Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is the 1938 ford standard really the ugliest fat fender car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crustz, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

image.jpg

Attached Files:

30TudorSedan, Cooon, patmanta and 3 others like this.
  2. [​IMG] 38 Standards are Miss America compared to a Nash. Even though this thread has focused on Fords, the title says ugliest fat fender...

Model T1 and crustz like this.
  3. [​IMG] 39 Graham is pretty homely too.

falcongeorge, Model T1 and crustz like this.
  4. belair

belair

Hard to beat the Graham, but 38 and 39 Oldsmobiles were ugly as a man's butt.

Model T1 likes this.
  5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

My vote for ugly is a 41 ford!

6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

42 Olds is really fugly :eek::eek::eek:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. crustz

crustz
    from WA

Looks awesome! Are you running 37 fenders on it? I think it's strange that Ford would have gone through the hassle of making the 38 standard fenders different than the 37

8. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

I owned this Std coupe for a few years. Belonged to my Bonneville racing partner but he ran out of cash so I took over ownership to help him out. It was two-tone green but I painted it black, including the dash and all the garnish moldings, gave it a rubber rake with 7.50s on the back and that's about it. The propeller-shaped trunk handle is cool.

I could only find one photo of a '38 Std in all the Don Montgomery books, and that was just a spectator car. I was told that the '38s weren't so popular as their Art Deco looks dated them very quickly after the war, when everybody wanted everything new. Body panel availability probably doesn't help with the Std's popularity either - so many unique parts like the rear fenders are specific to this car.

I liked the car but really wanted a '39 or '40 so it went and to be honest, I don't miss it - got fed up looking at it every time and thinking 'Wish it were a '39 or '40'. I now have a '40 Deluxe Tudor and couldn't be happier - such a beauty.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Regards

Jon'.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    elgringo71, Baron, Fedman and 4 others like this.
  9. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

10. ^^^^^Anyone who feels that this car is ugly needs to look in the mirror^^^:D:eek:

11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Or get more out because that is very beautiful.
    I know it ain't a 33-36 but that will never be an ugly car!!

12. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Really, they're all great, this thread is all opinion, I should have phrased it as "If I have to pick one..."

13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

14. patterg2003

patterg2003

The 1938, 39 & 40 Fords standards are great looking cars that have more character than the deluxe. A well done standard holds its own beside a deluxe any day in my book. I have a 40 deluxe but would be happy with a standard. As some said they all look great.
    Glenn

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  15. I like all the ugly cars. I'd take a 41 over a 40 any day. 40's make me yawn. And @porknbeaner thanks a lot, thats my old truck :) I love 51-52 Pickups.

16. Wow. that's pretty bad. In all my years I've never seen a 42 Olds.

17. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I always wanted to see one of these as a Westergard style taildragger with a healthy chop. Since 46-48 club coupe's look so good with a proper chop, and it really looks like a mini 46-48 club coupe.

18. Model T1

Model T1

Damned, I've got a cute 41 Ford deluxe and a cuter 39 Ford deluxe. Personally I rarely call cars cute but this is a debatable thread where cute means a lot. To me all Fords are handsome!
    Some of those Graham's, Nash's, and others are butt ugly! I'd still drive them.
    And yes I've met women who do look cuter at closing time. Still in the morning it can be scary no matter what they drive!

19. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

I don't thnk they are 37 fenders, but I could be wrong. Everything fits great front and back, so I am assuming they are 38's. I did have it apart before I had my painter spray it.

20. belair

belair

Texas57 and Model T1 like this.
  21. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Nope. A '37-'38 Hudson Terraplane is!

Model T1 likes this.
  22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Model T1 likes this.
  23. Yep ^^^^ Desoto a friend had a '48 Desoto when we were in high school he was really proud of that car. But it was just as homely as a mud fence and nothing could be done about it.

@Jonneville posted pics of a car that I think really proves something. It doesn't take much to make a '37/'38 Ford just scream "I'm a hot rod" I personally think that the coupes have really good lines and maybe ugly is just a personal thing for some folks.

Jonneville likes this.
  24. mbrede

mbrede
    from Minnesota

I like my '41....I dont think she's that ugly. img_0909-1-jpg.1992417.jpg img_0907-1-jpg.1992418.jpg

25. The '41s were just confused I think, they had an early '40s tub, late '40s fenders and a grill that looked like a smiley face. that's not a bad thing in my mind just that they didn't know what they wanted to be yet. :D They were the beginning of the heavy boat fender cars.

Note to @mbrede I like 41s. Yours is smooth. :cool:

26. She's purdy, mbrede.:D

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Model T1

Model T1

We call our 1941 Ford Smiley P1010011.JPG

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. ssrodder

ssrodder
    from NE PA

After reading all the negatives about the 38 deluxe, maybe I should stop working on my 38 cab and stick a 37 nose on it. Then I would have another good looking 37 cab with 38 rear fenders.
    If anyone is interested I have a friend who wants to sell his all steel 38 club coupe. It is set up for a 351 Ford. Was on the road for many years. He took it off to do some work about ten years ago and is now moving and must dump it.

29. fordor41

fordor41

no, '38 ford pick-up trucks are the ugliest!

belair likes this.
  30. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan's coupe has the "look". I am curious about his choice being a '38 Ford over "more popular" years. Does this particular coupe have sentimental value to him ? I have noticed from the few conversations with both Ryan and Keith Tardel, neither is a bull-shitter by any means, which leads me to a conclusion about Ryan. He, like all of us, has a "dark side", and it surfaces with his choice of hotrods. It is that "give a shit, fuck everyone who disagrees with me, I'm building this fuckin' thing MY way" attitude that oozes out of all of us once in a while, and in his case, a very sharp '38 Deluxe coupe was borne...Shit, I hope he doesn't delete or cancel me.

Model T1 and volvobrynk like this.