Register now to get rid of these ads!

History isky clown info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chickenshift, Oct 11, 2011.

1. chickenshift

chickenshift

Im looking for any info on the Isky clown dragster of Dick Guyette. I have a few old mags with features on it, but would like to know if it still exists. Also want any old photos of it, build specs etc. I cant seem to find a whole lot on it. Any info would be great. Post it on this thread or send a pm.--randy

2. skidlid

skidlid
    from motor city

Dude here's some pics I found for you from a site I belong to...thats all of them
    Hope that helps ya out!

Attached Files:

chickenshift likes this.
  3. rick finch

rick finch

Here, I found this 3/4 view from 1959....(I enlarged the image).

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. chickenshift

chickenshift

thanks rick finch. Ive got everything to build this motor accurately, but the potvin setup, but i know someone who has a few pieces to one. Ive got a few more bits and pieces also, I still need to fine more info. on the chassis.

5. I snapped this pic with my little Kodak Brownie at Pomona in June of '59. The Clown had just got beat my Kenny Lindley in his Miss-Fire II. Won't help you with chassis details, but shows the red/orange color.

[​IMG]

falcongeorge and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

the best way is to call iskies in gardenia, calif and ask if there is anything available on that car. by the way if you call around lunch time and ask if ed is there he will talk to you personally.

7. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

the best way is to call iskies in gardena, calif and ask if there is anything available on that car. by the way if you call around lunch time and ask if ed is there he will talk to you personally.

8. I doubt Ed would be any help on chassis details on this car. He merely supplied the cam to Dick for the free advertising.

9. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

well i guess you are afraid of rejection............

if you get him on the phone you have his personal undivided attention........

are you afraid of historical people........

where is your sense of adventure?????????????????????

10. chickenshift

chickenshift

Thanks bernie i will try calling there and see what i can find out, --------Dean thanks for the picture, thats a great shot of it. every little bit helps.

11. chickenshift

chickenshift

Also would like to buy any magazines with articles/pictures of the dragster that i dont have....will post a list ot parts i am missing also.

12. I've known Ed Iskendarian since he gave us the first roller cam for my RPU in 1961. If I was "affraid of historical people", I wouldn't have held the NHRA B/SR records for 6 years, or won class at 5 Winternationals. My point was, Ed gave a lot of parts to a lot of people for the advertising he used to promote his products. That does not mean he knew all the details of all the cars that he sponsored. I doubt he could have told you the year of my roadster, or anything other than it ran a Chevy motor, though it appeard in his ads in the 60's.

But, I'm sure he will know the complete details of the Isky Clown because you say so.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

13. Uh, Dean IS a "historical people" :)

Paul, hotroddon and falcongeorge like this.
  14. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

The Isky clown has a very interesting and amusing history. (Not the Dragster but the clown)
    It seems that Isky was promoting his "Fifth cycle cam" and an competor, (I won't mention their name" used a clown in their ads to make fun of it.

After winning some very important races, Isky said "Yes indeed, we are happy as a clown with our new cam! Upstaging their ads with a picture or a clown riding on a unicycle!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  15. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Significant history.

A lot of extra race papers and spectator tickets as well as camshafts were sold as a result of the "cam wars" publicity.

Madison Ave would have been hard pressed to have done much better.

Ed

16. rick finch

rick finch

Hahahaha...Dean Lowe afraid of rejection? That's a good one...:D

falcongeorge likes this.
  17. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Have seen similar roll bars in cars that were attributed to Joe Itow, but that's just an observation from here in Connecticut...

18. Muttley

Muttley

I've never seen the clown on a unicycle but they did print decals with him on a bike.

[​IMG]

Johnny Gee and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. You go Dean, you've been there, done that, and even wrecked that (LOL!).

You're the real deal.

20. Hot Rod August 1960 feature

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

If you're still looking for info these may be helpful.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. I about busted a gut laughing at this one. I couldn't agree more!!!

23. chickenshift

chickenshift

Still looking for any additional info on this dragster. I've gathered up everything to build this except the Potvin intake and front blower mount. Would be willing to trade off some of my rarer olds parts for that setup if anyone has it.
    No, it's not one of the more famous dragsters from that scene...but I fell in love with it as a kid, and it's olds powered.....that's all there is to it.
    I really need any info. or pictures of the chassis. From what I've gathered, it's a Joe Itow frame that was modified later on by Kent Fuller. Any pictures of a Itow chassis would be great!
    If I can't find anything, my only option is to scale it up on paper, build a model and go from there.
    Putting this thread back out there, hoping to get a bone thrown my way.

24. Have you tried to contact Fuller?

25. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

If you talk to Ed see if he knows about any contact info for Fuller up in Northern Cal I believe

26. chickenshift

chickenshift

No, I haven't tried contacting him. I think my best bet would be to try and contact the original builder if he's still around. I'd almost bet he'd have build photos!

27. chickenshift

chickenshift

Supposedly Ed never had any real connection to the car. Basically it was a advertisement trade off for parts. Don't quote me on that, but that's the story I got.

28. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Its a small world in the racing game so it does hurt to ask, as always somebody knows somebody

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Anyone know if the decals are still available, or have been re-released as stickers? Gary

30. chickenshift

chickenshift

Any ideas on tracking Dick Guyette or family / friends of his would be helpful. I can't find anything on him. Except a few bonneville runs. I just don't want to get started on this chassis and get it wrong.