Register now to get rid of these ads!

JOE WILHELM CUSTOMS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldchevyseller, Aug 27, 2004.

1. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

in looking at the 57 chrysler post , i started looking at joe wilhelm's stuff, he did quite afew nice machines ,i like the WILD DREAM no round tub back end i like the swooped fins, any one have show pics of it? i cant quite figure the front end also, is this something that someo ne

is doing today? a coil sprung drop axle,dont know of any kits out there some one must be running a similar front, just looking to throw a few old ideas back into the ring

Attached Files:

2. crewcutkid

crewcutkid
    from m

Even though the craftsmanship seems extraordinary, the car itself is kinda, well, ugly. A few tweaks could make it right-
    That's my opinion of said car. As far as the custom shop, I have to respect anybody who takes the time to put stuff like this together- no matter what the reception of the car may end up being.
    -Crew

3. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

yeah i think some changes, this could be a nice look, i do think

4. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

a coil sprung drop axle,dont know of any kits out there some one must be running a similar front, just looking to throw a few old ideas back into the ring

hello anyone?

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Mutt

Mutt

I know of two cars with coil spring straight axles - a '32 Chev coupe, and a T-bucket. Neither looked very good because of the bulk. I believe Speedway has, or used to have, the buckets and springs. Both owners expressed a desire to change to coilovers or transverse spring. I believe both were tube axles, also.

Mutt

6. cabong

cabong

I realize it's been a while since you posted this comment on the 'Wild Dream', but thought I'd respond. The car is different by todays standards, but in 1968 it was nice enough to win the AMBR trophy at the Oakland Roadster show. It had some changes made since the purple rendition, primarily in the grille. People told Joe it looked like a '32 ford, and he had had fabricated it, so he changes the looks. It was gold in 1968. Interestingly, it was shown in '63 or '64, and would have won, but at the time it didn't run, and that was manditory to win the AMBR. The reason it didn't run was that he had not completed the intake manifold, which had 2 side draft carbs tucked into the valley space, similar to the Ford Y-block unit used on boats. The intire car was hand fabricated, with the body being all aluminum. It had a small block chev and 4-speed. The car is still owned by the person that had commissioned Joe to build it. I had the good fortune of taking the car to the 50th Roadster show aniversary in '99. It remains unchanged and in excellent condition.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tampa, FL

Old post revived! Where is this car now? Anyone know? I know there were model kits of it by AMT / MPC back in the day. I always like it and the other open wheel styled "show rods." Too bad we don't see more of them now. Gary

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  8. gnichols

gnichols
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tampa, FL

Bump for the cronically bored. Any ideas where this car is? Or was, last time seen in public? Gary