Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kinda OT ? 1958 VW Bug Chop ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chad, Jul 12, 2007.

1. customcory

customcory

Here is one of my little secrets, although nothing stays secret for long. Take any vw body , hack off the front, narrow 8 inches, find some convertible door tops or doors . Also from the conv. donor car take all the top bows and stuff and have a folding top, or not. I will use some more door skins for the sides of the cowl and I have the conv. windshield posts and cowl top for a windshield. Let your imagination run free. A rust free roadster body. I was going to finish the back off like a touring body cut off behind the front seat. I started this at least 20 years ago, and here it sits. Try not to take my ideas before I can do something wiyh them first, lol.:D

Dsc00541.jpg

Dsc00542.jpg

Dsc00543.jpg

Dsc00544.jpg

Dsc00545.jpg

Dsc00546.jpg

Dsc00547.jpg

2. JamesG

JamesG

Come to think of it, I wouldn't chop a '58 either.:(

Do it to a Fat Chick insted.

3. chad

chad

Hey man,I just do what the cutomers asks...I know nothing about VW's whats the big sin about whacking the roof on a 58?...It must be a sin to cut a 32 ford too I guess LOL...But seriously thanks for all the help...We are gonna do it this fall....He does have a early 70's bug too maybe we should cut that instead?

4. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

58..pppffft Its not even an oval

Hell I'd chop split window bug if I had one...lol

5. chad

chad

AHHH I get it...Its the split window one.....I never even looked online to see what the difference was ...LOL

6. 1958 was the first year of the bigger, square rear window, turn signals mounted on top the front fenders, new dash layout, and a bunch of other shit.
    Another thing to consider, MIGHT be to add one of the '57-'63 sunroofs... that takes up a lot of space in the roof, and makes for a lot less sanding, and metalworking, than a regular ol' hardtop Bug.

7. I've chopped 4 bugs. Never cut the roofs. Dirty Doug,one of Ed Roths buddies,helped me and my friends chop our bugs back in the 70's. Did it just like chopping a shoebox. He slanted the b-pillars too. He was a metal master.

8. There were quite a few bugs chopped in my class at wyotech, if Brickster catches this he might post some pics. Its alot of work but they sure look killer, changed my opinion on bugs. Awesome thread mos def

9. THATS one of the best chops on a bug I have ever seen!

10. customcory

customcory

Thanks Tman, your check is in the mail.:D

11. Hate to cut in, but since you guys are talking VWs and most HAMBers get mad about it, I want to show what I did to my '71...

Attached Files:

12. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

I choped one in the 80`s kinda like chopin a egg.

13. What did you do for glass ?

14. [​IMG]

This was sitting outside the Mooneyes BBQ today

15. [​IMG]

Normally I wouldn't post a VW,but you guys asked about chopped VW's. This one has a nice chop.

16. fflood

fflood
    from Milwaukee

17. The back window frame is the back window out of my '39 Chevy that I cut the roof off of to make a Carson top car and had saved the roof for stuff like this so the glass is flat and just made a pattern and went to the glass shop...

18. Hey Bad Bob, that's Fred Hidalgo's "Stinkbug", the one that kinda, sorta, started the Ford axle/extended wheelbase, wire wheels craze in the VW scene. As I recall, he works at So-Cal Speed Shop, or used to, at least. I got this far on this one, before I sold it (fenderless cars in the redwood rain forest ain't exactly the most practical thing in the world..)

Attached Files: