KKrod

KKrod

22. Good call Jimmy & Karl. Not sure what that box came out of...interesting.

Stogy likes this.
  23. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As always Jimmy....your photo archive is fantastic!! Awesome picture of the steering box, and the motor! Love the blower set up. As far as your "little cog's" theory; it's as good as any as far as I'm concerned. Thanks Jimmy.

Stogy likes this.
  24. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK Kids.....going to be away this weekend, so will throw together a page for all to enjoy. Again..more "little cogs"!! Maybe I should offer some kind of reward for information! HA!! Thank you all for the kind words, support, and comments.

IMG_1297.JPG IMG_1298.JPG IMG_1318.JPG IMG_1299.JPG IMG_1319.JPG IMG_1300.JPG IMG_1320.JPG

63fdsnr, Stogy, Pufff and 3 others like this.
  25. Great stuff as always, Mike! I wonder if "The Little Cogs" were a sub-group of the P.R.C.; sort of a club within the club.

Anyway, safe travels & happy Easter! Looking forward to the next installment!

Stogy likes this.
  26. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you Gary! Want to wish you, your family, and all the HAMBERS out there a Happy Easter! Hope to visit my Aunt in a couple of weeks; maybe I can "jog" here memory on the "little cogs" thing!!??

Stogy likes this.
  28. Sorry for the over quotes, hit the wrong key. Bob Atol was my dentist from age 15 until I was 45 and moved too far away to make it convenient to keep seeing him. He is, however, still my dad's dentist and works 2 or 3 days a week at his practice in Eagle Rock, Ca. Bob spends the rest of his time playing with his 15 or 20 dirt bikes and recently received his private pilots license. He still has his auto interest and we talk every few months; he still has a great memory and he is 85+ years young, (my dad is 93). Hot rods may be the key to youth and longevity.

Stogy, gwhite and 296ardun like this.
  29. That's awesome, thanks for the info! Bob's RPU has been a HUGE inspiration and according to the caption in Don Montgomery's book, the little pickup is still around. Going to see if I can get in contact with Mr. Atol...

Stogy likes this.
  30. Correction to the info I had posted previously...those are not A actuators on the Welsh roadster and McNatt Phaeton. I spent some time out in the garage this week mocking up a mechanical brake/dropped axle combo and discovered that they were actually using '32-34 actuators...that's the only way I could get it to work with actuators bolted to the front of the perch (or perch extension in this case) and arms pointing down. Last night I happened to notice this photo of the Welsh roadster (seen on p.14) which confirms my 'discovery';

Welsh Roadster Top showing brake actuator detail mod.jpg

This is (by far) my favorite thread on the HAMB...these detail shots are priceless! And for those that have asked; be looking forward to a feature on The Jalopy Journal [main page] on this photo album!

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.