Register now to get rid of these ads!

History I just saw this about Hillards in Michigan. Sucks.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeucePhaeton, Oct 31, 2014.

1. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

2. scotts52

scotts52

Makes me sick seeing how all these old yards are crushing. So many wouldn't sell stuff for reasonable prices but now they'll sell everything for dirt cheap to a crusher. Ya, I know it's all about the math and how it's cheaper by the dozen. Nonetheless, it just kills me. If only someone could take these over sooner, strip everything down to the bare essentials and list it all and for a fair price. We could all win. FWIW, I try to do my part to buy vehicles and parts when it looks like the prices are getting close to them calling in the scrapper.

3. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I'm sure there is some good trim parts. But most of the junk yards in the northeast that has cars outside, the cars are totally gone. I know of a private yard , that in the past tens years has deteriorated drastically. There is almost nothing worth anything any more.

Ago

56don likes this.
  4. They aren't making any more land,so they need to strip the land for more wally-worlds and shopping malls,apartments.Still looks like some good steel there.Stude hawk,yum...

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Dang, I hate to see it, but It will be what its gonna be, nothing I can do but dream about wanting some of that stuff.
    I would like to have one of those little 4 door vairs for a project Im wanting to do some day but I guess it wont be from one of theseo_O

6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Always amazes me how some people see rust and others see beauty.

Just image what our life's would me like if we destroyed everything that had something to do with our history.

We save old building by yet saving an old car is some how not the same.

Jimbo

7. oldsman41

oldsman41

yes pretty much all the yards around where i live have scrapped there old stuff.keeping the hondas and other new junk.more call for that crap. we have one yard left and he thinks the stuff is worth more than gold.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

We reap what we sow.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe these yards CRUSH shit because they finally got tired of being "low balled" on parts or guys who stepped on the hoods and roofs of a couple cars to get to the "Treasure". Maybe...they just got fed up with guys putting parts in their tool box or bag and NOT paying. Maybe... just maybe, they got fed up with all the bull shit.

We reap what we sow. No more damn tears.

On a good note, check out the bass on the opening of that track.^

10. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

The pics really don't show that most of the cars there are/were Michigan cars and unusable from the door handles down..

I bought from there dozens of times in the 80-90's,back when his body shop was operating. Mostly 40-48 Ford and Studebaker parts, but it was always as the last resort. Prices were higher than any other place in the state. I think the old man raised the prices more as the further you drove to get there.. and first timers had to pay his dues..

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

There have always been Aholes on both sides of the fence when it comes to this subject

12. phat rat

phat rat

Sounds as though the old boy died. He wasn't in the best of health for years. The descriptions given by others as to the shape these were in is accurate

13. Reds 29

Reds 29

Been there many times, only live a few miles away. Erv's health has been poor for years, his kid did a lot the last few years. He did raise the prices on parts for people who came from a distance, he knew he had you. In his defense people stole parts from him, by sneaking them out to the road down from the yard. They been scraping it out all summer. Fair Salvage, we heard, bought it for a large sum. Sheetmetal was gone on most stuff but I bought front brakes from a F-100 from the backing plates out for $150, just 3 years ago, so prices were ok, if you knew him.