Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jerry's 32 3 Window / Hemi Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Jul 13, 2011.

1. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Time for another of my long boring build threads..haha.

Last year I scored a really nice 32 3 window body and chassis here off the HAMB. Turns out the car was only a few towns over, I went to see it and struck a deal. After buying it, I realized that the car belonged to my friend Mike in the 80's, who was the last person to have it on the road. He sold it to his best friend John, which is the guy I bought it from.

After getting it from Mike in the 80's, John yanked the motor, 283 and Muncie, stripped the paint down, gutted the interior and started to work on it. I guess he lost interested, primered it up, and packed it away for the past 25 or so years. He decided to list the car here and that's how I found it.

The car was originally from the Lewistown,Pa area and was done in the traditional East Coast unchopped, but channeled style. It currently has a 57 chevy rear, old chrome plated v8-60 axle with lincoln brakes, and an old chrome plated original duece shell. Good dash with cigar lighter and glove box and really nice and solid overall. Even has old chrome plated garnish moldings. Old studebaker cowl vents were welded in and the doors were chrome plated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after cleaning it up some

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Here's how she last looked when on the road

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The past few weeks I've been putting the rest of the motor together. It's a fresh 392 Chrysler Hemi. .30 over new pistons, racer brown cam, and balanced. Heads were redone. I'm going to use an old Edmunds intake, matching valve covers and valley pan, and a new old stock Vertex Magneto. For those of you that are in my neck of the woods, there is a guy Pat Mason of Mason Racing Ignitions that repairs and rebuilds these mags as wall as older points distributors. He worked for Vertex for 25 years and really knows his stuff. Look him up sometime, he is in Schwenksville,Pa. He looked mine over for me and made a few internal changes to better suit the motor. He grinds his own magneto cams and does other really cool shit that no one else around here does, what a place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're putting the motor together on a test stand to break it in and I'm going to try to make a video and will post it up.

After the motor is together plans are to yank off the body so I can disassemble the suspension and go over it. Should be a neat build...trying to use mostly all old original parts on this one.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  3. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

sweet!!! keep us posted

4. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Kick ass! This will be a sweet build. Please keep us posted with updates

5. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

WOW.....what an amazing start! Those valve covers are unreal!

6. fatabone

fatabone

I'm lovin the cowl vents! What interior are you using?:eek:

7. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Ha...here ya go junior....

Earlier last year I was able to salvage pieces of an old interior from a car that Junior and Clark were working on. I just quickly stuck it in for the pics..but it will go in for good down the road. Replacing those buckets with a stock bench seat and the matching seat upolstery where the door panels came from.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also using an old Lincoln wheel and some other cool interior goodies

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  8. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Jerry, you are definitely, and completely *Da Mannnnnn!!* Killer project......I love that you're going to use all old *real* parts.......this car will be one of the most *traditional* on the East coast!

Gonna louver the hood? Will you even have a hood????

CB

9. JoJo O.

JoJo O.

I like it so far! I'll be keeping up with this one

10. bonesy

bonesy

Very, very cool. I can't wait to see the progress.

11. cracker head

cracker head

I like it! Are you going to run the chrome grill shell on the car?

12. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Yes, absolutely!

Charlie, They were early t bird front seats..they are now in a buddie's 55 gasser project

13. slepe67

slepe67

wow, you're WAY better off than I am on my 5W! Good score! That thing looks SOLID!

What kind of front axle is on the car?

That interior is already cool. All the window trim is there....jeeez I have a LOT to do!

The seats....that's a tough call. I bet they look killer all cleaned up. May want to reconsider keeping them...but, its your ride. (I like em!)

Congrats on the sweet ride, please keep us up to date!

14. Killer start, i like the direction your heading.
    That Edmunds equiped mill is so nice!

15. kisam

kisam

Count me in! Subscribed!

16. patman

patman

Enjoying the ride so far...subscribed!

17. jipp

jipp

very cool build.. one day when i grow up i hope i can own a old built to the hilt hemi.. :) for now, i will just learn to play with ole reliable.. the die hard slant 6 this winter plan on using one for my tbucket project.... one thing, i love the color of your ride.. always reminds me of kick ass for some reason.. to me its like that old maroon color oxidization and almost turn to rust color.. now a days i guess you could say looks like primer.. but to me your car has than vintage patina.. im just talking none sense.. cant wait to hear your video of the hemi rappin up her headers.

chris.

18. jerseymike

jerseymike

ok show off, this is now the 3rd build your on since i started my shoebox. you now officially suck! hey, did you move yet? and who's big sedan is that in your garage?

19. is Robesonia the center of the eastern hot rod world? that town comes up here on the HAMB all the time!!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  20. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

You know I'll be watching this one ,Jerry----Maybe I'll buy it someday LOL:D

21. fleetside66

fleetside66

Finally! So, have you decided to change the channel/no chop configuration or keep it? I can't help having lustful thoughts after that chopped/unchanneled '32 that we saw at the museum this past spring. Either way, it's going to be a very unique '32 project. I'm so looking forward to this build thread. Best of luck!

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I love it Jerry but you knew that. I can't wait to see the progress unfold. Let see some pics of the engine assembly when you can.

Also I'll take that pesky tube axle off your hands and give you a really nice heavy instead if you want :D

23. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

wow, great looking car!

24. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Really like the car, I'm still looking for my 3w also, I'm happy that you are enjoying the car.

25. billylo

billylo

Somebody say 32 3 window build?????? Count me in.....Awesome start.

26. farmer12

farmer12

This is going to be one great build, love the Hemi! Watching this one for sure.

27. cruzr

cruzr

28. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

back at it..had a temporary detour moving into a new place, chopping my shoebox, and doing some work on the sport coupe..what a busy summer.

I'm going to try to knock this out over the winter..we'll see what happens.

Spent the evening getting the body loose from the frame. When this was channeled back in the 60's they welded L brackets from the inside of the body directly to the top of the frame and completely removed the subrails. I cut the brackets loose and removed the wood floor that the previous owner put in. This week I'm going to remove the doors and decklid and hopefully lift the body off. pics soon

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  29. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Just subscribed to this build - any 392 hemi swaps always command my interest! I'll be eventually dropping my '92 in the very near future! Best to you Jerry!

Attached Files:

30. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Started gutting the duece...removed the dash..steering column..decklid. The hinge pins on the doors won't budge so I shot them with some penetrating oil..hopefully in a couple days they'll pop loose.

I started removing the roll pan on the back of the car. They welded it right over top of the tailpan area and covered the seam with about 3/4 of an inch of lead. I shit you not. From what I can see so far the tail is all there and pretty solid. Pics soon