Register now to get rid of these ads!

Labor Day Weekend in Kansas City...GREASERAMA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PUNK RODDER, Aug 6, 2009.

1. 54fordgasser

54fordgasser
    from Kansas

Just got to school at Mcpherson College last week but im heading up trying to drum up some interest down here with all the students from around the country. Hands down the best show in the area. Thanks Punk Rods for always throwin a killer show thats friendly to all. heres a video I made from pics I took last year. For those familiar with the KC scene from a while back you'll recognize the band that is unfortunatly defunct these days http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xuk2F30xJU

2. Calling for rain tonight, so I'll be the guy in the bigblock yellow Burb in the RecordBar lot. Cool. Can't miss it, it's only about a 2mile long truck. Carl Hagan

3. LULL

LULL

4. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

See everyone there Sunday, Look for a white 63 Galaxie (me), a flamed 49 Ford (my uncle Tom) and a Red 66 Chevy short bed Pu with alot of tire in the back (Dad Lawrence).

Wish I could make it tonight but my non-car crowd friends have rented a limo since it's my first weekend off in about a year and they plan on getting me pass out drunk.

5. Don't think I'll be at the pre reg party tonight. The Record really ain't my scene, and my rod has no roof.

6. KCsledz

KCsledz

had a quick letterpress job come up for a couple in Spain that need to get printed tonight and shipped tomorrow. But I will be at the gate to get in with or without sleep tomorrow!

7. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Be there!!

8. ...need a dry run on the buick since I put it back together....should at least get me a one way to the Merriam!

9. I'm excited... leaving in early tomorrow! See you all there!

10. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I am heading out there tonight - I will be there in the morning setting up early - be sure to come by and see the new Vintage Torque DVD.........and if you need info about the Torque Fest in eastern Iowa - let us know....

we will be right next to the concession stand - I will have the 50 different styles of shirts and the hot rod DVDs / posters/ stickers/patches etc

I was amazed to talk to about 5 people here at the Davenport IA Antique Bike Swap that are heading down to Greaserama tomorrow morning. A national event like Greaserama really draws em in from all over! I talked to a couple of guys that drove over from Maryland - they are heading to KC to check out the show on the way back home......I asked isnt that a bit outta the way? NO WAY - it's one of the reasons we came all the way over here - we always heard about the Greaserama and we wanna check it out!

So people from EAST coast coming to check out the show..........great stuff

seeya tomorrow

11. sololobo

sololobo

Just a few hours away and I am stoked. Blowin down with X-derelicht and Rob Lee. Best temps ever for this show, high around 80, bingo. Lookin forward to seeing some old pals and makin some new ones. Los Punk Rods are deluxe mofo's!! See ya soon. ~Sololobo~ p.s. we will honk as we drive by the G.G. show on the way to the real deal!!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  12. wheelbarrowsgarage

wheelbarrowsgarage
    BANNED
    from Missiry

I will be there with a buddy selling VINTAGE style T-shirts, stickers, and some cool shifter knobs. Come check us out!

!RETRO ACCESSORIES!

13. I'm here now, got some lines on my dash from Von Mex, sippin a cocktail, havin a GOOD time!

14. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

if there is another thread that I should post this on - let me know

othewise here is my report from the show:

I always look forward to heading down to Kansas City and hanging out with the Los Punk Rods. These are guys that know
    how to wrench and they have some cool rides in their stable. This is not like the typical hot rod show you see around the
    country where some guy is glaring at you like a hawk waiting for you to get too close to his $12000 paint job. This show has
    a real laid back atmosphere, and there ARE some really nice cars that show up for this show as well. The difference is
    the attitude of the participants of Greaserama.

The Good Guys show is also held the same weekend-
    up the road, about 20 minutes away, and many many people are now heading out to that show in the morning and then going to
    eat in the evening and arrive at the Greaserama about 5pm. Considering the Greaserama goes til about 1am...that is plenty of
    time to get there and still enjoy all the scenes.
    When you saw all the cars that were at the drive in this year - it is easy to see that the movies are no longer the draw
    at this show - it is just another added attraction that people can stick around for....or not. I never heard the final
    numbers on how many cars actually showed up - but someone said 500 cars. I believe it. They may well run out of room in
    the next couple of years. Where will they go? Who knows....but if they ever move the show outta there - I will follow.

This year the movie selection was not full of my favorites, but I did see some comic book geeks hanging around to be able
    to see THX 1138 - George Lucas' first movie. At least they were entertained by this snoozefest. I know some of the guys
    in Los Punk Rods think this was a great movie, but I think I would rather see Horror at Party Beach then that sci fi bore job.
    In the past Two Lane Blacktop, Tales of the Rat Fink, Repo Man, King of the Mountain, The Wild One, etc have been shown, so
    next year I am sure the movie selection will get back up to par.

The bands are always a highlight at the Greaserama, and this year was no exception. The Bleach Bloodz were pretty amazing to
    watch and Ultraman were always one of my favorite bands when I would get to see them live back in the 80s. Mad Macka was
    a site to behold as well - very entertaining. I did not get a chance to see the Misfits cover band - but everyone says
    Bloodfeast was full of high energy and gave the crowd what they wanted.

Another part of the show that some people miss is the art gallery. This is one of MY favorite parts of the show. Each
    artist you see in the tent is hand picked by Eric (Hellwagon). He knows the good stuff and only lets in the artist with real
    talent. 3 Sheets, Nick Sinclair, Doug Dorr (Special guest this year from California), Max Grundy, Big Toe, Damian Fulton,
    Jason 3 Sheets, Queen Pin Deluxe, Gary Mizar, Nicole Steen, Paul Kester, Whiskey,
    Frankie Von Dell, Amy Reyes, Ben Mitchell, Ryan Yoakum,
    Bob the Serial Artist, Karaskustoms,
    Todd Sheres (Toyghoul), and
    Kryszt of Nemeth and Demented Illustrations. It should be noted that the art shown are not prints, these are all originals
    and they are all for sale. Many are purchased right at the beginning of the show because some of the artists put
    their art at a super low price. So the artist selection this year was much higher quality than the previous years.
    So Eric and all the contributing artist deserve high praise for making the art gallery such a success this year.

Thanks to some help from the club,
    I was able to go out and film a bit of the show for a future segment on Vintage Torque DVDs. And we are going to do our next issue
    of our magazine focusing ONLY on the Greaserama. Our zine is a flip book that focuses on art on 1 side and hot rods on the other.
    So be sure to check that out in October. Tyler from the Los Punk Rods watched my booth and is a terrific salesman.
    Everytime a potential customer came to the stand, Tyler would practically yell at them-"Hey - have you seen Vintage
    Torque? It is this guys magazine - he does it all himself. You should buy it." I must say after hearing this about
    20 times I was ready to get outta there, cause I just don't push stuff like that. But I found it very funny and when
    people would look at me as if to ask "is this guy serious?", I would say - yeah - this is my little project that I spend
    some free time on. Some people bowl, some people watch TV, some people go to bars.....I like to produce magazines and DVDs. But the difference with my hobby is that I have something that other
    people can enjoy, and it makes a little (very little) money as well. At the end of the show, after standing around from
    8am - 1am on Saturday and then 9:30 am to 11pm on Sunday - I was dead dog tired. Luckily, Roberto, Cos, and Tyler all
    helped me load my trailer. Not sure I could have made it without you guys. SO a big thank you for all the heavy lifting.
    It means a lot to an old dude like me!

While Tyler was hanging around the booth with me this weekend, I was telling him all the plans I had for the Vintage Torque
    Fest coming up next year - www.vintagetorquefest.com - and I told him that this would be a non profit show. Our daughter
    has to have a couple more open heart surgerys down the road and my wife has been after me for a couple of years to set up a
    non profit for past & future medical expenses. I have always said - yes that is a good idea, but will get around to it later.
    Once I told her about the idea of a hot rod show, she said - you know you should make this a non profit show and have the
    proceeds go to HelpingHannahsHeart.org (a site that will be launched very soon). Again, I said, yes that is a good idea,
    but had not really followed up on it. Frankly, I feel kind of weird accepting other people's money without giving them
    something back in return. This is why I have never really told people that we have a child that has had all these heart
    issues. But let me tell you....when Todd - one of the founders of Los Punk Rods came over to my booth and told me that
    Los Punk Rods would like to contribute some seed money for our little girls medical expenses, I was blown away. I really
    did not know what to say, and it almost made me cry. No one has ever done anything like this, and I have never
    expected it. These guys are truly genuine. I am humbled at the generosity that the club has shown, and will forever
    be in their debt. If you see these guys, they may look rough, but they have hearts bigger than most. All together
    an amazing group of individuals that have built a show that is a must see AND gives back to the community.
    Viva Los Punk Rods!

15. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Saw the RPU, but where were the accessory headlights?
    :)

16. Dont know.....think she was with the Wide Open crew.

17. Well, apparently rat rods are cool to the photog from the Kansas City Star - see pics on www.kansascity.com and you'll know what I mean. Sheesh...

18. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Moody is so dreamy.[​IMG]

The cool kids parked in the back. WAYYY in the back.

Attached Files:

19. COS

COS
    from KCMO

I know the car count was at least 740!! That was one of the last registration cards I saw!! That is a little over 100 more than last year!! Thanks to all who attended!!

-COS

20. 59ratgasser

59ratgasser
    from BFE,kansas

I had a great time. The movies left a lot to be desired. Heres a couple of good candidates for next year "Christine" and " HotRod" with the primered willys in it. great car show The gasser and crew will be back next year.

21. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

I had a great time, my number was 752, amazing. !!!!! 1500 miles on the old pontiac makes for a great but hot weekend!!!

22. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Funny you say that we tried to get "Christine" for this year but was told that last know copy in the format needed for a drive in was lost/F'ed up earlier this year!! The hard part for finding moives to show is finding them in the format we need to show them.. If anybody has a line on this kind of stuff let us know!!

-COS

23. Plowboy

Plowboy

We have a drive in here that plays all of the latest movies....I don't know how though.

24. 59ratgasser

59ratgasser
    from BFE,kansas

What format is required? I know a guy in my town that owns 3 theatres I will ask him.

25. Photos | Greaserama vintage car show

08:40 AM CDT
    Car enthusiasts, rockabilly rebels and babydolls gathered at the Boulevard Drive-In in Kansas City, Kan., for the 9th-annual Greaserama vintage car show.
    at www.kansascity.com (the Kansas City Star website dozens of pictures)<!-- End: /pubsys/production/story/assets/external_link.comp -->

26. COS

COS
    from KCMO

I am not sure of the format?? Not my deal just repeating what I have heard Punk Rod Todd say... Finding "old car related moives" that we can rent in the format is getting harder and harder to find...

27. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

I may be speaking out of turn here - but the idea of showing new movies is not what this is all about - they were going to show Inglorious Basterds that Monday AFTER Greaserama.

The idea of showing old movies is part of the feeling of the show.

As for format to find...........you have to find actual 35mm reels of these old films.

Not an easy task when you are trying to find films that are 40 years old.

And I can tell ya with 99% certainty that the Hot Rod - Rebel on the Road (the Willys movie [available on our site]) will not be shown, since that was a TV movie. Wes (owner of the drive in) would have to upgrade his projector mightily to be able to show DVDs in order to show that at the drive in.

28. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Boy that bike is dumb.

29. Plowboy

Plowboy

I never said they should play new movies, I was just letting it be known that there may be some other technology out there to play other films, I think the local drive in has digital technology....carry on.