Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ideas on disabling a roadster at a show etc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26 T Ford RPU, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Hi guys. I am wanting to keep my RPU from wandering off when im not near it at a show/swap meet etc. The car is low tech and I have a couple of ideas but would like to hear of any you may have to stop someone putting a hot wire from starter to coil and a screw driver across the contacts and driving off into the sunset.
    My ideas to date are.....
    1/ A hidden switch that grounds both sides of the coil (fused in case I forget to turn it back)
    2/A link on the floor to lock a chain to, looped through the steering wheel.
    Any advancements on these would be cool and may help others keep there cars safe.
    Cheers JW
    [​IMG]

2. squirrel

squirrel

Is that really a problem down there? never been a problem at any show I've been to

3. Not yet, but times are changing and I want to future proof. JW

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Put the distributor rotor in your pocket when you leave.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Drill a hole in the clutch pedal just above the floor and put a small padlock through it.

Eric H likes this.
  6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Leave a doberman on the seat.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just install an ignition "kill" switch. That opens up the ignition circuit.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. or the coil wire.
    -Pat

9. That I would do but its got a Power-glide. JW

10. Leave it in gear and lock out the clutch pedal. I like that.

11. I have seen a gear lever that could be locked in reverse. I have also driven a manual car i50 miles with a broken clutch cable, its easy and fun ! JW

12. ...................................This would be the logical thing to do.

13. ..............................................Sooo if they stole it they would have to drive it in reverse all the way home............or onto a trailer. Not the best choice.

14. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

x2 to pull the ignition rotor out from under the dizzy cap.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. I agree with the comment on taking the rotor out of the distributer. I would also get one of those tracking devices for you're car. No matter what you do someone who wants to steal it WILL steal it. You get a cell phone looking device that comes with it and you can track it. There is a service to go along and you pay $1 a day to have the car traced and tracked when/if it gets stolen. May seem like a lot of money but it will be worth it in the long run if some bastard does take it.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

use that clutch pedal lock trick on the shifter.

17. Idea # 1 is a type of kill switch where both sides of the coil get joined together when the switch is in that position. If you put a hot wire on the + side of the coil it will melt as the coil is grounded on both sides. JW

18. .........................Simple and easy........or just remove the coil wire and stick it in your pocket. Most criminals are looking for the easy ones to steal.

19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Taking the dizzy rotor with you is good by Rusty,,Coil Wire also by,Pat59{ but a show I have a small hose same color that if a fake one{worked too good one time I forgot an tryed to start my own car ,LOL,I'll add the a gas line shutoff valve is always great to have,some insure even give ya a brake if ya have one,my own valve is out of site but EZ to get to and very handy when working on car too.

20. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Like the first post says, someone could just run a jumper from battery to coil thereby defeating any kill switch.
    I wouldn't worry as much at a show/swap meet as I would for a trip to the store.
    Pulling the rotor is a good idea or just pulling the coil wire.

21. Cheers Dana, forgot about a fuel tap. The dizzy rotor cap is the most obvious but I want something that is quick and easy, taking SB Cevy cap off every time is not that. JW

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  22. I used a kill switch something similar to this,you flip the key and take it with you. HRP

[​IMG]

23. fordcpe

fordcpe

battery switch with key Batt-Switch-LOW_MED.jpg

24. fordcpe

fordcpe

Beat me by one minute

25. Andamo

Andamo

As bold as some thieves are becoming by using tow trucks that look legit, you need to come up with a way so that the cars wheels can't be turned after it's parked. When we hauled our race car in a 40' trailer we used a plastic coated heavy duty chain and threaded it thru the trailer wheels and used a monster type lock.

26. This is the layout, its all easy to get at. I agree its going to the store or being in a parking lot would be my main concern. It will have one of those mains isolating switches also but they are easy to bridge and I cant really lock the car up. JW
    [​IMG]

dana barlow likes this.
  27. I agree that if someone is bent on stealing the car, they will do what ever including push it away. However, a friend of mine has an apparatus he made to slip over the tie rod and lock if to a wishbone. It would be hard to get it off short of cutting it. This would be my first line of defense along with a kill switch. I use a kill switch but yes that doesn't keep the car from rolling. If it won't roll or steer, they can't very easily push or drive it. Think about it. Tim

28. icon_lol.gif HRP

[​IMG]

Lynspop and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  29. A GPS thingie will be installed also.
    Thanks for all the input so far. Its not just for my car as this may help someone else keep there car where they left it. Keep em coming. Cheers. JW :D

30. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC