Register now to get rid of these ads!

Installing a '30/31' Coupe Vinyl Top Insert With Pictures - Dialup Will Be Slow

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vergil, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

well done!

a copy of this thread has been sent to the Tech Archives

thanks!

2. rdstr31

rdstr31
    from Ney, OH

Very, very well done, Vergil! The pre-stretching on the wooden frame before tacking it to the top produces excellent results- no puckering along the tack channel. I did it that way a few times when I had my trim shop and it works great.

Not to hijack the post, but something I used to do occasionally was to cut a piece of thin luan plywood the size of the opening and screw it to the top bows and edges, and seal it with silicone caulk. This takes the place of the chicken wire. Cover the luan w/ padding and vinyl just as before. Now you have a "filled" top that doesn't bubble up when you drive with the windows down, and no leaks! Just another option.

Really excellent post Vergil- this DOES belong in the Tech Archive. Good job!!

3. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

looks like it's gonna work out great, thanks for sharing

4. Vergil

Vergil

Good point rdstr31 I hadn't thought of that, good to know. Thanks to all the nice replies I have received, a Super bunch of people here.

Vergil

5. vette man

vette man

Awsome job !!!! looks great !!

6. Rem

Rem

I remember this being a great thread, with good photos, but they're now long gone - how do we find this in the Tech Archives, hopefully with pics? All the Search results come back with either cars for sale, or threads about filling the roof with steel panels o_O

7. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've often heard mention of tech week and tech archives but have never found where it's kept.

8. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

I would love to see the pics as well. Does anyone still have them saved somewhere?