Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Inliner / Flathead "Drag Nationals" - July 2016

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Nov 16, 2014.

?
  1. Yes, count me in

44.4%
  2. Sorry, not interested at this time

5.6%
  3. I'd come to watch but not race

50.0%
  1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Hello. I had a conversation with a couple of members of Inliners International. They are interested in holding a drag race in conjunction with their upcoming convention in the Dayton Ohio area in July of 2016, the specific dates yet to be determined. Since I race inline six powered cars regularly they asked me for some suggestions to make this race a big success. For starters I would like to know how many HAMB members would like to race their inline or flathead powered car at this event. We are going to talk to a few tracks close to the convention site to make this happen. I think this race should be as inclusive as possible to allow a wide array of cars to compete - all brands and types welcome. Inliners International members are working to provide accommodations for members and non members. Is there any interest out here? I've got mine primed, timed, shined and ready for action:

[​IMG]

NHRANUT likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I'd like to say, "I'll be there." But the car is in a million pieces. With the weather here, I guess I'll have to start punching the Hot Rod time clock. This would be a good goal for me to shoot for.
    So, "I'LL BE THERE"!!!!!!!!

4. FTF, I'll plan on being there car or no car. If I'm unable to bring the car, count me in to help with the race one way or another.

5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

gearhead QCE, You've got 17 months to make it happen. If I recall, the Empire State Building was built in under 14 months. Time to start calling in your favors from all your gearhead buddies to help make it happen.

300 racr, I know we both have worked as tech inspectors at our respective tracks. Your assistance will be appreciated. Our local track hosts a Gasser Series that is largely run by the gasser participants on the grounds. I envision similar involvement by our participants.

6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Okay, I'll build a replica of the Empire State Building and still be at the Inliners Meet meet. In my haste to be the first responder I ASS-U-ME(ed) it was 2015. (Have to read more carefully!)
    I'd volunteer to help too. I'm a retired Auto Shop Teacher and have done 20 zillion vehicle inspections.

7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That's OK Gearhead - I did the same thing too the first time I read about it.

To all who misread - ITS IN 2016.

8. Next question FTF, What are some thoughts on classes??

9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'll let others make that decision. Being a bracket racer myself I would favor an e.t. dial-in format, but I would be open to an index-based format, similar to what some of the nostalgia based Gasser organizations are using. With such a wide array of vehicle possibilities I don't see a better way of running things than dial-ins. Other options - such as running heads up, weight-to-c.i., handicapping off records - all have drawbacks. As more folks commit to bringing their cars it will become easier to establish a race format. Suggestions are always welcome.

10. Babyearl

Babyearl

Sounds good,, even tho I have a marked propensity toward procrastination and sloth.

504640 likes this.
  11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Aah, Then you will want to enter the P/S Class. No limit to maximum e.t. dial-in.

12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

OK GearheadsQCE, It sounds like your background makes you a good candidate to assist. Stay tuned for updates.

13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'll bump this after a few weeks of inactivity so very occasional readers can see and dust off their flathead or inliner racer and make plans.

14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I'll bump this after a few weeks of inactivity so very occasional readers can see and dust off their flathead or inliner racer and make plans for 2016.

15. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Outside of this thread, are you drumming up much interest?

16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Hi Bob,
    I have a similar notice posted on a couple of other websites and so far a few have expressed their intentions to attend / race. I realize this is a far-in-advance notice and it may be hard to make plans that far ahead. So as plans get firmed up and details confirmed I will pass along what I learn.

An event like this will surely benefit from your photojournalism talents and I look forward to seeing you there.

Otherwise, I'll see you at the June Thompson Gasser Reunion?

17. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

At my age making plans 18 months in advance is not something I ever consider. :)

18. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

BTT
    I talked with the Frenchtown Flyer at the Milan Nostalgia Drags today. He said he hasn't had a lot of response on this.

We need to get as many cars as possible to commit. Inliners will likely not sponsor this part of the event. But in order to get a drag strip to set aside some time for us to run a 'class' we would need to get some cars.

My thoughts are; Run what you brung, have some fun and don't get too serious.

I'd bet there are more inline racers on the HAMB than Inliners.

I want to line up against FF and see if he can run me down. ;)

19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Nice to finally meet you GQCE. There are strips nearby to the convention. Somebody needs to take this on and line up a program so we have a place to race. If we have a list of prospective competitors that will make our class(es) we will have more clout when seeking track time. Who else is in? I do not believe the Inliners staff is going to do it.

Regarding racing you: I have no friends at the starting line. Bring it.

P.S Both my cars won 1st round today and we return tomorrow for final eliminations.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  20. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I can't find anything on the Inliners sight about the convention. Do you have any other info or dates?

I see 3 Drag strips near Dayton. Never been to any of them. Any info you can provide?
    Edgewater - Cleves, OH
    Kil-Kare - Xenia, OH
    Marion County - Larue, OH
    Are there others nearby?

Thanx,

Bruce

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Kil-Kare is a nice track and the closest to the convention center That would be my first choice. They also have a circle track which may be fun to attend with fellow racers. It is in Xenia, which is, in my opinion, the bicycling capital of the nation and my wife and I are avid cyclists.

I've raced at Marion County. Nice setting in the country but the track surface is kinda "iffy" for a quicker car, a little lumpy.

I've never been to Edgewater. It is probably the furthest from the convention.

22. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I found the info for the convention on the Inliners site. They indicate that there are people already working on getting an Inliners/Flathead class going for us. That would not be directly linked to the convention. Do you know who these folks are, and do they need help?

Also, wondered how you did Sunday at Milan. When I left Saturday, you were not sure if you had it fixed.

23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I have spoken with another enthusiastic member (forgot his name - he's from the Left Coast) who is trying to get other racers in his region to come to race. He is planning on making the trek. Let me do some networking to see what's going on as soon as my drag racing season winds down.

Sunday morning I added an external ground wire to my ancient Mallory Double Life three-lobed distributor. It ran great in the one time trial they gave us on Sunday - too good actually as I broke out of my 10.50 index with a 10.42, short-shifting, retarded timing, and clicking it early. A couple of rounds later I was short-shifting and clicking it at the 1000' mark. Lost in the semi finals on a double breakout with a 10.45.
    My other car lost in the fourth round - one round out of the money. My friend had a ball driving it though.
    Wasn't that a good show? I hope somebody gives it photo coverage here on the HAMB.

24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I have been in contact with KilKare Dragway in Xenia Ohio. I chose this track because it is closest to the Inliners Convention site and it has a good reputation for the track management. I have seen the facility. I told their management I would like to race the weekend of July 9 - 10, since the convention is July 11 - 14 and I would get together a list of interested racers and get back to them with that list. Needless to say, the more racers I can get to commit to racing and put on the list the more chance we have of getting a separate class for inliners / flatheads. I also said we were willing to race at one of their regularly scheduled bracket races to give us a chance to double-enter two classes. I am OK with either a dial-in race format or an index based format, either full or (.500) Pro tree.

So if you plan to race, now is the time to let me know. Additionally, I would like to bargain for a full pay back of our entry fees to the racers. The best way to accomplish this is to have a pre-entry fee paid, maybe a discount if pre-entered and a regular entry fee if paid at the gate. I don't want to become TheBankOfGreg but if that is what it takes to get all I am bargaining for I may have to.

I have been talking with other Inliners International members about this too. I would like to have at least 16 cars commit to racing before I speak to KilKare management again. I'm getting close.

PM me if you will be racing or with your thoughts.

25. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I have 12 racers that have made a verbal commitment to race. I need four more to proceed. Please put the word out to all your friends who race inliner or Flathead cars. Thank you all who stepped up and are planning to attend. Further details will follow as things progress.

26. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Make it 13. I may be just Granny shifting my 292/37 Chevy combination, but I haven't been down a drag strip in 20+ years.

27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Welcome aboard QCE. Please PM me your contact information and I will add you to our database.

28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I now have 16 racers who have verbally committed to this event. I would like to see more, especially more flathead powered machines. Stay tuned for further details of this great event.

29. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Like to see this go down the strip, owned by my Buddy Tim..

Attached Files:

30. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Flat Six Fix, Would you like to give me your Buddy Tim's contact info. I will personally invite him.
    His car looks sweet. I want more flatheads, V8 or otherwise, to enter. Thanks