Register now to get rid of these ads!

Junk yard admission fee?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bdotson, Feb 25, 2012.

1. chopped

chopped

$2.00 at the oldies yard in Griffin, pickins used to be better but still a small price to pay .

2. derpr

derpr

I went with a friend of mine and girl asked if he was in the milatary. he said yes and told them I was a vet. and they let us in for free. I had to go home and look for my old ID for when I want to go by my self. but I don't think the 2 bucks will kill me. and I alway try to put something in my tool bag to off set the 2 bucks

Model T1 likes this.
  3. belair

belair

Be glad you're not an hour's drive from a junkyard.

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

You might be a vet but bottom line your no better than the thief that posted number 114. There is a reason for every supposidly unfair cost for anything you just have to dig to find it. Unfortunately, dishonesty or disrespect is the reason more times than not. :(
    Think how you would feel if the next time you did something like that and turned around to find your mother and father standing there watching you. If they wouldn't mind I say go for it, the apple never falls far from the tree.

Frank

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
    1956 F100 and Model T1 like this.
  5. code5150

code5150

I have been buying parts for over 20 years and assumed that the environmental fee was a state or federal thing (Which it is) BUT at now Pick Your Part "LKQ" is fraudulently charging their own tax...I just got ripped off for a $48 environmental fee for a motor and tranny and they charged more than on their website and double on one item. They are completely out of control. And it's not posted that the environmental fee is for them not the state which some cashiers claimed, but I asked manager "Mel" at the Chula Vista location and he said that they are collecting it for them. WOW. I hope they get audited and / or sued. I have been buying from them for my Job. They have been ripping everyone off under false pretense. I normally am easy going but it's been getting worse and LKQ is now a Monopoly world wide. I have thousands of dollars in receipts and if it is illegal they might have to pay a fine per offense...

Model T1 likes this.
  6. code5150

code5150

PS I am fine with $2 but each big purchase ~$50 way too much.

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Nope, not for me. I presume they have public liability insurance? Ask for a receipt to see how genuine they are? :rolleyes:

8. Ive considered a $10 lookie loo & time waster fee. However in not a licenced junkyard. Mine is a hoard Hobby that got out of hand sort of thing. I don't really need to sell anything. I keep the gate locked and pretty much screen who I let in. If your looking for a specific thing and I got it you get in. If your like gas monkey and are pulling a trailer & carry a big wad of cash you get in. If I know you it depends on what I know about you. If there,s more than two of you you don't get in. if you bring your dog ,little kids or a bitchy wife you dont get in. if your feeble and cant walk good no entrance. If your just looking look someplace else Im not running a museum. I know one place that don't let anyone in. You gotta call and tell them what you want. They check and see if they have it. They call you back and give you a appointment. You come and view the items outside the gate. The liability from lawsuits and the lookie loos who case the place to come back & steal. Are the reason. I just sold a pair of geese and a young goat. I put them on craigslist. And had them penned right out front. Never let the buyer and his tribe inside the gate. Its a whole different world than the one we grew up in.

Model T1 likes this.
  9. Its true. Come to my place and you will see a cut off soda can duct taped over the gas filler neck. they steal the gas cap and the tank gets rained in. Two guys and a woman where looking and I couldn't keep that good of an eye on them. there where some early 60,s PKs that had the original chrome gas caps. And I noticed them gone after they left. I pretty sure the woman stole them and put them in her purse. and she didn't get just one she tool a half dozen. musta had them in her purse. So now I remove all gas caps and replace with a aluminum can & duct tape. And for those who somehow feel justified to steal enough to cover the entrance fee. You consented to paying the fee. The owner didn't consent to your theft. I had some thief come when I was gone and steal every tilt collum from all the 73 up chevy PK,s I have. Im certain it was some time wasting lookie loo who cased the place that did it.

Model T1 and Old Heap like this.
  10. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

This has happen to me twice, once in MO and the other in NH. I would go in and talk to the old guy running the yard, about what I am looking for and both guys give me a tour of the yard in a golf cart. save me a lot of time, I found out what he had and how much he wanted for the part. I don't think it is a big deal to charge a buck or two to get in and look.

Model T1 likes this.
  11. Model T1

Model T1

I can no longer walk a junk yard. Wished I could. They are different now, gravel lanes, all in rows according to brand, etc. $2.00 entrance and they have engine lifts on wheels, carts, etc to use free. They even load trannys and engines free.
    Son goes to the local LKQ some 75 miles away so often they know his name.
    Holidays are 1/2 price but they do charge a core fee. Saturday July 4th he got a mostly complete 93 Chevy Suburban engine for $140. Missing the dist, throttle body, and he left the exhaust manifolds. He left the extra cost 140A alternator, power steering pump and their brackets on engine.
    Counter guy said you were short three parts and took three, still $140. Yes he paid $75 core for engine but will return it next trip. He's gotten some good deals. Him and a buddy stop in sometimes just to kill time. Always come home with something.
    Beside you can't buy a coffee and donut for $2.

When I asked him to get me some cheap relays and fuses son said people pocket those as soon as a car comes in.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

We now have a LKQ and I do not mind the 2 dollars to get in but the core charge for anything metal is a little too much sometimes,I did loose 18 dollars on the core charge for two leaf springs since I wanted to keep the old springs but since the guy at the counter kind of knows me now he did not charge me extra for the shackles and front mounts that were put on right before it ended up in the yard so I wont complain about the core charge this time. I usually make out good getting parts from them.

13. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Well, you old guys know it's cheaper than driving the country dirt roads. I know it's a lot of fun drinking RC's and eating peanuts but gas is high these days.

14. aaggie

aaggie

The local Pik-A-Part here in Houston charges $2 to get in then if you want to get into the late model section ('96 and newer) you pay another Dollar. It's worth it to me and most times I'm just measuring something or looking for ideas for mounting brackets or such.

15. Be thankful that you can get into any yard today. most yard owners are concerned about liability issues. visit the yards, talk to the people in the correct manor, and see what that will do for you.

16. donno

donno

Yep, most places here charge a buck or two, I don't mind the fee.

17. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Standard in my area as well. We have a few that do not let you in the yard.

18. I'd pay a couple bucks for a "yard fee" before I'd buy a "membership" to shop at a "warehouse club" store. :rolleyes:

19. My DD is an OT '96 Explorer. The yard is overflowing with 'em, and that's a great benefit to me. I just reload when something breaks on the Explorer, and while I'm at the yard, I shop for my hotrod. $2 is cheap admission, I always declare the small stuff and like several others, they never charge me and, I think, appreciate the honesty. I just wish there was a yard around here with '50s and older vehicles. My uncle owned a junkyard when I was a kid, and I loved wandering among all the cars and parts.

20. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

LKQ have been buying up the local pick n pull yards here. They charge an entry fee, core charges & removed the signs up front that listed all the prices. I still go when I need to, but I prefer non corporate owned yards.

21. gas & guns

gas & guns

Hard to believe anybody bitchin about 2 bux. In Michigan most of the vintage tin is gone. If you know of any around you should support them. In another 5-10 yrs LKQ will probably buy out most of em.
    I worked for a friend who had a junkyard. Not all these places are making millions like some people think.
    Some of things we dealt with that customers don't realize....
    Owners going to state run classes to be certified for water runoff permits.
    (which they pay for)
    Inspections by DEQ, DNR, EPA, local government, not to mention secretary of state inspection to check log books and titles.
    People walking on perfect hoods to see what was in the bushes. Then they say, "what the fucks the difference, you bought it for junk anyway."
    Junkyard dogs used to keep out the slime, but now the insurance co. won't let you have one.
    You pay 4 part time yard rats to clean aluminum for scrap only to have it stolen at night.
    Somebody steals the yard truck with torches, tools, welder, generator.
    We had to mark motors and trannies with stamps. If you didn't the con artist would bring their burnt trans back and tell you it didn't work.
    Sell a headlight and the ass that didn't bring a screwdriver smashes the bezel to get it out.
    Sell a mirror and they cut a hole in the door.
    It goes on and on....

2 bux... really?
    We never charged, but I can see why some do.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  22. jazz1

jazz1

Our local yard never charged ,,,may change if they read how many are willing to pay.