Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Jim "JAKE" Jacobs, The Original Traditional Hot Rodder ! "TRODA"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Apr 10, 2011.

1. doubletubtrouble

doubletubtrouble

Jake is a hot rod god! Met him at gnrs and he is super cool.

26hotrod and BigO like this.
  2. I think it was a prop for a movie that he might of driven the car in.....so that's a definite "I don't know"....

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
    Cyclone Kevin and 26hotrod like this.
  3. Couple weeks ago I was sitting in Jakes 34 [parked in the showroom of Pete & Jakes at Peculiar, Mo] looking out the windshield and just feeling the old memories......so cool!

26hotrod likes this.
  4. E Burfield

E Burfield

I live arond the corner for him. Great guy. Very fun to be around, you never know what he will do! This guy has built some really bitchen car's and still dose. He has a couple of projects going on, that are going to knock your socks off. Mad skill's. But best of all, a good friend.

26hotrod likes this.
  5. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I can't add anything other than to mention that Jake also spent time on the surreal side of rodding with his day job at Roth Studios a decade earlier. A legend.

26hotrod likes this.
  6. Harms Way

Harms Way

Along with Dan Woods and Dirty Doug :D

26hotrod likes this.
  7. Mpls 40

Mpls 40

26hotrod likes this.
  8. Here's my fathers photo of the Jim "JAKE" Jacobs owned "Niekamp Roadster" @ the 25th Annual Grand National Roadster Show (held February 16-25, 1973 at the Oakland Coliseum):

1973 GNRS - Jim 'Jake' Jacobs showed the 1st AMBR (Bill Niekamp '29).jpg
    The 1st AMBR

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    26hotrod and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. Edited out the lurker comment I see? ;)

26hotrod likes this.
  10. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

rusty bill, here on the HAMB, received this Club Card back in the '70z from Neil East, it came with a handful of old timing tags. Is this club still in existence? He was wondering if he could make copies for distribution if any interest? Thanks!

Attached Files:

26hotrod likes this.
  11. I see Jim around town all the time. Totally cool, unassuming guy who never brags about himself, although he's done more hotrod stuff than most of us combined. Very, very nice guy.

26hotrod likes this.
  12. Pete & Jakes an the Jacobs coupe made a big impression on me.

26hotrod likes this.
  13. What a great thread!!
    I, like many others who have posted here, have followed Jim Jacobs' exploits ever since he was introduced by Bud Bryan in Rod and Custom in '69 or '70. I have liked his style and his attitude for traditional hot rodding. I once had all of the articles that he wrote or articles that were written about him. But alas......I have since been trying to re-collect a few of them. One that I'd like to re-get is the 20th anniversary issue of Rod and Custom (May 1973)...OR...I'd pay somebody to copy the article within about Jacobs. Any help?
    So, how long has he lived in Apple Valley? That's also where Roy Rogers and Dale Evans lived.
    Thanks for all the memories, Guys!!!
    Dave...Somewhere in Indiana

Last edited: May 15, 2011
    26hotrod likes this.
  14. Harms Way

Harms Way

[​IMG]

That's Dan Woods in the goofy hat.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  15. Harms Way

Harms Way

16. Harms Way

Harms Way

17. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

...and the headlights.

26hotrod likes this.
  18. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

So can anyone tell me why the tub changed - initially it had a complete front wishbone, then its shown with split bones - did it get "modernized"?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
    26hotrod likes this.
  19. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Jim jacobs, has been and always will be my hero!!...Hell I even named my son after him...LOL..He is the original designer of the four bar front suspenison, along with many other brackets and parts that are still being copied today. My 2 favorite hot rods is his yellow coupe, and his model A pickup. Everytime I go down to Jerry slovers place I drool over the yellow coupe.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
    26hotrod likes this.
  20. Harms Way

Harms Way

When the car was first built it had a SBC hooked up to a 39 Ford trans and a banjo rear end,..... If I remember correctly (and I could be wrong) The Nailhead that was originally in the NieKamp roadster and then in the "Screaming yellow Zonker" eventually made it's way into the tub with a 4 spd,.... But again, I'm not sure. ( The headlights were changed as well)

26hotrod likes this.
  21. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Whilst he is credited in bringing 4-bars to the masses, I am sorry to burst your bubble.

Normie-Poo Grabowski's Lightenin' Bug Caddy-powered 23 T had a four bar, back when it was built in the early 1950's. See Rodder's Journal #36.

My memory tells me that Jake used '64 Chev rear panard bars for his initial 4 bars.

26hotrod, verde742 and Harms Way like this.
  22. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Yeah I saw the changed headlights too.

Wow - a nailhead in the tub, imagine the powere-to-weight ratio!!!

26hotrod likes this.
  23. Harms Way

Harms Way

Here's Bud Bryan scraping paint from the NieKamp Track nose.

[​IMG]

UNCLECHET, 26hotrod and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Does anyone remember what color Jake's tub was before they painted it red?

26hotrod likes this.
  25. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Wasnt it white with graffiti?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

A couple of years ago I sold a pair of original 32 rear bumper brackets to a guy in CA who seem to Know "Jake" pretty well, And he said he had the original Nailhead that was in Jakes yellow coupe before it was replaced with a SBC. I can't remember his name But he said he had offered it to Jerry Slover (who owns the coupe now) and he did not seem very interested. I can not remember his name Nor do I still have his contact number, I would like to have the engine, As since jerry won't sell me the coupe I plan to do a clone of it, And having original powerplant from the original car will make it that much cooler for me...

26hotrod likes this.
  27. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

I have been good friends with "Jake" since 1963 when we were in our late teens.We were founders of the Early Times.Contact me thru email and I will see if he still has that nailhead.I don't think he still has it.Until last Aug when I was living in the desert near him it wasn't there.But he might know where it is.

28. CrazyDaddy

CrazyDaddy
    from Austin TX

In the early 70's I was reading R&C. Those guys were doing it right. Then, in '73, I saw Jake's coupe for the 1st time as the Tulsa NSRA Nats; I was hooked then, and have been ever since.

Attached Files:

26hotrod, BigO and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Pop's was a Prop for a Movie set. "There Goes My Baby" was the movie.
    We filmed there in Oct 1990. I got Jake a driving part in the movie.
    We stole the w/w's off the tub to make it more period. It was supposed to be Aug,1965. I think thin whites were more prevelent then;).

Pop's was located at the Live Oak Drive In Movie Theatre in Arcadia, border of Irwindale to the East and Monrovia to the North. It's now a planned community housing developement.

It's funny to see the tub being painted at the then "Hi Tech West Coast Nats"=Goodguys 2nd year there at Pleasant-stone! Many friends in the background of that pic including my young self about 12 oclock!
    What a day that was!!!!

Jake's set many a bar, some not only 4 bar though=:D. That's an idea he got from sprint cars that he'd see at Ascot, same for dead perches that the Deuce Factory would go on the make popular again. Don't see many nowadays though:confused:.

He definitely has driven the distance! I've been behind him in the rain. Rooster Tails who knows how high? Helluva craftsman! Killer Welder!
    Serious at times and Joking at others. A true Hot Rodder!

I feel lucky to have grown up around P&J both and to have experienced their footprint in this way of life that we call Traditional Hot Rodding!

26hotrod likes this.
  30. Was it maybe a light tan color? Man, my memory really sucks. It would be really cool if someone came up with a photo from the day...

26hotrod likes this.