Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there anything I can use to grind aluminim?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Stabe, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

I am making the windshield for my MGB project and I will be using MG Midget cast aluminum uprights and welding channel to them. When I get done I will need to blend in the upright into the channel and sort of re-sculpt the shape of the posts. Regular 4 1/2" grinding wheels just load up. Is there anything I can use in a 4 1/2" grinder that will remove aluminum quickly?
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

3. whitey70ss

whitey70ss
    BANNED
    from Central PA

Bee's wax on the disc helps!

1956 F100 likes this.
  4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

flap disc and some W-D40 has worked for me.

5. you need to pick up some grinding paste or bees wax chack at your welding supply shop, machine shop supply, granger or ant industrial supply

6. wax is the key, Johnsons makes a StickWax that I use for the bandsaw and grinding - you can aso use Gulf wax that they sell in most grocery stores (where they sell canning supplies)

7. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

They make grinding disks for aluminum, a good welding supply shop will have them.

8. Phil1934

Phil1934

Flap disc is like magic compared to wheels.

9. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Get the wax
    You can use it on everything - saw blades - grinding - sanding - die grinder burrs = saving you from buying dedicated alum only everything

10. Get the discs made for aluminum, they will work without clogging. You
    probably won't find them at H.F. or the farm/fleet store; but a regular welding shop will have them. The aluminum build up on regular discs can cause them to blow up, I don't remember the exact reasons; but it does happen. Used to build aluminum dump bodies and block beds and some guys were too lazy to change wheels and had to learn the hard way.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  11. azzizzjohn

azzizzjohn

BE CAREFUL with grinding with discs that might contain any iron particles when grinding aluminum. Iron and Aluminum combined can produce THERMITE. THERMITE goes "BOOM".

12. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I've always used grinding paste on a new flap disk, just drag the wheel through the stick of paste when u fire it up and occasionally after you start working.....works a treat....I've used the paste heavily on the porting cone abrasives as well....

straight axle tom likes this.
  13. badshifter

badshifter

First time I tried this I was shocked at how well it worked. Now I always have bees wax on hand any time I grind aluminum. You won't believe it. And it's clean, unlike WD40 or other methods.

14. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

I was just thinking about this today, Good thread

15. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

A tool and die maker I know uses Crisco when grinding aluminum on his surface grinder.

16. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

there are carbide bits that move alot of aluminum, work well on porting. rough sculpt your post with them finish with, grinder.

17. Jeff J

Jeff J

I put some cutting oil on aluminium and my 36 grit rolock and it works great doesn't clog up ! They are the brown ones they work the best !

18. RDR

RDR

needed to grind on some potmetal H/L bezels...
    went to the welding supply...asked what he had...
    showed me a 4" paper looking disc with bumps on it...
    said it cut aluminum real good....
    worked great on my potmetal too!
    check with your local welding supply

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

WELCOME TO THE HAMB! Info like that is really great to read. Thanks. Bob

20. DrJ

DrJ

I like to use a sharp vixen file on outside radii. That way you don't get "friendly" surfaces waving at you.
    [​IMG]

21. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

on the money

my weekly metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

22. The grey colored "rolocks" are specifically for aluminum. They work great.

The aluminum specific 4 1/2" or 5" grinding wheels also work great on aluminum.... whodathunk?!?!

Never tried the bees wax, but, I bet it works good. I'd still avoid using it on a bench grinder wheel though. I've seen many cases of people grinding aluminum on a bench grinder wheel only to later have it explode. The wheel gets out of balance, and the harmonics makes them pop. I had a 2hp grinder let the wheel go just after firing it up in college. It striped the left side of my face pretty good, and destroyed my safety glasses. While picking up the pieces of the wheel with blood running down my forehead/cheek I noticed the wheel was loaded with aluminum.... the guy that had just walked away had been grinding aluminum despite the dozens of signs throughout the shop, including directly on top of the grinders, saying not to use the bench grinders for aluminum. I really should have checked the wheel before using it, but, that didn't stop me from pinning him against the wall, and explaining why we don't use the bench grinders for aluminum. A little blood in the eye really pissed me off. I did get a trip to the nursing dept. of the college to get my "wounds dressed". A bunch of college nurses taking care of me.... worth it.

23. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

+1 on the Crisco. I just herd about this trick on another site. I am currently polishing a 68 sportster engine and use a lot of the small dremel grinding bits. It works good on these. Plus I already had it in the kitchen. Haven't tried it yet on the bench or angle grinder.

24. If you're trying to remove a lot of metal, using an aluminum-specific disc works best. It's also well worth buying aluminum files, Nicholson makes them and they're not expensive. When you get to the polishing stage, this is the easiest way I've found.... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39869

25. adam401

adam401

Wow im glad I opened this thread. Ive been working on cars for over 20 years and didnt know the dangers of aluminum on a bench grinder disk. Makes sense just never thought or heard of it. Wow haha

Blues4U likes this.
  26. Yep ^^^^^

Sand paper barrels on a dremel work well too.

DO NOT use a stone or a cutting wheel.

27. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

Half toilette ring, half parrafin wax. Melt it together and pour into a cardboard tube. Easer to find than bees wax. Parrafin wax in the canning section of local grocery store, toilette ring at local hardware store. You can use your imagination for the cardboard tube. Aluminum cans work for tubes too.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Second the suggestion of starting with files. They don't remove material as fast, give you more control and a straight even surface if you know what you are doing. Rub the file with French chalk (soapstone) to prevent getting clogged. Clean with a file card or wire brush regularly. Finish by sanding with progressively finer sandpaper and sanding blocks. Then buff.

29. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Been using toilet rings since the seventies. I started using it on my 14" surface grinder. Keeps the stone clean and cuts clean, doesn't dig into the aluminum surface. Guy at the hardware store thought I did a lot of plumbing work..

30. indyjps

indyjps

Would Johnsons paste wax work as good as beeswax, I already have it on the shelf. Easy to get too.

Don't have any aluminum scrap on hand to test it out

Attached Files: