Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Killed another fuel pump???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Overhaulin, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Overhaulin

Overhaulin
    from Ohio

Okay I must be doing something wrong because I have killed two Carter mechanical pumps on my flathead with little or no mileage. I ran out of fuel and couldn't get the pump primed again even though I filled the glass jar up to the top. I took the fuel pump off and it appeared to have lost the suction that you normally hear when you move the pump arm. This last pump had only been on the truck for a couple of days and no its not working. Any suggestions how to make the mechanical work so I don't have to plumb an electric?

2. squirrel

squirrel

is it a take-apart type pump? if so, take it apart and see what's up. Sometimes they get stuff stuck in the valves, or the valve pops out, or something breaks, or whatnot. Used to be guys would just repair them, instead of replacing them. But that was decades ago.

3. Plumbing the electric isn't probably that bad but to address your issue maybe you need to find a pump that is alcohol compatible. That would be my first guess anyway.

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My recently rebuilt Carter pump appears to be failing also, check valve not holding fuel in line. I'm thinking ethanol.

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I suspect Chinese parts are involved ...

6. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

If you drive your flattie you're going to need an electric pump. I have both I run the mechanical about 70% of the time and when I push mine (like up a big hill or screwing around) it runs out of gas! I just toggle over to the mechanical and off I go. Also high ambient temps cause a vapor lock problem easily fixed with the electric...

7. stimpy

stimpy

also check your fuel lines ( flexibles and solids ) at connection points for air leaks , but sounds like the valves have crap on them and are stuck open .

8. barstowpo

barstowpo

Is the tank vented? I was killing pumps on an OT car until I realized the evap system had been removed and the car had a non-vented fuel cap.

9. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

I bought an old suburban once that ate fuel pumps... Checked for cap vent etc. I installed a Carter take apart pump. One Sunday the vehicle died alongside the e-way. I pulled the pump and removed the internals. One of the valves was sucked out of its staked pocket.. That got me thinking.. As soon as I could, I pulled the fuel tank. Removed the pickup tube and the sock filter. The filter looked like it had been melted completely shut. Evidently by some fuel additive. Replaced the sock and never had another fuel problem in several hundred thousand miles.. It was an excellent tow vehicle.

My brother bought an old VW beatle that ran terrible. Never could get more than a couple of gallons of fuel in the tank. Took it apart one day and former owner had used a non vented cap on the gas tank.. That little VW fuel pump had sucked the tank almost flat!!

10. Diavolo

Diavolo

If I am not mistaken, the length of the pushrod affects flow. If it's worn or the cam lobe is, it could affect output as well. Mine just eats diaphragms because of the ethanol. I'm just going to bypass it the next time it happens.

I would just bypass it with an electric if I drove it any bit at all.

11. inthweedz

inthweedz

Have you changed the base gasket thickness, thin to a thicker one, or vise versa?? That will alter pump operation..

12. Overhaulin

Overhaulin
    from Ohio

Wow...lots of great input.

The tank is not vented. I replaced the tank about a year ago with all the lines. Would the original tank have been vented? I didn't see a vent on it.

I will take the pump apart again and double check the valves again and replace the fuel pump pushrod while I've got it apart. I know when the pump was new I could actuate the arm and hear the suction, but once the pump stopped working and I removed it from the engine I could not hear the suction any longer. The fuel pump stand has a replacement gasket it under it; maybe to.030 or what ever came in the replacement gasket kit.? I am not positive.

13. There are 2 or 3 different pump rod lengths, depending on the year of the flattie and your intake manifold. If too long a rod, it will bend the pump arm and stop pumping. Also check your bowl gasket integrity. Ethanol dried and cracked mine-it will suck air easier than gas.
    There is a lower pressure flow through e-pump that is good to have for priming or in case of failure of a bowl gasket, loose clamp, etc. I put mine in with a relay and is controlled by a dpdt switch, on-off-temp on (spring loaded to return to off). Make sure it is well grounded.

14. If you want to get liquid out of a closed container, it will go a lot smoother with a vent somewhere above the liquid level. Think about trying to pour fuel out of an old gas can without opening the vent cap first. :oops: