Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Kustoms blues? I need to see some kustoms....

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by straykatkustoms, Oct 6, 2014.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I need to get the video out and watch it...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  2. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder what happened to this '55 Buick. All I remember his name was Gene and he lived in Missouri. Gene passed away years ago, had a good time running around with him. Love his east coast style.

KUSTOM 205.jpg

KUSTOM 204.jpg

KUSTOM 208.jpg

KUSTOM 209.jpg

KUSTOM 207.jpg

KUSTOM 206.jpg

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  3. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

I've seen Mick's 51 Merc for years. I remember the ugly duckling era; a better term is butt ugly. We met at the Lonestar Roundup in Austin. He was passing flyers to the Straykat 500 in Dewey, OK. I attended that show and returned back often. Micky has turned his Merc from a 4 door into a beautifull 2 door. He had help doing it. He has an infectious personality. I can't say no to him; and I'm not the only one. He is a kustom car advocate. I last saw his 51 in Lamar, MO in October. It was the only show I attended last year. Since April I have been occupied with a battle with cancer. I'm still fighting it. He has been a major cheerleader for me. I hope to drive my 39 to Dewey this year. I don't care what color he runs this year. He has always done things his way; and it works. I hope to see him soon.

4. The back end was quite a bit higher then than it is now, too. It's come a long way. :)

5. I loved that Buick when I saw it at Ft. Smith in the fresh pink primer. He won "Best Primer" that year (1989). I liked the color so much and since the primer on my '64 Pontiac was needing redone, I decided to redo it pink. I went to the paint shop and all they had was grey primer instead of white to try to tint. They also has a quart of left over maroon lacquer, so I figured I'd mix the two and I'd get close. As I added the maroon to the grey primer, it went lavender. My eyes kinda bugged, but I kept going thinking it would get better....the more maroon I added, the lavender-er it got. But, no turning back, so on it went. Still wearing the same primer today....well mostly. LOL

pontiac 2.jpg 00000073.jpg 12239534_10153332748677462_692942955673834189_n.jpg

6. Slopok

Slopok

Now that's Ol School, just try painting in a parking lot today!

gonmad, drdave and straykatkustoms like this.
  7. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

The only thing worse is using a rattle can and no mask. You do what you have to do. My 39 is black; a magic marker does the trick for touch-up.

Sancho and straykatkustoms like this.
  8. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Herb for the kind words. I have been blessed with a lot of kool friends.
    Hope to see ya next month.

Sancho likes this.
  9. That's the parking lot of the Baptist Student Union I lived in. When I first moved in, they had never had any tenants in the past that came with their own tool chest, pocket mig and air compressor. They were always amused by whatever I was doing. Good times. :D

10. morac41

morac41

Hi ..At a club meeting just recently...A pair of 49 Caddys...mine is the green Fleetwood and a friends Sedanette

m_IMG_4575.jpg

11. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd like to have been at your club meeting. Love those Caddys...

12. Larry Krammer's show, 1987.-MIKE
    40 Custom.jpg
    40 Ford.jpg
    buick.jpg
    Custom.jpg Customs.jpg
    Land Shark.jpg
    Merc.jpg
    Merc2.jpg Mr.Merc-Bailon car.jpg
    Terry Cook.jpg

13. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting the pics, lot of kool that I hadn't seen before..

14. 'Mo

'Mo

[​IMG]

This car was originally built for Sonny Morris by Joe Bailon, and called the "Blue Mirage". Bailon was once quoted to have called it the favorite of his builds.

[​IMG]

Mr. Merc later owned the car, and may have had it chopped. The last I heard, it may be rusting in a field somewhere. (?)
    EDIT: Car has since been 'Re-styled'.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Stebo27 likes this.
  15. Man, you guys are killin' it lately with all the great pics and comments. I'm gonna wear out the "LIKE" button!

KUSTOM 209.jpg

Thanks for posting this picture, straykat! This is one of my all time favorite local (Denver area) cars.

I used to see it all the time at the local Jim's Burger Haven Cruise Nights back in the late 80s and early 90s. Always loved the name "Chantilly Lace" that was lettered on the front quarters, and the pink and white kandy stripe tuck 'n' roll was over the top! The owner, Jack (sorry, can't recall his last name) was always very kind to me when I looked at the car, which was every time I saw it. Couldn't get enough. I'd just keep circling it over, and over and over again.

I remember in the late 90s when Jack put it up for sale, he was asking $11,800, which was a lot of money back then, but not really for a mild kustom 2 door hardtop '59 Impala. When I saw it at a cruise for sale, I almost passed out, I couldn't believe he was going to part with it. Jack knew I loved the car, and he told me if I could come up with the cash, he'd let me have it for $9,500. I tried so hard to gather up enough dough to buy it, but I came up short. I was pretty bummed about that for a long time. Every time I see the car, I think back to what might have been if I hadn't been a young, broke, kustom nut.

Last I heard, it was sold and went to Japan. I hope whoever is the current caretaker is treating her right..........E

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  16. Oops, almost forgot, get well soon 39-2dr. We're all pulling for you. Keep up the fight! Take care! E

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  17. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

Rusting away in a field would have been a much more dignified situation for this once great kustom. Sadly, this is what became of it. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453520018.805171.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453520038.171142.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453520048.238987.jpg

18. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Jack Kaufman was the owner's name and it was a great looking '59... he also had a '55/'56/'57 Chevy half ton he used to drive. Jack is still around Denver and works for a realty company, I run into him every once in a while altho I don't think he ever built or bought another kustom...

R-

OG lil E likes this.
  19. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

Thanks for the encouragement. I need it. It's going to take a while.

20. Zed likes this.
  21. Man, that is just wrong! Why would anyone do that? Be nice if somebody took it back to the Bailon look.

Jack Kaufman, that's it. Thanks Roger. He is a great guy. Glad to know he is still around. He should build another sled, he did a great job on "Chantilly Lace". E

Moriarity likes this.
  22. buick boy

buick boy

Are you kidding about the Joe Bailon Merc? I use to see it when I lived in Wisconsin and attended the Mid City Mercury show, in Kenosha during the late 80s early 90s, with my chopped 40 Mercury convertible. It was owned by Mr. Merc at the time and he would be there selling parts as well as showing the car.
    Being a real traditionalist I hate to see anything with that kind of history changed.
    Seeing this forum has renewed my enthusiasm and am working to get my cars back on the road.
    As soon as I get a chance I will post some pictures from some of the early KKOA shows.

drdave, Sancho and Centurion9 like this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It is a shame about the Bailon Blue Mirage merc, when I was in my early teens that car was for sale just a few miles from here for 500 dollars that was in 1973 or 1974. The car had barrel seats a record player and had keystone classic wheels on it....

54delray, drdave and straykatkustoms like this.
  24. Slopok

Slopok

You probably already had too many cars even back then.;)

Moriarity likes this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

haha, I had 1 car a 55 chev 2dr ht LOL ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453600913.643255.jpg

26. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

Royboy's new custom is taking shape. I can't wait to see it up close.

27. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Interesting use of Plymouth fins and tail lights on a Chevy. Kinda like it.

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I fell in love with that 54 Chevy when I saw it in Des Moines at the Leadsleds in about 85. Don Curtain owned it at that time. I heard the present owner dosent`t get it out at all. Too Bad.