Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods it seams like a lot of guys are building a `30 coupe on `32 rails

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36-3window, Nov 28, 2015.

1. so i decided to join them

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

T Hudson likes this.
  2. Why not as they make a great looking hot rod.....

norms30a likes this.
  3. pitman

pitman

When you go to the drive-in, the visor keeps the rain clear of the windshield! :)
    (and you can afford to, cause it ain't a deuce!)

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Seems like these days I'm doing about as many 32 chassis for 30/31 A bodies as I am doing stock dimension 32 chassis.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

That's what I'm building except it's a 31. Where did you get the rails ?

6. the frame came from Pete & Jakes. to be honest i have not been impressed by it , it has required some reworking to clear the driveshaft. and it will need some more...they had put in the front body mounts for me, but they are in the wrong place. i thought i had stepped up to a top piece , but apparently i'm wrong again. it will be fine , just some more work

7. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Sorry you're having hassles with it. I got a Brookville pinched for Model A. Hope I don't run into too many problems. Just sanding down the factory grinding, haven't put the body on yet. What engine are you running ?

8. 283 chevy / th350 with an 8" ford rear on coilovers.....so it will not be very traditional

on the plus side , i am starting with a very good body...the only welding on it will be the modifications to the rear subrails and filling a few holes in the firewall

9. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Yeah, I'm going with a SBC too. The chassis has chevy mounts already installed. Good luck with it. Hope to see build photos in the future.

10. looks good so far, The more the merrier they say!

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A friends sons car for inspiration Tom Shilloto 30 Coupe.jpg

arkiehotrods and kiwijeff like this.
  12. Got a Brookville under my 31 project. Can't say I was too happy with some issues. Cut out the x and remade my own and removed the rear cross member as well....and so it goes. your body looks very nice, wished I had that.

13. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I think that X member is kind of large too. I was thinking of getting the Pete & Jakes chassis because it didn't have an X like that, but it doesn't seem to matter...they both seem to have problems. Well, take it as it comes.

mgtstumpy, thanks for the photo, I like the stock grill too.
    Dino

14. making some progress

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bam.inc, Rich B., RICH B and 2 others like this.
  15. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Who made the fuel tank? It looks like the one Honest Charlie sells. Also, did you make your own rear sub rails?

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Good start.. Looking good...

17. It would be fun to get a bunch of hot rod model A's together for a cruise sometime in the future.

18. Looking good, really nice body. Keep up the good work, and count me in on that hot rod model A cruise. Bob

19. the fuel tank is an universal one from Tanks ,got a good deal on it on Craigslist

on the rear subrails i thought about the kit offered by Steadfast , a friend has used it and they are good according to him. but i have metal , saws , etc so i did it myself...the $450 can be used somewhere else on the car. i used this thread for ideas and inspiration:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/fitting-a-model-a-coupe-on-a-32-frame-my-way.996002/

20. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Thanks for the response, I think I will cut out my originals, modify and reinstall them. Enjoying your build, mine will start very soon. I've been collecting parts for at least 4 years, it's about time to get after it. Keep up the good work!

21. Greg, that looks great. Are you going to cut the top or leave it stock height?

22. Chuck, count me in!!!

23. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

I got mine from Cornhusker Rod & Custom in Alexandria, NE. I got the frame, Ford rear 3.73 gears, brake lines and brake cylinder included, disc brakes all around, coil overs, set up for a SBC and I can't think of what else that may have been included. Take a look and see what you think. I Googled them to get to their www page.

24. a bit more progress.... powder coated the frame , got it up on tires and put in the motor/transmission. getting the body ready to go back on , most sheetmetal is in primer now. trying to build this in 6 months. hard to get good pictures and it's hard working in a two car garage with my `36 right beside it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. A Boner

A Boner

Traditional enough for me.....built to drive.....comfortably. How did the rear subrails turn out? The ones on the link sure look good.

26. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Looking really nice. Did you have the rear powdered too ?

27. alchemy

alchemy

I figured you worked out of a 10,000 sq. ft. shop.

28. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:eek:Guys shouldn't say this to other guys.......:eek:

283john likes this.
  29. yes, rear end was powder coated too...along with the front axle , rear ladder bars

i used to have a lot bigger shop , but since i have retired i downsized a bit

the subrails in the link are not mine , i just used that thread for inspiration. i think mine came out real nice too...and saved some $$$