Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods L31 Carburetor Conversion Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48pontiactorpedo, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Hello Gentleman,

Newbie here, I will soon be purchasing the L31 (Part [HASHTAG]#12530283[/HASHTAG]) from Jegs that I want to convert to using a carburetor. What do I need to do for the conversion ? What else do I need to purchase ?

Also, will this be fine with my TH350 Trans ?

Thanks Guys

2. Budget36

Budget36

Those were just originally TBI truck engines, right?
    Intake, distributor, carb.
    Your trans will bolt up fine.
    I don't know what you have for an engine now, but ofcourse you'll need all accessory brackets and such.

Were those truck serpentine belted?..If so, you need to make sure (assuming you'll run V-belts) that you don't ask for a water pump from those years, as they would be reverse rotation (if serp belt used).

volvobrynk and 48pontiactorpedo like this.
  3. that motor has a one piece rear main seal , so you will need the appropriate flexplate

the intake manifold will have to be the later type where all the bolts go straight down , not at an angle like the earlier motors

48pontiactorpedo likes this.

4. I believe I'll also need an electric fuel pump now, do you agree ?

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  5. Budget36

Budget36

The description says based on '86-'90 block, so I think you are correct...a quick call to Jegs would confirm/deny it.

6. You may you may not. The original production blocks from 86 to the early 90's have the fuel pump pushrod machined in the block and have a block off plate. The later 90's blocks are cast for the fuel pump but not machined. Also if it is for a TBI motor the cam in it may not have a lobe for the fuel pump.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He will need an electric fuel pump, even if the boss is there, and the hole for the pushrod is drilled.

The cam in a native TBI/TPI/EFI engine does NOT have a lobe to run a fuel pump.

8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

9. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

L31 (Part [HASHTAG]#12530283[/HASHTAG]) That is the Vortec 350 '96 up. You will need Vortec intake, headers and electric fuel pump. Best Iron heads made though.

Specs: RPO - L31
    1986-2000 style block, 1pc rear seal 4 bolt mains -(No mechanical Fuel Pump Provision)
    Nodular Iron Crankshaft
    Powdered Metal Connecting Rods
    Hypereutectic Pistons
    9.4:1 Compression Ratio
    Roller Camshaft-
    Specs-
    Intake Lift- .414"
    Exhaust Lift-.428"
    Intake Duration @.050"- 191
    Exhaust Duration @ .050-196
    Lobe Centerline-111
    Vortec Cylinder Heads- 64cc,1.94" intake,1.50" exhaust
    Includes: Oil Pan, Timing Cover,Valve Covers and Harmonic Balancer

10. I kinda wondered that. I have only ever used those motors for a mild build up and always tossed the cam out and replaced it.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When the carburetors went away, so did the lobe. A cam-swap can fix it, but make sure before you buy.

12. Thanks guys. So to clarify, along with the L31 I will need the intake, distributor, and electric fuel pump to convert it to carburetor. I won't need to do anything else to it for the carb conversion, right ? Thanks again guys, huge help from the Hamb community.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are planning on running an Edelbrock carburetor, you will need a fuel pressure regulator.

14. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

So long you have a Vortec intake. And Vortec headers. They do not swap with the pre-96 small block stuff.