Register now to get rid of these ads!

Joe Cruces: post what you know

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4t64rd, Apr 1, 2006.

1. I was flipping through Andy Southard's "Hot rods and Customs of the 1960's and came across a picture of Joe Cruces' "Crucifier". Custom Rod of the year 1967 at the Oakland Roadster show... Yes I know that's 3 years too late.

[​IMG]

And another shot a HAMBer post a few years ago..
    [​IMG]

I love this thing!! looks like 62 Chrysler front fenders, 57 Ford rear fenders

I found an article about him from CHico, CA.
    http://www.newsreview.com/chico/Content?oid=oid%3A7883
    And this in a Chamber of commerce type thing http://101thingstodo.net/chico/77.html

He's been a restorer for a while, but a HAMB search found that he also built a tall T, flathead powered... anybody have a picture of the REAL car, not a model? Did he do any other cars before going to coloring within the lines?

Post what you know.

2. Hans

Hans

Don't know about the specific car, but he still has a shop in Chico. Actually he is in the process of expanding right now. His old shop used to be right downtown Chico, more than once I almost wrecked rubberneckin' into his lot!!! Always some fine cars sittin' there. :D

3. I love the look and by now you should know it never too late.;)

4. Joe is a great guy and I try to stop in and see him a few times a year. He still does some HotRods, and has a warehouse full of 20's and 30's Vintage tin waiting to be built.

He has built a bunch of Pebble Beach Concourse cars, and he even has done a few planes. he has a gorgeous stagger wing beachcraft in his shop. Still has the original Merc convertable that he drove on his first date with his wife. That was in HS over 50 years ago. If you are ever in Chico, you have to see him and talk to him. he has got tons of car stories.

-Sobastrace

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

He's the guy who built the flathead powered Tall T showcar about 1961 or so, isn't he?? Is that still around?

6. sr

sr
    from Monterey

A buddy of mine owns the car and I am going to get him to post some recent pictures of the car. It is awesome. It has been in storage for along time. He did bring it out to the hot rod reunion after I begged him to do so. He and Joe keep in touch on a regular basis.

Stogy likes this.
  7. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

his old black T coop was on display at the chrr no motor and trans photos on this site.

8. LanaMadona95@aol.com

[email protected]
    from Redding CA

Joe is my Grandpa and his cars are the best i am a lucky girl to have him as a grandpa and you bet his cars are the coolest he once picked me up from kindergarden in one. if you are looking for a wayy cool car go to him.
    -LLM:rolleyes:

9. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

This place never cease's to amaze me.

Viva La HAMB

B:eek:B

10. tell granpa we love his work..

11. i know, crazy ain't it? looking forward to those updated pics sr.

12. Somewhere around 1960 I snuck into the local car show with a few friends. Come on now…we were college kids…and broke. There in all its splendor was a Black and chrome 1921 model T coupe. It wasn’t low like all the other cars…. it was not chopped, channeled or sectioned. It stood tall as though it was proud of itself. I looked around and when it was safe I crawled under it. I had to experience all that chrome. About then I felt a hand grab each foot and I was dragged all the way to the front door where Security said I could buy a ticket if I wanted to get back in. Today, 40 +++ years later as I nimbly crawl under that same car, with all its bubbling chrome and faded paint, I just close my eyes and remember how it was back then……….and hope that I can get out from under it alone, without calling 911 for help!
    Chief Silver Cloud
    "Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly"

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

14. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Thanks for connecting the dots....I knew both cars well, but never noticed they were both built by the same guy.

15. Yes. That was the NHRA reunion at bakersfield. I would have posted pictures but I am a real slow learner with all this gigabyte stuff. Eventually though I will get them up for all to see.
    Thanks

Chief Silver Cloud

"Not all those who wander are lost

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's 2 more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. I would like to purchase several Hot Rod Magazine of October 1960 and several Rod and Custom of October 1962. I'm also looking for any other magazines, annuals, or any old car show programs that this car was in, that featured Joe's coupe.
    They need to be in perfect or near new condition if possible. call me
    at 831-3943200
    Thank you
    Chief Silver Cloud

"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow."

Attached Files:

18. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

That's a car that I have admired for many years. It has stood the test of time & still looks great. I wish it was in my shop right now!:)

19. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

20. unklgriz

unklgriz

I'm with you on that one Bob! I love it when the guys that own these cars, or one of their family or friends, share this history with us. This is just great.

I can't wait to see more of this "T"

Larry

21. OK, we have the tall T nailed, but the original question was about the radical custom roadster. Who has the on that ride? Does Joe still have it squirreled away in the warehouse?

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB! This is a great thread, glad you found us, often wonder how a question is posted and people related to the car in question just find the HAMB. Sounds like your Grandpa has some nice cars AND a Staggerwing Beachcraft.

23. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Aurora made a 1/32 model of Cruces' T and they also did the Catallo '32 coupe. Lindberg also made a tall T coupe kit based on the Cruces car.

24. "This place never cease's to amaze me." Bob K..........what a great observation of this group....

Yes that is a fake quick change???

If your'e not acquainted with this car just wait till you see where the exhaust goes....It came out the front, just under the headlights, in a U bend ,then back below to exit at the rear of the car. Ill try to get a photograph from the artical in Hot Rod to show how it was set up. I wouldnt want to be at the rear of a marching band in a 4th of july parade, with this car right behind me.

Chief Silver Cloud

"One day is worth a thousand tomorrows."

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

26. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

MY Grandmother went to highschool and graduated with Joe. He went to school here in Vacaville where my family is from.

And a good freind of mine has worked with him in the past at his shop in Chico.

27. GOONZ

GOONZ

I just saw Joe about two weeks ago and he told me he still had the body of the T coupe that he won the 1960 Oakland Roadster show with. He said he had sold the original frame/running gear that it was on some time ago. I'll probably go over and see him this week and I'll bring my camera and get pictures for you guys

28. RodP

RodP

Here's another of Joe's cars. This was a very nice custom Vette. Semi bubble top and a stunning metalflake paint job. Very radical. Everything done first class.--------------Except for those damn teeth in the grill!!

I thought they were easily removable and he did them for a joke. I hope so but I wasn't sure.

Joe wasn't afraid to tackle radical projects, and he usually had some very innovative ideas. He was also successful with the Concours cars and I think he won at Pebble Beach a few times.
    He is a great guy. I haven't seen him in years
    RodP

Attached Files: