Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects jailhousebob scores the mother load of 39 ford transmissions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jailhousebob, Feb 10, 2017.

1. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

This is part of a collection from an old time hot rodder that i lucked into.buckets of gears,shafts,syncros and assorted hardware.Eight or ten 81A double detent tops with the 3 inch shift fork.Shifters,bearing retainers etc.Alot of the parts are N.O.S.. A couple of complete transmissions and one rebuilt with a beautiful set of 25 tooth zypher gears.Looks like i'll be building transmissions for a while. 20170208_162001.jpg 20170208_161729.jpg 20170209_183722.jpg 20170208_161716.jpg 20170208_161538.jpg 20170208_163721.jpg 20170208_143556.jpg 20170208_160631.jpg 20170208_160710.jpg 20170208_160809.jpg

2. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

That's a great score and will be fun to sort through everything.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

biggeorge likes this.
  3. Bob, that ought to keep you out of trouble for a few weeks! How is the 32 coming along? Still looking for that panhead?

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

So tell us about this old Hot Rodder.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Old rodder's stashes always contain interesting oddities, rarities, and puzzles...show us interesting stuff you find in there!
    I once met a poor damn Chevrolet restorer selling a Ford sideshift trans at a flea market. A "spare trans" that came with a friend's '40 Ford. $25.00. I thought I couldn't miss finding that much value in spare parts inside, but I paused to look it over before getting out my wallet.
    First, I noted the the serial number began with "H". Red alert, you better figure it out if you don't know! Grabbed it and took it home. As expected, innards were 26 tooth, detailed search showed them to have no trace of contact marks...the thing had been rebuilt with NOS parts, probably back in the day when nothing in there cost more than about $10 at Joblot.

brad2v and stillrunners like this.
  6. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Hey Walt,great to hear from you! 32 is comming along,chassis is almost done.Hope to be driving it around this summer.Always looking for orig panhead or knucklehead and parts.I wont be riding much anymore,I had a bout with Cancer last year and only have part of one kidney left so i have to be careful.Riding riged frame bikes is not a kidney friendly activity! Hows the syrup business treating you?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Sadly,i was not able to meet him.He went to his reward and a family friend ended up with all the parts.The friend had no interest in the old ford stuff and that's where i came in.I have bought collections of parts in the past and usually about half of the stuff is scrap.Old guys( like me) have a habit of saving everything.This old gent apparently only wanted to keep the good stuff.So far i only found a couple of bearings and one zypher 26 tooth cluster that is obviously junk.The cluster had a bunch of sheared off teeth that someone was trying to repair with a stick welder! It will make great garage art.All the 78 part# cases are really nice as are the lids and most everything else.There was also some chevy stuff that the friend was interested in and is keeping.I should be in line for some more stuff,we'll see. In the meantime i'm building transmissions.Most will be for sale and hambers will get first shot before anything goes on the auction site.Bob

8. Wow, I did not know about the kidney thing. Lucky that we all start out with two!
    We just got back from Fl and are right into the syrup business. Received a bunch of sugar snow yesterday and more tomorrow.............that should help the season along.
    Still working on the 31 when I can.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  9. Compared to our Canadian winters, that's sounds pretty sweet.

10. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Yea,cancer sucks! slowed me down for a while but not too long.So did you guys ever do anything with that olds motor? You arent putting that in the 31 are you? Let me know if you need a 39 trans,i have a few.LOL Bob

11. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

Great score! I saw a ad on Craigslist north of Chicago, was this it. A friend called about it, guy said someone already got the trannys. Glad it went to a hamber. Congrats!

Pete Poling likes this.
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

OK help me/us figure it out...

13. Bob, that Olds engine I packaged up and shipped to a fellow HAMB'r down in Sydney. He is putting it in a 32. I sent it out of here in a crate in April and he received it in Oct. Have not heard from Mark since the big shake hit down there now that I think about it. He is a wheat farmer 100 miles outside of Sydney and has a nice collection of rods and antiques.
    My 31 is getting a different 324 bored to 371 specs with as seen in my avatar hooked to a 37 Buick tranny and a 9 inch out back.

14. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Glad the olds is getting used,especially in a 32! I'm guessing the shipping cost way more than the motor.That should be a fairly stout drivetrain in that 31.I had a 37 buick(roadmaster) trans that i planned to use behind the 303 i sold you.I couldn't believe how heavy duty it was.I had a few caddy/lasalle's also but i liked the buick better.They make these early fords look like kid stuff!

15. Yes the Buick box is stout especially with the 57 Olds tranny gut inside it. I picked up another one out in CA this last trip out. I got it off of a fella in Visalia who had a 37 four door. He had swapped out the two trannies because the one I have now had a bad gear.
    What did you do with yours?

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

Nice! Lots of projects for the winter you can do right in the house.

17. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

I had to sell alot of stuff when the house sold.It wound up getting shipped to the pacific northwest.I took that one out of a low mileage 37 sedan and the inside was mint.Hated to sell it.

18. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Actually i'll be building these in the Garage but before i built my last shop i restored a 46 Harley Knucklehead in an extra bedroom of the house and kept my 48 panhead in the dining room! I have an understanding wife.

mike bowling and Hitchhiker like this.
  19. mike bowling

mike bowling

When I was in the Army back in '68, a guy in my barracks from N.J. brought a panhead motor back to the base to assemble. We had a surprise inspection one Sat. morning, and the look on the Officer of the Day's face was hard to describe when he did a crisp left face and saw that in Richie's wall locker. We were giggleing like 12 year old girls. ( the Lt. even snickered a little)

20. Pete F

Pete F

That's a great score!!
    Since you have all these parts maybe you could shed a little light on me.
    Is first gear as weak as people say or not so bad.
    I'm building my car now with a 39 tranny and a lot of people are getting me nervous about first gear.
    Enjoy your find.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. yep....good case's are like good hot rod women.....kinda hard to find....

22. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

I don't know who is saying that first gear in these transmissions is Weak, The whole damn thing is weak ! Not really,but that is the perception that some have and really is unfair. These things were designed to back up a powerplant that had 85 to 100 horsepower but as hot rodding evolved they were used behind everything including Hemi's, Cadillac and Oldsmobile OHV's ,Small block Chevies and whatever else guys wanted to run.Often doubleing and tripling the horsepower and torque specs they originall were designed for.Not to mention the hard use they saw on the stock car track . It's amazing they held up at all.In addition,they were plentiful in the junkyards of the day so if you did disintergrate one doing hole shots with your Caddy powered roadster on friday night quick trip to the neighborhood "junkie" and ten or fifteen bucks had you back on the road.Often the replacement trans wouldn't be rebuilt and simply put back in the car for another round of abuse and may have been worn out when it was put in so it's days were already numbered at the time of installation.They eventually developed a reputation for being "weak",and guys began substituting units from Cadillac,Buick,Packard and other big luxury cars of the 30's 40' and early fifties.
    OK sorry to get long winded ! My experienc with these,and i'm no expert on anything,is if you rebuild your transmission with good componants,including a case that isn't worn out,american bearings,and everything is in spec.AND you don't abuse it by powershifting,doing hole shots , overrevving,downshifting into low while the car is in motion and a bunch of other stuff that transmissions don't like you should be ok.Plus,these things are a big part of hot rod history and were by far the transmission of choice for traditional Ford hot rods up to the late fifties so don't be nervous,build a good transmission and enjoy your hot rod. Bob

gas pumper likes this.
  23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

happen to have a V8-60 '40 Ford passenger car side shift trans?

24. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

sorry,no v/8 60 stuff. Bob

25. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

Can't wait to get my 39 trans!!! Thanks jailhousebob!!!

26. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

happy to help

27. Sent ya a PM Bob.

28. I ain't nervous, and I sure would like to do just that. Looking to buy a case and top, maybe some other stuff. Can you help a brother out?

29. MERCURYGUY

MERCURYGUY

I guess that proves they are still out there. Mercuryguy

30. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

Just got my 3 speed top loader! Bob went above and beyond for me building this transmission, he even saved me a 8hr drive (not saying that will work out for everyone) If you are in the fence about have a transmission build just go for it and if you get to meet him, be ready for a real handshake!!! Man I hate a limp fish handshake lol
    Thanks again bob!

spurgeonforge likes this.