Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Is an Allard J2X a Hot Rod?? Limeworks thinks so..update 01-11-10

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32gal, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

2. Excellent thread! But who is the dipshit that voted it only 3 stars? My vote gave it 4, your turn.

3. 32gal

32gal
    from The OC

I give it 5, cause i know how excited Cruzr is to be involved,and also Steve and Limeworks are great folks and the project is of major prominence

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I know where their is one semi local with a nailhead and 3x2's....I love them cars....
    I gave a 5*****

5. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

Hell yeah the Allards were hotrods! Early ones had flatheads & the later ones were the Cad-Allards. Lotta English-American hotrods built back in the day. Rember the Cobras...English Ace bodys & ford v-8s and the Sumbeam Tigers...they shoe-horned ford 260ci v-8s in them. Read some where that the Tigers were modified for the ford engine by taking the Sumbeam Alpine body and then a guy with a big hammer would pound the firewall back some for clearance for the ford engine. Little cars...Big engines.....sounds like a hotrod to me

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Here are the shots of the front & rear so far in the mock up stage to see what needs help & where it all fits .[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It's surrounded by Hot Rods Too LOL .

7. Damn right it's a hot rod! As is every Allard! As well as the hemi, caddy and flathead versions, they made a lighter car with an English Zephyr inline six.

8. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Wow! Watching this, for sure.

9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Steve.....what are the origins of the front end and rear end assemblies?,....were they manufactured by Allard or was another company involved?

10. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Steve, looking good, something a little different !

nice to see Kona helping in her usual way :)

and .......Sydney Allard won the British Hillclimb championship in 1949 with the Steyer Allard.

Keith

11. freebird101

freebird101

that is an awesome car

12. hershambob

hershambob

will pop in and have a look in a few weeks

13. rainh8r

rainh8r

There used to be a black one in the Seattle/Bellevue area that I saw several times when I was a kid. I don't remember if it was Cad or Chrysler, but it wasn't Ford. It was always filled with at least 3 college aged kids, with 1 or 2 sitting on the tail section with their legs in the cockpit. It was perfect, and every time I saw it they were all having a good time showing off around town. I knew every hot rod around, and I still wanted that car more than any other.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ahh yes, the "Blacksmith's Revenge". Certainly as hot rod as it gets. Love em. Love em. Yeah I said it twice.

15. cruzr

cruzr

ok guys stay tuned for an update next week..........

16. There is an Allard around here. Guy runs a 354 Hemi, 39 Ford Trans and Banjo Rear.

The owner told me they came from the factory with three motor mount locations. If I recall right, he said motor placement was for Cadillac, Flathead Ford and another GM product.

17. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Jeff , the axle pieces were forged by Allard on the front with the wishbone ends forged & then welded to tubes, the rear center section is Ford the rear hub assys are Allard , the brakes look like racing Jaguar with finned aluminium (Made in England :) ) drums. Front spindles have bolt through steering arms & I have no idea on them , but the spindle itself is early Ford ( uses early Ford Bearings ) . Chassis rails are Allard & based on '34 Ford rails I believe . So the story goes you ordered your Allard J2X from the UK with your choice of Engine mounts , if flathead they came installed. The Cad & Hemi engines were installed in New York .

What an interesting car & Sydney was the English Carrol Shelby , or the other way around as Sydney Allard started building his specials in 1937 !!!! So I suppose Shelby was the American Allard !!

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Most excellent Steve....
    I wait updates...you rock.....

19. froghawk

froghawk

For sure it's a Hot Rod!

I posted this before, but this thread seems a good place to share again this Kodachrome shot by my late grandfather, Chester D. Minick, at an unknown car show in July, 1952. Perhaps in western PA.

I think this Allard has a Hemi. Wonder if this car still exists?

[​IMG]

20. damnfingers

damnfingers

Saw these at the vintage races in Watkins Glen back in Sept of 2004. No info about them, just know that I liked what I saw at the time (and still do).

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. froghawk

froghawk

Love that one with the Halibrands! Interesting that it's got knockoffs on the rear wheels and lug nuts on the front...

22. I'll be watching this one for sure. In the 50s & early 60s my dad raced a Palm Beach Allard as well as a 56 Jag XK140.

23. cruzr

cruzr

amazing the storys that are popping out on this thread. one thing for sure, i cant wait untill next week to check the progress when i drive down to visit

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. 1934coupe

1934coupe

They are at the Vintage Festival Labor Day Weekend race at Lime Rock CT all the time, they are definitely not your cookie cutter car and Way Cool.

Pat

25. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

I guess most on here agree with us Randy , an Allard J2X is a Hot Rod. Thanks for all the positive vibe & cool stories/photos .

26. cruzr

cruzr

see ya Monday Steve!!camera in hand

27. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Subscribed..

Packing US heat in Brit skin...how dare he..:)

I saw and heard an Allard at RA when I was 8-9 years old. Guess it made an impression..

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Fantastic Choice, Steve and Crew are the best, and they dont
    get any more traditional then Limeworks....Say hello to steve the "bearded one" from Ken S.

That is one amazing car..Cannot wait until its done...

29. cruzr

cruzr

Talked to Steve today at Limeworks,he's made good progress on the mock-up. Cant wait to see it Monday{camera in hand}

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

As I understand things the cars arrived in New York City WITHOUT any engine, I think it was a tax related deal, along with shipping costs. The engines were installed in the Perry Fina shop and then went on to a dealership for sale. I'd like to know if the cars were custom built for the Ford, Cadillac, or Chrysler engine or was that desided upon arrival in the USA? Thanks for starting the thread, looking forward to progress reports!