Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jimmy Addison and The Silver Bullet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stinsonart, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImForwardlook

ImForwardlook

Thank you so much for posting the Jimmy Addison Sunoco pic! It is amazing that so few photos have surfaced of the station back in the day. It also seems that there has been a lot of false info about its exact location but the site is definitely where Birmingham Quick Lube is today. I was pretty certain it would be and went there to get an oil change on my buddys Dodge truck in honor of Jimmy Addison. Next time when cruising by give an extra blip of the throttle, I am sure that Jimmy will smile in street racer heaven. And yes, Harold Sullivan who owns the Silver Bullet now is a super nice guy. Thank you again Sir for some truly amazing moments!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. It's missing the bowed out wheelwells on the rear. That is one of the major details that defined the Silver Bullet.

3. ImForwardlook

ImForwardlook

Yes, that is true. But it would make the model crazy expensive if they'd make a new die just for a limited run. I got something on mine that made me forget about the wheelwells...

[​IMG]

4. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

The Wheels look more like T Thrusts then Cragars

5. I find that to be distasteful to say the LEAST. Wanger and his buddy who bought that blackbird are sure trying to twist history. Disgusting.

Love reading Bill Stinson and Dr Hemi's posts and seeing the pics posted here.
    :cool:

6. RacerRick

RacerRick

I am from windsor and have several older friends who watched the race between the blackbird and the bullet. They all say the same thing. The bullet reeled in the blackbird and won after it got the jump. They also said the Jimmy Addison had one hell of a temper - lol. But even Jimmy Addison admitted in several interviews that the bullet had been beaten and wasn't undefeated.

I just finished reading that entire thread. Apparently the blackbird, Jim Wangers, and the pontiacs beat everything, period. Talk about rewriting history for your buddy...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  7. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Wangers would probably tell you that's real hair on his head too.

8. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

LOL....Yes The Birds Nest look

9. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

That's true but my version has had all of it's wheels and tires, the track
    and the way it sit's changed to better emulate the real thing rather
    than the way it comes out of the box. the deaper rear wheels are each
    built out of 3 pieces, the slicks are taller than the ones it comes with.
    The front tires are skinnier and taller with a narrower track; the ones it
    came with looked 60-series 14's. The front end has been lowered a bit.

I probably will experiment at some point, with a donor body, the flared
    rear wheelwells.

[​IMG]

jangleguy likes this.
  10. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

That Green Hoover Coronet has been restored to beyond perfection and
    is owned by Tom Devers of Vin Devers Dodge - Audi - Mercedes Benz in
    Sylvania (Toledo), Ohio. It is a real piece of history.

11. Thanks for the added info Dr Hemi, I had read an article a few years ago about Hoovers coronet having been restored but have never been able to find out who had it or able to find a current picture of the car, Last I saw pics was in a Mopar magazine back in the early 90's. Anyone able to hook me up? :)

If the good lord lets me live long enough I'll have tribute version's of the High & Mighty, Jimmy's 67 and Hoovers 66. My H&M is already coming together (slowly mind ya) and have a 67 Belvedere that some day will be turning silver, Next purchase will be a 66 coronet when I find the right one at the right price.

12. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

[​IMG][​IMG]

The restored version is 100% correct and no penny was spared.

The ram air tubes to the outside of the grill, 484" A990 headed plant with
    the milled out intake mounting dual 750 Carter AVS's (440 GTX carbs),
    the blue-streak tires and the '57 Plymouth hubcaps - it's all there.

It goes without saying that the paint, fit and finish is all above suspicion.

Restored functionaly as well as visually it is a sight to behold.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  13. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

Rare photos of the Silver Bullet before Jimmy got it, still a 440 and in it's original blue paint,
    testing different exhaust headers at Carlsbad Raceway with Chrysler engineers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cliff Ramsdell and brandon like this.
  14. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Wow really cool photos Dr.Hemi!

15. Dr. HEMI....where did you find those pics? They are nothing short of awesome!!

16. Run that bullet on drag week.

17. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

Ha! Sorry I can't remember. Had them a long time on one of my other
    computers and just ran across them yesterday.

18. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

19. what is up with the recreation i saw in a mopar magazine. the article said the car was going to see track time and was hotter than the original. i think they also said it was owned by the same owner as the original. that would make a great drag week car.

20. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

This car always stuck in my brain. Great thread..................

21. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

Harold Sullivan, that owns and restored the original Bullet also had another
    "Match-Race" Bullet built in case he wanted one to race hard instead of tearing
    up the valuable original.

The second car is fully tubbed, caged and more modern in execution compared to
    the 70's original. The original never had a cage and back-in-the-day didn't even
    have seat belts.

Neither car is to be confused with the car another individual built that houses the
    original engine (see 2nd photo below).

Here is a photo of both of Harold's cars running each other on a track day outing at
    Milan Dragway in southern Michigan.

[​IMG]

Picture below is of the clone car with the original Bullet engine. This is not the hood-scooped car in the photo above.

[​IMG]

If you get on Mr. Sullivan's web sight you can buy a DVD that shows the restored Bullet
    running at Milan, best pass 10.17 with the cross ram intake but it has been reported
    that it ran in the high 9's with the motor that is now in the clone car with the tunnel
    ram and dual 4500's.

This would have been later in the car's career - 1970 or later. When Jimmy came to
    Toledo to race my friend's Camaro in 1971 it had the tunnel ram motor and tall hood
    scoop.

Order the DVD and some very cool T-shirts (black or white) from Harold's wife Sharlene.

http://www.silverbulletgtx.com/store/merch.html

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. how fast did the match race car go.

23. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

Unfortunately, I don't know.

BTW, speaking of E.T.'s and just to put history in perspective, it's not uncommon
    now days to see a 10-second street car but remember, Jimmy was dipping into the
    10.20's in 1970 when the very best NHRA Pro-Stockers were barely in the 9.90s.

24. modeleh

modeleh

I was raised as a Ford guy, but when I got that Car Craft magazine with the poster of the Silver Bullet, I knew that it was about as badass as a muscle car ever got. Just something about that car that I don't know if any Ford or GM muscle car ever looked so right as that Gtx

25. what year and month did the bullet appear in the old magazine and the poster year and month. i agree those are great ets. for the day.

26. modeleh

modeleh

I'm not sure what issue the poster was in. Sometime between 1995 and 1998. Unfortunately my poster is long gone. This thread reminded me of it. Great thread.

27. Dr HEMI

Dr HEMI
    from NW Ohio

28. Poster was in the September 1998 Muscle Car Review magazine, and the original Car Craft article was in the September 1971 issue. I have them both!!

29. modeleh

modeleh

Yes, my mistake, I thought it was Car Craft, but I did buy the muscle car Review mags also. It was a side shot of the car, passenger side I believe and I think it had Jimmy Addison's autograph overlayed in the corner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.