Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I destroyed a nice old car, help me fix it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RamblinPat, Jun 24, 2015.

1. RamblinPat

RamblinPat

looks like im in this deep, i cant leave this one behind

patmanta likes this.
  2. RamblinPat

RamblinPat

although, there is a 29 chevy landau coupe down here with a straight axle already under it the guy wants 400 bucks for...

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Unless you find a rambler fan, youre not getting your money back. Maybe some... but not the 5-600.
    Keep plugging away at it, you've made a big dent in the project.
    As some have said, would be a whole lot easier if you had some 2 door doors and make the quarters fit them, then youd have roll up windows too. Hell, why not weld all the doors shut, cut the top off and have a convertable? No need for doors then.

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

You think this rambler was a lot of work.... that 29 chevy will have all WOOD body framing. Steel on top of wood, better bone up on carpentry skills too before you tear into it.

Look at it like this.... If you do end up killing off the rambler you're out 600 bucks and your labor, but as long as you LEARN from it then you got a good lesson in what to do and what not to do on the next car.

patmanta likes this.
  5. Well you have been sucked in by the posers and street freak crowd. All a gasser needs is to be street legal and go fast in a straight line for 1320'. Class was based on weight v displacement and you could even make one competitive with a 6 cylinder.

That said those little grocery getters go really well with even a stockish SBC and one you have got it running and driving you can start saving up your pennys for a thousand dollar motor and build it as you go.

Right now you are @ 30% in your design (and the CAD techs are in love with you :rolleyes: ), looks like you have chosen to do a design/build project and your 60% submission is due in August (running and driving but not a finished project). Your are an EIT and not PE so we are cutting you some slack, but that doesn't mean that you can't miss deadline. Its going to be a long night, now get your head in the game and get it done.

6. verde742

verde742

Be glad you picked a $600 driver,, In my youth when cars where cheaper, I traded two volkswagon front tires, (560x15 ww) for a driving "53 Plymouth tudor, worth 'bout $25.00.

Going to chop the top, read the little books, said it was like chopping a funnel, well, top came down, and fell into the inside of car, my first thought was to narrow the car lengthwise, second thought: move top so I could, and did drive it to wrecking yard on Sunday, left it at the gate, where the dogs barked, and I rode away with my buddy. Learned a lot about chopping tops. Damn, A good Plymouth destroyed !!! Wish I could have A "do over".

7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Don't even think that way. Just finish it, there's tons of valuable learning left in it for you. Lots more mistakes and victories ahead that will help you get the next one just right.

8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Then you will also have perfectly good 29 Chevy Landau Coupe with no front end. Don't buy that unless you want to have 2 projects to juggle because you'll start wanting to build a low, fenderless hot rod coupe as soon as you drag it home.

9. belair

belair

Keep it and work on it. Use it to gain some welding, metal, body work experience, and to better estimate time and skill needs. You aren't beat until you quit.

shivasdad likes this.
  10. czuch az

czuch az

If you abandon this, all you'll get out of it will be experience and the tools you bought.
    Not a bad trade though.
    I would have left it as a 3 door and moved right along. I work with engineers and they can be an odd lot.
    Listening to everyone will screw you every time. Set your head to the wind and dont stop.
    Girlfriends can be overrated, and easily replaced.

11. verde742

verde742

even an airplane takes off against the wind.....

keep working on it.... get the tudors....
    carry on, we a rooting for ya...

12. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

No one ever got good at anything without failing at it more times than not. It's just metal, it can always be fixed. Get the right doors and push on. If it looks like hell when you're done, maybe this is not for you or you just need more practice. Either way you saw it through to the end and finished what you started.

13. RamblinPat

RamblinPat

I just picked up a whole 4x8 of 20 gauge sheet metal over lunch, we'll see what i can make this old girl do. Ive got an old HF welder that i'm praying will see this project through. BTW did i mention i'm only using flux core?

14. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Here is a word of caution for you. Flux core burns HOT! It will burn through easily and will warp a panel in a heartbeat. Have a rag and a bucket of cold water or an airgun nearby. Make sure your settings are correct and use a series of tack welds. Cool the metal frequently to control the warping.

15. RamblinPat

RamblinPat

Well, I think i get that now. I know its a poor method, but I do about an inch section and make like 2 passes at it going really really fast to build up a thicker seam, then i do a final pass after it cools. Best method ive found to not burn holes

16. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I have one of those HF glue guns and @luckythirteenagogo is correct, it will be a tough go. Stop trying to lay a bead on sheet with it. Just do tack spots about 4" apart and hop around. Stop when you feel any heat off the panel and let it rest. That welder should do the 20ga fine if you turn everything all the way down. They're ok with fresh and thicker old metal but I had a lot of blow throughs when I was using mine to mate new metal to some 80 year old stuff that had thinned with rust and exposure. Start on the fresh, thicker metal if the old metal is a little thin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (this has since been cleaned up and I'll finish it with my TIG)

17. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Something that I've found that helps, is to have a hammer handy so that as soon as you weld a small bead while its still red & hot hit it with some medium strikes to flatten the bead. It will help control the warpage cause the heat will want to pull the metal into the bead as it cools. Trust me, I'm no expert by any means, but with sheet metal & flux-core the best bet is about a zillion small spot welds & ALOT of grinding. You're doing fine, crap happens-fix it.

patmanta likes this.
  18. Many moons ago a good friend had a really nice 66 F100, his girlfriend thought she was too good to go out on dates in a pickup truck. After listening to her rants about it he sold the truck and bought a car. Not to soon after that they broke up. The little gold digger was gone and he always regretted having sold his truck.

If what you drive influences your relationship with her you have to ask yourself if she's worth keeping. My experience says ''good-bye chickie'' and move on to the next one. No one needs that kind of drama in their life.

Saxman and 56don like this.
  19. RamblinPat

RamblinPat

were being unfair to her, she just has reservations about safety in a rat rod, she actually installed the plugs and wires that are currently in the car, she is learning, just not excited about it. But seriously, does the "car crazy cutie" exist in the real world?

20. RamblinPat

RamblinPat

but seriously? can a guy really build an inline 6 Gasser? Id love to, and i have a few secret side projects in the works for this old 196, but honestly will by tuned port mod really work out? I know i can build it and make it work, but will tpi and independent coils get me anywhere performance wise? That project has a lot more planning involved in it though!

Honestly guys I really appreciate your support. You all deserve a beer. I was really bummed about this and attacking it like a aboriginal trying to destroy a space shuttle. It was consuming my every thought, so bad I couldn’t even concentrate at work. Writing about it helps a ton. I look forward to being a hamber!!

More updates to come!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  21. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I've never had a worthwhile personal project where I didn't feel heartfelt despair somewhere in the early stages. Hang in there. Personally, my vote is weld everything shut, cut the roof off, and make a flip up bubble top because why the hell not at this point. Go big.

22. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

You just said "rat rod" which is like a fart in church on the HAMB.

Safety concerns are justified and should be a concern for you as well. Build it solid and keep your wiring as clean as you can.

I don't see why you can't build an inline car any style you want. Actually competing in a specific class may be a little difficult to get sorted out, but you're not building this to start your lucrative vintage drag racing career, are you?

23. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

A guy at the track near my home is SUPER competitive there running the "buzzin half dozen" car with a slant 6. Sounds funny, runs a bit slower than some other cars, but they bracket race and he is very consistent with that car.

patmanta likes this.
  24. Inline six, three door Rambler gasser? Sure. That you consult your girlfriend about. Right. And, you're studying to be an engineer... I think you're spoofing us.

At least, I hope you are.

fiftiescat likes this.
  25. I married the prettiest girl in the school over 40 years ago. Our first real encounter was with her bent over the fender of my '55 Ford on a Saturday in her white coveralls all day. next encounter was Sunday in my pit when her and her dad showed up with cheese burgers and our first real date was on a Norton Atlas the following Friday night.

I would avoid a TPI or even a throttle body but yes you can race an inline and be competitive in class. Hell someone from your generation could even bracket race it and race with the big kids and win.
    There is a lot of stupid shit that you could do with it and get laughed off of every stoplight race you could mister but if you stay sane with your build and have fun with it you could make due until you graduate and start makin' the big bucks.

If he is taking engineering classes it is not likely he is going to make the trip, he can't stay on point. Focus is the name of the game if you are shooting for a design job or building a car.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    patmanta likes this.
  26. RamblinPat

RamblinPat

So whats wrong with port injection again? I already have a lot of that planned out. I mean, its on a back burner with this door project, but i'm pretty well into the planing stages of injection. Also, a kid whose bike i repaired has a wrx turbo promised me sitting in a box in his garage. Will that grenade my little engine if i keep it between 2 and 7 psi of boost?

27. If you go turbo and EFI you really have to be conservative with your tune and boost levels until you understand how to tune. There is a learning curve. Megasquirt would be an engine management system with a lot of online support that you could use and it is one of the less expensive aftermarket ECU's out there.

EFI and turbos are really not what the HAMB is based on though.

28. RamblinPat

RamblinPat

well, i can understand that. This is a truly unique place. But what i'm working on is a scratch built controller. Maybe i'll just hide that from this forum for awhile. Honestly, I wish i could build a flathead based hot rod, with header dumps and dual Rochesters but ya know, 2015, student, low budget, ect...

29. indyjps

indyjps

30. but ya know, 2015, student, low budget, ect...

(This collection must be the "ECT..." You're referring too :) )

64 rambler 4doorish
    65 rambler 440
    67 rambler rogue
    68 rebel
    56 Studebaker commander
    72 comet

So with a collection like that and spreading your thin time and thin budget around amongst it ect...