Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Issue with a carter 3697s wcfb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roger Smith_57, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Roger Smith_57

Roger Smith_57

My 57 Chevy idles good and runs pretty good at low speed, and medium speed, and on level highway, but when I come to an intersection, and I downshift into second, and turn on to another highway that is a pretty steep hill, (WV) I wind it out, and shift into 3, and now I am running about 45 or 50, and I have to give it more gas to get on up the hill, the carb just bogs, does not cough, or hiccup, or shutdown, but just won't go any faster, but if I let up on the gas just a little, then the carb comes right back to life, and I can feel it starting to pull, but if I push the gas down, bogs out again. It's like it hits a dead spot, it is still running, but like it is not in, but not out either. It will keep pulling as long as I don't go past that one spot with the accelerator. Then when I get to the top of the hill, and start down the other side, it has no problem, it will flat out fly. What does this sound like is going on? Float? Blockage? Anybody have any ideas? I have a new kit to put in it, but I would like to have some idea of what specifically to look for. Is there any way to check to see if the secondary is getting gas? Thanks in advance! Roger

2. Lines clean all the way front to rear,how is the filter?

3. saltracer219

saltracer219

Yup, sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Also check fuel pump pressure and flow.

4. Roger Smith_57

Roger Smith_57

Yes lines are open and filter is clean. I have done these tests on it.
    PUMP PRESSURE SPEC. 4.5 - 5.5
    ACTUAL @ IDLE - W/O FILTER 4.75 LBS.
    AT RANGE OF 450 RPM-1000 - RPM-DROPPED DOWN TO 4.0 LBS. @ 1000

CAPACITY TEST - SPEC.- 1 PINT IN 45 SEC.
    ACTUAL - LITTLE MORE THAN A PINT IN 40 SEC.