Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Italian DOHC Fours-Jewels under the hood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by miller91, May 19, 2009.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Don't know about the car you saw but the Alfa guys have desided that the race cars where a flat not gloss finish. If you see one restored with the flat finish it really is impressive to see. :)

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

They couldn't have made many of those Crosley/Bandini heads, there is one localy that I believe is going into an early post cycle fendered Bandini.

3. How many of THEM have a silver wreath!?!? In other words a world championship.....or 20

4. TomWar

TomWar

Back in the mid 60's, a friend of mine put an Alfa 1500 cc 4
    in a bugeye Sprite. it sounded just like a Sprite until it got to about 5000 rpms, and then it would really take off. blew off alot of Corvettes.

5. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Sure wish I could make a Ford 2.3 look that sexy!

6. banjorear

banjorear

There was something really cool about going 110 mph on Rt. 78 in NJ during early twilight with the top down. Even in O/D, at the speed the 2.0 L in my Spyder was doing a good click over 5K. With a Borla exhaust and a header, that motor sure sounded great. Especially when going under an overpass.

I do miss that car. It ran straight as an arrow and would stop on a dime.

I hear Alfa's are coming back to the States. I can't wait for that. Maybe time for a new Spyder for the wife & I. It's only right since I sold it to buy her wedding ring.

7. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

I got a whole yard full of that stuff- Alfas, Fiats, and Lancias. I'll take some pix for you guys.

8. banjorear

banjorear

Please do.

9. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

no they didn't make many motors at all actually. less then 100 of all sizes and types apparently. they made a few different sizes and the crosley was only the 750cc variant. I didn't realize it was so few until I ran across that little tidbit looking for a good pic of the bandini/crosley

10. Good luck. They must have an owners club or something.
    Probably your best bet.

I made parts for one, once.
    Cheap Fuck owner seems to have a problem not paying.

11. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

have any Alfa 2600 stuff? I have 2 spiders and my brother has 3 sprints, we are always looking for parts.

12. Choptop

Choptop

Ok, so its not a 4 banger... but it did show up at Billetproof CA in 2008.

[​IMG]

the was an Alfa powered 4 banger rod there as well, but I didnt get any pics of it.

13. I have a bunch of Alfetta, GTV-6 and Milano parts, if anyone needs anything...

14. @cafone ... your post reminded me of this GTV-6 powered Roadster:

[​IMG]
    Modified Roadster @ Bonneville Speed Week - 1992

[​IMG]
    its Alfa Romeo 2.5 liter V6 engine

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  15. That is bad ass!!!

I always wanted to build a roadster with a six and transaxle. Or a belly tank that could run a four or a six, so it could compete in a couple different classes. I just thought everyone else would think it's stupid.

This thread surprises me...

16. It probably is stupid :) ... but FWIW, I think Hot Rods and Italian cars go hand in hand ... then again, I might be a tad biased:

[​IMG]

My (then) daily driver 1962 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Normale and the HEMI32 Coupe
    at the first ever "GOODGUY'S GET TOGETHER" (March 27, 1983)

[​IMG]

A pic of the pair (circa 2000) ... in 1987 I decided to do a complete re-restoration of my Alfa

[​IMG]

Today it's still unfinished ... parked in my garage just a few feet from the coupe

Here's some (circa 1981) pics of my freshly rebuilt 1290cc "Italian DOHC Four Jewel" before I put it back under the hood of my Alfa:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  17. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Don't have any of that, I have several Giulia 1600s (pretty much identical to those nice red ones above, except they are Giullietas) and a ton of twincam Fiats.

For those of you interested in this, the twincam Fiat is a dirt cheap, robust engine. You can get a whole car for $300-$500, sell off a handfull the Fiat parts on ebay and have the engine free.

The 79 and up Fiats have 2.0L engines.

The dual webbers are a very common bolt on and you can get the set with a mainfold for $400-$600. Cheap hot rodding. I've seen these twincams in all sorts of weird stuff. A Lancia Beta engine is the same motor mounted sideways with a transaxle.

PS: Hemi32, that is truely a thing of beauty ya' got there:)

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Stupid? Hardly. makes perfect sense to me. There are some roadsters in the smaller engine classes with F3 engines in them. Why not?

19. What, no pictures of the Etceterini?

20. miller91

miller91

21. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Some of these italian cars might as well be customs. I know they are not the type of custom talked about on here, but most if not all the parts, seen or not seen on them were designed to look "nice". Something else i've learned is that production car were barely that. I have 2 spiders, of which they only made 2250 of over 7 years. The hoods, open different directions, cowl vents are completely different, and a ton of other things.

22. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Millar, here a poor mans version :D

Attached Files:

dos zetas likes this.
  23. Hot Rodder extraordinaire, Dennis Varni also owns quite a few Italian cars ... including a couple with "DOHC 4 cylinder jewels" under the hood ...

... a 1957 Maserati 200 Sport Internazionale:

19.jpg
    Varni's '57 Masearti 200SIa @ his Speed Nymph Garage (circa 2006).

... and a 1958 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce:

[​IMG] [​IMG]Varni's chopped Giulietta @ the 2007 California Mille.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  24. Weasel

Weasel

I'm with hemi32 - love those Italian cammers. I have a few but not this one - aaargh.... Ferrari 4 banger ca 1952-1955.:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

miller91.

Thanks! great shots and information. Domestic or foreign, if its a automobile, I’m a fan, big time. Slim

26. KUZTOM ... Way C:cool::cool:L! ... those TOYOTA's are good little motors!

I always wanted to put an Alfa Romeo "DOHC Four" in my '29 Model A (track-nosed, low-boy) Roadster ... I had a rebuilt 1300 "pseudo-Veloce" motor (1290cc with side draft 40DCOE2 Webers), an Alfa 4-speed tranny (converted to a 5-speed), and a complete 101 Series (Giulietta/Giulia) live-axle rear-end all ready to go! ... but pop's talked me out of it ... he felt that although the Alfa DOHC motors sounded great (revving at 7-8,000 RPMs :)), they just didn't have much of the low-end torque you want in a Hot Rod ... that, and he thought my roadster needed more than the 90 horses the little 1.3L Alfa engine could provide.

[​IMG]
    1300 Veloce engine (in a 1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider)

I looked all over for a bigger (1600, 1750 or 2.0L) Alfa 4 cylinder ... but never found one in my "price range" (this was in the early '80s and I was just a poor college student) ... so opted for Plan B: Build it as a Hi-boy on a pair of (hand-me-down) Deuce rails and power it with a junkyard 289ci Ford ... Yet another of my un-finished projects (sold the '29 roadster body & the '32 frame back in 1992) :(

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  27. Your Giulietta is beautiful. I always wanted a Sprint, but here they are either way too much money or rusted beyond repair.

28. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

YEP, they are dam good engines,if ya get the 2tg with the Yamaha head,ur onto a winner,ya can see where Toyota got some ideas from,the Italians me thinks :cool:

Attached Files:

29. It looks that way to me...

30. etceterini.com

etceterini.com