Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage LA Roadster Show Sold ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagehotrods, Oct 18, 2016.

1. I heard a rumor last night that the LA Roadsters sold the rights to the LA Roadster Show to John Buck, the owner and promoter of the Grand National Roadster Show (Rod Shows). Has anyone else heard of this? Supposedly the roadsters won't be coming through the gate without paying an entry fee this year. I haven't seen anything posted anywhere so its still a mystery.

2. I had read this on another site as well. But neither John's nor L. A. Roadster site's confirm this.

Mick

3. I was at the Early Tin Dusters event in Quincy, IL this past weekend and someone was talking about this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Lots of rumours flying around right now, I heard one the other day that Goodguys was buying it. I would take it all with a grain of salt until I have good reason to do otherwise.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

bulk of LA roadsters members are not getting any younger

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Very true, this is having a big effect on a lot of long time local shows as well.

62hotcat and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Due to the demographics in the hobby everything is changing. Attendance is down and since the LA Roadster Shows 50th anniversary it has suffered. And the weather hasn't helped either because it has been pretty hot there the last two years too. Although I go to the LARS and GNRS every year I don't go to as many of the other events scheduled every year any more either. I did go to Northwest Deuce Days this year and it was the best thing I've ever attended. We made the trip into a two month vacation. I really miss the old format of shows like Americruise that went to a different place every year because it just gets tiresome to go to the same place every year. For me its more fun to do the smaller specialized events like the recent TROG, the Hot Rod Hill Climb, Arizona Deuce Day and the Deuce Reunion. It is also rumored that Goodguys is considering opening their events for later models like the do on Sundays. Its a business so that dictates what they have to do.

Deucedreamer and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No mystery!-----The "L.A. Roadsters Fathers day SHOW has been sold to John Buck of GNRS.---John is also a member of LAR club.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Thanks Don for confirming what I heard. Do you know if there will be any changes this year from what it was in the past?

11. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

John will run the "SHOW" with his crew.----All of us LAR members will be in red n white as usual, only NOT working the show as before---Kinda' like roving "Ambasadors".

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, that clears that up!:D

13. As Nobel Prize winner, Bob Dylan said, " The times they are a changin'".:D

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  14. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

The question remains, what real changes have been made? Fees? Vendors? Etc etc.....

Deucedreamer likes this.
  15. So maybe now the swap meet can be run correctly so there is spaces for everyone.

16. Deucedreamer

Deucedreamer
    from BC Canada

Any time a show gets turned into a "business venture" it will never be the same again. You'll find cool traditions will get cast aside for the all mighty dollar (such as charging for roadsters, if that is what is going to happen). Such a shame for such a cool show. It was on my bucket list, but maybe now I will reconsider that... Oh well.

deucemac, stillrunners and j3harleys like this.
  17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for correct info - Deuce Daddy Don
    bet that you will be a good one

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I have never been, saving it for when I retire. Now I don't think I will ever make that ride. Sure as shooting the event will now become a show and profit dictates decisions Maybe it is now time for a new tradition to start up. Get back to the roots of the hobby (not a sport). Deuce days was great but that may be threatened as well. The little run down in NW Wa, I forget the group (Swindlers?) looks good for sure.

53FordEffie likes this.
  19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20. deucemac

deucemac

I hope that Buck doesn't rock the boat. I have brought my roadster there for many years. Primarily because how us roadster owners were treated. The LA Roadsters guys have been great ambassadors of the hobby. It is nice to truly feel welcomed and even thanked for bringing my car. I don't have a high zoot show car and still it is nice to be appreciated instead of hearing people direct you around and act like they are doing you a favor by allowing you to park your car and pay them whatever fee they demand. It has been a sort of family reunion of fellow hot rodders for over 30 years for me. When was the last time you were thanked by people running the show? I can understand somewhat as I was saddened and surprised to see cases of pewter mugs being boxed up 2 years ago as we left because fewer roadsters showed up. I remember when so many people had roadsters there that they ran out of mugs on Sunday and mailed out mugs to guys last in line. If they charge entry fees on the roadsters in 2017, it will be my last. It is one of the oldest traditions in our hobby. I guess I should not start hanging black crepe yet. Don, any word on changes yet?

21. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

X2 on hoping the swapmeet is run better. As a vendor for the last couple years...I have to say sadly, hands down worst run swap. All the club guys are nice...not their fault in any way other than that they farm out staging and getting into the swapmeet to some outside group that has no business doing that job. Returning vendors on Saturday and Sunday also have to get in line with everybody else...instead of a special line to get in faster. Took me nearly 2 hours to get in last time Saturday morning. By the time I got in there I was ready to kill someone I was so pissed. I could go on...but I'll hope for the best.

stillrunners likes this.
  22. Lil32

Lil32

Don, we have booked to come over again in 2017, will look out for U, we are heading up to Oregon before LARS
    Noel

Attached Files:

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  23. You are absolutely right!

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

From what I have heard(more rumours:rolleyes::D), Deuce Days will soldier on, but it probably wont be in downtown Victoria any more.

25. Don, I don't believe that is 100% accurate - My understanding is that John has agreed to Lease the show from the LA Roadsters - they will still own the rights to the show. The agreement is for X number of years and apparently he has talked about using more buildings that what was used in the past.

For the rest of the comments;
    Part of the problem is the LA Roadster Club is just that - a Club. There were many aspects of the show that were not run like a business and were very inefficient. It is possible that the Roadsters will not be Free any longer, but many of the things that have been discussed should make it a better show, including a better lay out of the cars, vendors, specialty parking etc, I understand that some changes are planned for the swap meet as well, including assigned (you pick from what's available) spaces that will be pre paid. This will levitate the huge cluster fuck of a line up and hours to get in, only to find that some schmuck has roped off an area for his buddies who never show up. It should also keep it from being so spread out with giant empty spaces that make walking it a nightmare.
    All of this and more is just being talked about at this point, but I for one believe that there is a good chance that these things could really improve the show. Instead of automatically being negative and saying that it is going to be ruined by money etc. Blah Blah Blah - at least give it a chance and see what changes are made before talking shit.

RICH B, Jim Bouchard, Hnstray and 9 others like this.
  26. alchemy

alchemy

I can't believe you guys are crying about a registration charge for such a cool event. If I had something like that close to me I'd pay $100 to get in. Californians are spoiled.

tractorguy and Hnstray like this.
  27. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

For what it's worth, the Jackson Rod Run died this year too. The members of E.I.E.I.O. that did all the work are getting up there or dying off, and the newer generation would rather watch You-Tube videos than pitch in and take over. They aren't the only club with this problem. Also, a lot of the older guys like me will go to car shows that support good charatys and help support hot rodding with the public, or get together for cruise nights and runs, but we won't pay to put our cars in a show to make some rich promoter richer anymore.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  28. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

For what it's worth...I love that show! Since the swap aspect was so poorly managed...it has nowhere to go but up...

paintslinger805 likes this.
  29. Long lines to get in the old car parking, really bad and uninformed/clueless security outside the gates.........but hands down one of the BEST swapmeets (and car shows when I make it in there) in California. It would take a lot to rain on my parade for that swap.

30. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well I would think the more enlightened members of the downtown business community would step up as it does a lot of good for those businesses during the show week. Bugger the Empresss, they don't deserve any benefit. Hopefully by the next Deuce Days comes around I will finally have started and finished my '32 5W ready to go. Plus I like the t-shirts. LOL