Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm looking to build a car port... help needed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Nov 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi guys... I guess this is car related because it is for my cars... [​IMG]

I'm looking into building one of those car ports on the side of my house... when we were traveling in the midewest on our trip to the HAMB Drags... I saw a bunch of those car port kits... well, when I got back to California... I checked into them and found that for the size I needed they were quite expensive... anyway, I figured I'd just build my own.
    So I get on the net and start looking for supplies... and come up dry...
    I want to build a "lean-to" style car port that attached to the side of my house... I want to build it out of metal... so the galvinized structure I have handled... but the metal roofing I'm having trouble finding prices on.
    So does anyone that you know of sell this stuff?
    What about a place that can ship it to me?
    Anyone ever build one of these?
    Use a kit?
    Modify a kit?
    Thanks for your help!
    Sam.

2. Antibilly

Antibilly

I just built a roof over my hot tub out of a old drive way tent pole cut down and galvinized sheet metal from LOWES in the roofing supply area. its thin but makes a good roof cove and looks kinda Mexican shanti Kool! ^^^^^^^ the sheets look like that. 6.50 each and about 10x6
    hope that helps

3. ray

ray
    from colorado

hey sam, aren't you a WOOD shop teacher? [​IMG]

4. Meester P

Meester P

Sam
    Can you not look for house builders in your phone book, and ask about alluminium siding,or is that of no use??.
    john.

5. hankcash

hankcash

Is this what you are looking for?
    HC

Attached Files:

6. CruZer

CruZer

Sam,you should be able to buy metal roofing in any length you want from any building supply house. Once you figure out the dimensions of the structure,take it to them and they can figure how long and how much you'll need.
    Up here in the northeast,metal roofs have become very popular.They come in lots of colors and unlike the old metal roofs,they don't fade or get rusty.They sell the edging and roof cap to if you need it.

Attached Files:

7. That corrugated roofing is a Home Depot or Lowes. Comes in different colors, too! But watch your building codes too..make sure its not too close to the property line, or the neighbors house. Here we cant even bolt it to the house/ garage. Theres always a dick neighbor that hates the car guy and will do anything to fuck him. Of course he'll wait until youre done.
    You might want to slop some Henrys or other sealer on the overlapping seams to keep it from leaking as much.Good luck. DRR

8. Donzie

Donzie

I ain't much at swingin' a hammer but I'm good at givin' directions.
    For example: If you find nails that have the heads on the wrong end...they're for the other side.[​IMG]

9. Yea, what I am looking for is the metal roofing like on the one you posted... not the courogated stuff... I would buy the whole kit... but around here it's like marked up 100% or more from what I saw them sell for back east. For instance, a 20x20 back in Kansas sold for like $799... out here they sell for $1700!!!

Anyway, I'd like to find a supplier that can just ship me what I need... and not hassle with the dorks down at Lowes who don't know dick. [​IMG]
    Sam.

10. Hank Cash... where did you find that pic?
    Do you know of someone who ships those things all over the USA??
    Sam.

11. hankcash

hankcash

Sam-

Sears sells the kits like I posted for around $800-$1000.
    Everything included.....
    HC

12. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sam, why not get some pipe and weld up your own? Go to a surplus/demolition company and get some embellishments if you desire. This is well within your skills I am certain.

13. purplepickup

purplepickup

Sam, I got one of those carports from Menards and made it into a shed with walls and doors. I think the 20 X 18 kit cost $850. I got the one with 7 1/2' walls. The frame was made by a company named Versatube http://www.versatube.com/ . I didn't build it the way it's supposed to be built tho. I added 2 x 4 nailers and made it more like a regular polebarn. I used treated 6 x 6's for the base and bolted the frame to them. I also added a little length to it when I framed in the end. With the extra materials I had to buy, I've got about $1200 into it.

There's some pics in an album here http://community.webshots.com/album/97260089qPiZJU If you want to see more detail, click on "view full size" under the pic.

Here's a shot of the frame when I started.
    [​IMG]

14. FWilliams

FWilliams

do you want one like hankcash posted or are you going to build a lean to style?

i can probably set you up with one like he posted and just have it dropped shipped to your address, if you are going to build a lean to,the aluminum roofing panels they use for their kits are available at most building supply houses.

what dimensions are you looking for?

15. Sam - I sell them in Missouri- the 18x 21 is 595.00 [150 ]more raises it to an 8 foot wall height-that is the cost for it built in your location not a kit. check with build code nazis...... [​IMG]

16. Sam, make SURE you check with your city's building department to find out if what you're proposing is even allowed, if it is, they're probably going to want some sort of permit on it, after that, it's all basic math, you can buy the roofing @ several places, even ones up by you, email me and we'll continue this, if you like.
    Skip
    PS- been building shit for 20+ years, built more than a few of what you're describing easy as pie. [​IMG]

17. you can buy a 10x20 car port a costco for like $300 dump the tarp and cover it with metal from home depot for $15 a sheet total cost about $400 oh and if you dont like that type of metal my freind Cam builds mini storages out of metal and can get you there type of roffing metal dirt cheap his cell # is 510-332-0349 tell him his old neighbor John that worked on his cougar gave you his #

18. 3bytheknee

3bytheknee
    from Sonora, CA

Another supplier of what you are looking for is Northern Tool &amp; Equipment at <NorthernTool.com> . You can pick from the several suppliers mentioned by several and get one close enough to minimize shipping costs which are terrible these days.

19. 3bytheknee

3bytheknee
    from Sonora, CA

[ QUOTE ]
    Another supplier of what you are looking for is Northern Tool &amp; Equipment at <NorthernTool.com> . You can pick from the several suppliers mentioned by several and get one close enough to minimize shipping costs which are terrible these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange, the posting left out the URL I put in but the quote here shows it. Go figger.

It is NorthernTool.com

20. Wow!
    Thanks for all the input guys!
    I'm on my slow old box here at home... but I'll try to get some pics up of my space I want to cover tomorrow...

But in short I have "side yard access"... there is a slab there where I caan park a car... and if I poor another 7' x 10' piece of concrete I can have enough room to park TWO of my cars... probably the Model A and the digger...

So picture a slab that is 28' deep and 10' wide. There is a fence about 4 inches to the right of it... and my house to the left. There are no windows on that side of the house... but there is a fireplace that sticks out and a wall AC unit... both of which do not pose a probem as far as I can see for this structure.

NoI've seen SVERAL of these around town and have talked to the owners about them. Every guy said they had a company come out and put them up... and that the company said they were "free standing" and "non permanent" so they did not need a permit. One guy even had the "lean to" style... and he said that if it would have been lagged to the house it would have been illegal... but they got around that by lagging a plate to the house... and then they have short (maybe four inches long) tubes that are welded to the plate... and then finally they have the trusses that slip onto these stubs, go over about 12' and then come down and lag to the ground.

So, I've already talked with my neighbors... and they are cool with it...

So, what I picture is a lean to style structure... that may or may not fasten to the house... I would make the trusses out of 16ga or 18ga, 3"x3" or 2"x3" galvanized tubing. I would fasten them to the house using the bolt on to lagged on "stubs"... have them go over 10' and then down to plates that rest on the concrete. I would then have bungs in the concrete to bolt them to. I would have a truss every 56 inches for a total of 7 trusses to cover the 28 feet.

I would assume the metal roofing material comes in 3 foot wide lengths that are maybe 10' long? or do you think they could be custom ordered? if so, maybe make them 14' long for easy shipping?

Or what if I spaced the trusses every 7'?? I guess it all depends on how I can order the roofing stuff...

Guys, bare with me... I may be able to build hot rods and race cars... shit, I can even whip out a napkin holder in about 15 minutes... but this building house shit is all new to me!

Sam.

21. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

Sam I was looking at putting one up like Hankcash has pictured. They can be bought all along the highways around here for $595 installed. I then found this site for ones that are flat roofed. I hope I can get one in the near future. Price is pretty cheap and I know I can't buy the stuff elswhere and build it cheaper.

http://www.metalmarts.com/metal_buildings_roofing_fencing_carports.asp

22. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

23. I think I found a supplier that isn't too far away...

Metal Sales

They are up in Woodland by Sacramento... I'm gonna call them tomorrow.

Any more help is much appreciated.

Skip, I'll be e-mailin' ya buddy...
    Sam.

24. sam you can cut the tubing to make it 7 ft on the costco model and my buddy cam gets the sheet metal siding and roofing left over from jobs he hooked me up on my shed its top notch stuff all inter locking i also have they build warehouse`s and commercial storage units all over nor-cal

25. Thanks John... did you get the round tube frame?
    What size is it? Diameter Etc...
    Also, is it cool to call him and ask him what I need?
    Sam.

26. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Sam, I know you said you are looking to put up a metal lean-too car port but, have you ever considered the tent style garage? I have a 10'X20' Cover-It quonset hut in my back yard and it is probably one of the best investments I ever made. I bought it 4 years ago for $440 at Fall Carlisle and erected it in about 3 hours with help from two friends. It has withstood the rigors of the northeastern winters, including several days of sustained winds up to 70 MPH! THe best thing about this type of "garage" is that it is thrifty (my favorite word as a street rod owner/car guy) and they are not permanent structures so do not fall under the scrutiny of the evil tax pimps. This type of fabric garage also comes in the more traditional style peaked roof design. I just saw one at Sam's Club for under $300. Think about this type of car port garage Sam, they are excellent value and do provide great storage space.

27. yes the round tube frame type if you need to make it narrower just cut off a ft and a half off each side of the roof poles it wont matter cause you are covering it with metal and those take screws that will make it even stronger it is also portable style so no permit yes call Cam he`s a Ausie so he talks with a deep accent super cool guy

28. indyjps

indyjps

You can build it all out of wood with steel sheeting. frame it with 4 x 4's on 4 foot centers, kind like a pole barn and run 2 x 4 stringers down the sides horizontally. pour concrete pads / piers under each 4 x 4 (post hole auger, with a lag bolt) bolt the 4 x 4 to the pier with angle plates available at every home depot. it is a free standing structure, not on its own foundation - like a yard barn. sheet the roof with steel, do the walls like in whatever material your house is in, siding ? you could also use steel sheeting on the walls. your roof to house edge is questionable depending on what the house is sided with. if you have siding you need to remove a row of siding, install trim edge and flashing. they also sell foam strips that have the shape of the steel sheets to seal up to edges.
    As far as the steel sheet leaking, they sell adhesive rolls or non skinning caulk type material that goes on each overlap joint, all metal building should use this on the roof. the sheets screw to your 2 x 4 stringers on your 4x4's and the sheets screw to your 1/2 truss on a lean to style structures. space your trusses to hit your sheet spacing, or use 2 x 4 stringers between your trusses.
    Honestly it would be easier to do a lean to with regular house siding and shingles, the materials are readily available at home depot or whatever home store you go to. if youve never built a steel building theres a lot to it that if youve never seen it will throw you off. if your set on using steel, find a distributor that sells sheet and all the accompanying materials.

29. Why would you need a cartport in India,Cant you just use a COW skin?
    BTW This thread is almost 10 years Old!!!
    Brought back by the spammer.
    There's already enough Product placement on the Hamb buddy find another holey monkey temple to feet the rats to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.