Register now to get rid of these ads!

Knob grille on a early 60's custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jobe, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Hey all,

I have a 62 caddy I'm working up ideas for a custom grille for. I picked up what looks like a late 50's tube grille to cut down and fit between the dual headlights. But I've allways liked the cool chrome knob grilles I've seen on a a few cars here and there. Was the knob grille more of a 50's or 60's thing?

Thanks for any feedback...

bryan

2. DrJ

DrJ

50's and '60's.
    With the high price and shitty chrome quality of knobs these days you might conside a '58 Buick or '59 Caddy or similar grill cut to fit.
    A perfect, even high priced grill may end up being cheaper than a couple hundred times $2 each knobs that may peel and pit inside of a year because they werent' made to be out doors.
    If I had a '62 Caddy, I'd swap on the more dynamic "pointy looking" '61 grill or whole front clip if available. Should be a bolt on cept the trim.

Those two are my favorite '60's era Caddys.
    (favorite is a '53 of course)

3. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Yeah I love the 61 grille, but they are hard to find and expensive when you do!
    I found the simple knobs for .59 cents each, but I didn't think about them not holding up to the weather...especially since I don't have a garage!

thanks

bryan

4. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

Just for kicks, check out the December '59 issue of Car Craft....VERY liberal use of COLOR knobs, but still a fun cover article on bullet grille kits and an install on a 55 Chevy pictorial....
    I'll ask Kali to post the article later if you are curious...

Johnny

5. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Johnny

that would be cool...thanks. I was looking at clear glass knobs today at the hardware store...

bryan

6. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

Ok so the guys above say that the crome on knobs today is crap, easy solution scratch them up a bit(so you know they have been rechromed afterwards) and send them to a GOOD chrome plater-shouldnt cost a lot. And another tip wax any thing chrome that is going to be exposed to the elements, chrome is pourous, it has tiny holes in it that allow water to get to the metal underneath and corrode/rust it -lots of wax will keep it good and corrosion free for years.

7. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

I just remembered some of the more WAY-OUT ideas and uses of hardware items- handles,drawer pulls, and the like......I remembered thinking, "Those REALLY look like kitchen drawer handles..." no matter what they did to 'em....

In any case, looking forward to your ideas and creativity....

Johnny

8. Here is a shot of the grille in the El Matador that I owned in the seventies.
    It was individual pieces cut and shaped from extrusion in the shape of a airplane wing. Lots of filing and shaping, but truly unique.

Attached Files:

9. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Chrome ball knobs. 88x $3= not cheap. But cool:DSparky

Attached Files:

10. twofosho

twofosho

Never was a fan of the hardware store drawpull knob thing, guess it was a little before my time, seems to have hit it's peak around 1958 or so. Start talking handmade bar or eggcrate grilles made from plate and/or bar or round stock and you get my attention big time, probably because they really came into vogue around 61-62 or so, (think A Brothers or Fostoria Custom). Always loved grilles made with Desoto or Corvette or 54 Chev teeth, too. Been known to make a quicky grille out of expanded metal mesh on occasion though, looked pretty damn good actually, for something quick and dirty.

11. sojerscraper

sojerscraper

i always wanted to see someone use chrome motorcycle headlight buckets turned backwards. just an idea. probably been done too.

12. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

13. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Another idea is those chainlink gate corner connectors, polished,turned point side outwards. You can hold them together with allthread,and short pieces of polished aluminum tubing in between. They look sort of like chevy teeth. Sorry no pic. Sparky. Also the potmetal fencepost caps,make good axle caps,when polished.

14. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I need more info about this. My brain isn't coming up with a picture of that which you speak.

Sounds very interesting though.

15. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

16. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Photography isn't my strong point, but here's my '55 with 126 knobs, as I recall..............

[​IMG]

17. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

tagman

your car gave me an idea...see the pic below. I dont' want the knobs that dense but I photoshopped out the grille and the center bar on the bumper...
    opinions?

[​IMG]

18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

coopercruisers, very cool !! I like it.

19. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

check out the grill on my wifes car on (new to the hamb profile)
    alex

p.s. knob,s cost is about $1.00 ea. Iknow barris did the knob thing in the 50,s maybe even earlyer. but its def. a 60,s touch

20. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

check out the grill on my wifes car on (new to the hamb profile)
    alex

p.s. knob,s cost is about $1.00 ea. Iknow barris did the knob thing in the 50,s maybe even earlyer. but its def. a 60,s touch

21. Plowboy

Plowboy

Anybody gotta cheaper source for knobs in bulk?

I need to get a bunch for the lander grille.