Register now to get rid of these ads!

HVLP Turbine Paint Systems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TxF100, Nov 9, 2010.

1. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

Whoaa no need to drop $1800. A decent starter set is the unit sold by www.turbineproducts.com. Last I knew they retailed about $450. The gun is a loose copy of the Sicmo and shot well when I tried one. The turbine is a 3 stage, and Ametek I believe. You seriously do not need 4, 5 or 6 stages when shooting enamels, lacquers, primers, basecoats and non NS clears, as most of the time you dial the pressure back anyway. Keep in mind that the old Croix CX-7 was hugely popular for guys painting entire aircraft with urethanes, enamels and other single component paints, and it was only a 2 stage turbine, many are still in use. 99.9% of my painting uses a dialed back 3 stage as I have always found I get better results with more reduction and less pressure. Anyway I would not shy away from the sprayfine system, it looked to be well made and well supported. If you choose later to get a fancier gun all the connections are standard so its an easy swap.

2. I just shot the blue single stage with the tp turbine. It's the first paint I ever shot, except for some dust it came out pretty good. I shot 2 coats and have little to none orange peel. ImageUploadedByTJJ1330125283.492390.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1330125344.393144.jpg

3. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

Looks nice! I use a simple brass garden nozzle as a "blow off" gun before painting. Dust is always the enemy in a home shop, that and the darn bugs that have to drag their dying bodies through some fine metallic I just layed down.....always!

4. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Hey Aerometalworker : I just came across the Sprayfine at turbineproducts. I am looking for a Turbine only and see that they sell their 3 stage Turbine for $ 325.00. I already have a Accuspray Model 10 Gun and tubing. You're saying that this is all that you'd need to spray Epoxy Primer, High Build Urethane Primer, Urethane Basecoat and Urethane HS Clearcoats ??? Also maybe Polyester Primer too. Of course, I'd set up the gun (nozzle and air cap) to suit what is being sprayed. If this is all that I'd need, that would be great.

Thanks,
    VR&C.

5. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

You got it!
    A 3 stage is more than enough for what you have listed, and the 10 gun does an excellent job with that available pressure. I would use a 1.0mm nozzle setup for the base, clear and epoxy, and a 1.5ish for the high build. play with reduction a bit, dial in your pattern and enjoy it!

6. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Hey Aerometalworker : I use the Accuspray with the Compressed air conversion fitting. My usual set ups are : Base (1.3), Clear (1.4), Epoxy (1.5), High build Primer (2.0) and Polyester Fill Primer (2.5). Would these set ups be O.K. with the 3 stage turbine ?? ??

Thanks,
    VR&C.

7. johnod

johnod

Have you got a link to turbine products?

8. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

http://www.turbineproducts.com/

I have been doing some additional research. Last night I was reading the Tech data

on a lot of the paint that I shoot and most of them are spec'd for 8 -10 p.s.i. at the

cap. This concerns me with the Sprayfine 3 stage since it states that is has 6.5 p.s.i.

output. I am not one to be cheap and the Apollo 5 stage is a max. of 9.5 p.s.i. Once

you get the right set up, turbine is the way to go no matter what you are spraying.

"True H.V.L.P.".

VR&C.

9. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

I think what you will find is that with the low VOC materials, they are sugesting as high of a cap pressure as possible. Thats why I suggested playing around with the reduction of the material, the thinner the viscosity the less the cap pressure required. If you have the bucks than get as many stages as you can afford, you can always dial them back to reduce overspray. Another part of the key is nozzle size to cap pressure. With 6psi cap pressure ( in reality its closer to 3-4 ) a nozzle thats too large will overwhelm the available atomizing air, think of it as being too "rich". So "lean" it out a bit with a smaller nozzle, reduce the paint a touch, dial in the pattern, and get in close ( 8" or less ) and move like mad. I for one have never found a paint manufacturers spray gun recomendations to ever be right, or even close. Good Luck!

10. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

One thing nobody has talked about is how is how far the paint goes with a HLVP turbine. I used ONE galon on this car--inside -outside-wheels-under hood--everything ONE GALLON I couldn't believe it.

Attached Files:

• 667.jpg
      667.jpg
      File size:
      393.6 KB
      Views:
  11. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Nice car.

12. 55CadillacTed

55CadillacTed

quick question about this turbine hvlp gun (link below).
    it's a $340 Campbell Hausfeld.
    i'm a paint novice.
    i basically want a super cheap paint gun system because i don't have a compressor and this will probably be the only car i paint.
    Do you think this gun is good enough to shoot the epoxy primer after my filler work?
    i'll bring my car to a pro to shoot the color coat / clear coat.
    Thanks!!
    (PS - $350 is about the max i could spend)

http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Haus...f=sr_1_13?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1333587204&sr=1-13

13. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

I came to this thread because I was looking at the TP-90 ....then I see terms like "accuspray system " is this just another name brand ???

I like the idea but trying to make the best of my $ here .. figure it would be good for "in shop " spraying instead of going to the yet built spray booth

Thanks

14. LittleBritishCar

LittleBritishCar
    from Napa, CA

So what is the best system one could put together for a decent price or am I better off ordering the TP-90 and calling it a day? This will be my first paint job and I'm doing it in a garage - 2 stage urethane.

15. Cadillac Ted sent ya a PM
    B-o-B

16. Tp 90 says it puts out very little overspray. I primed my truck in the driveway and had overspray on a car about 3 car lengths away ,wind was about 5 mph. I didnt have any fans in the garage when I painted the color but overspray dust was on every corner of my 3 car garage. Dont know if it was bad shooting and or lack of fans but there is overspray.

17. I've been wondering the same thing...

What's the most bang for the buck?

18. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I have the TP 90 and I get zero overspray. After having it a few years I did not realize how crappy the guns (I have both the gravity and suction guns) were until I bought a Fuji gravity feed gun. Night and day difference in spray quality. Cup is adjustable so its always vertical. A little spendy, but well worth the money.

19. LittleBritishCar

LittleBritishCar
    from Napa, CA

I ordered the TP system yesterday to work on my MGB-Camaro project. I pan on shooting an epoxy primer and two stage urethane paint so Ill report back when it is complete. It seems that the naysayers are the people who have never used one because nearly everybody who has seems to love it. I figure it is worth a try for $700, especially since I just bought a house and have lots of non automotive stuff to paint.

20. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

I just ordered the Turbine Products Sprayfine system. My experience with painting is ZERO, but hope to have good luck with this system. The first task will be spraying Epoxy Primer (bought the 1.5 nozzle also) on my 50 Merc.

Not sure what is meant by reducing and dialing pressure to get the right spray pattern. Wish me Luck!

Lots of humidity in the air down here. Even though I have a DevilBiss 3 stage filter system on my compressor, thought this system would produce better results.

21. I bought a TIP turbine system about 10 years ago. My dad, whos typical paint job has more runs than a track meet, used it and shot his first perfect paint job ever and swears by it.

I, on the other hand, swear AT it. I have used both HVLP and "standard" guns for years and am used to them. I grabbed my turbine to try on a T and had to simply walk away, I couldn't get it to shoot for me for shit. So, I waited for the paint to dry, sanded down and shot with what I know.

22. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

I suppose the old saying holds true. The surest way to do something, is the way you are most familiar with. Holds true be it painting systems, measurement units, paint types, machining, woodworking, metalwork etc. I grew up with turbines so they came as second nature, but compressor guys seem to have lots of issues.

23. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

Since this seems to be the only thread for HVLP turbine systems, I thought I would thow this tidbit of info out there. Tuff-Guard garden hose makes an excellent air hose to replace or lengthen your expensive existing hose. For some reason all the HVLP companies make hoses out of OTS ( off the shelf ) discharge hose, with a couple garden hose fittings and charge a fortune for it. The tuff-guard hose is the same material as many of the hvlp hoses, for half the price. For durability when using the system out of the shop I always use a 3 foot section of 3/4" ID rubber air hose between the lighter hose and turbine to take the thermal abuse. In the shop the turbine is plumbed through the shop with 1.5" PVC with a remote power switch in the booth. Happy Spraying!

24. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Aerometalworker: Can you provide more definition (part number) of the Tuff-Guard garden hose? I just bought a 3 stage TP system. I like it, but the ribbed hose seems to catch on everything and 25' is not long enough to be convenient. I like the system, especially down here in the South with all the humidity! Been spraying AutoKote epoxy primer and Urethane Satin Black on my 50 Merc. Pictures of your PVC plumbing setup would also be very helpful.

Attached Files:

25. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

www.tuffguardhose.com is the companys website and thry list where you can get it. Comes in lengths from 25-100 feet I think. Ill warn you, it is ribbed as most of the nice flexible ones are. For the PVC thing, I have the turbine in the far corner of the shop and plumbed PVC along the wall from it to the painting area. A short section of 3/4" rubber hose connects it to the PVC and at the paint booth end I have a quick connect mounted at a convenient height. The electrical is just a switched outlet with the switch in the paint area, and the outlet at the turbine. Nothing fancy, just real basic plumbing and electrical with all the pieces bought at the local home store. Makes it real nice to be able to walk up, plug the hose and gun in to the wall, and flip[ a switch all at a nice height, plus having the turbine further away keeps it clean, the noise down, and cools off the air a ton.

26. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Been spraying AutoKote Epoxy primer with my 3 stage Sprayfine Turbine Products HVLP system. I must admit that the siphon spray gun is "by design" bulky and does not use all the material in the cup. Also difficult to use in any orientation other than upright.

I was thinking of using the remote cup attachment, but then I have another set of hoses to maintain while spraying. Noticed that Turbine Products does not offer a gravity feed spray gun with the system. Does anyone have a recommendations for a gravity feed gun with this system?

27. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Called Turbine Products after looking at their website for a gravity feed spray gun. They make a conversion kit that adapts their siphon gun to a gravity feed. I also found out you can order their 3 stage HVLP system with a gravity feed gun (has the conversion kit already installed).

The conversion kit is $35, so I ordered one to try. Rather like the gravity feed gun over the siphon gun.

28. aerometalworker

aerometalworker

I have used the TP conversion system, works pretty well. I have been using the 3M PPS system lately and love it. I am cleaning and re-using the liners and lids, so more or less using it as an all-position cup. The other advantage is you can pull the liners and lids out, and plug them to keep the paint between shootings. This works well on 1K paints.

29. husker

husker

Been kicking one of these around and darn glad I did a search and found this thread.

30. txturbo

txturbo

I've had a TP HVLP turbine system since 1996. I use it for all my painting. Even loaded it in the trunk and taken it to a buddies house and painted his sons car. I painted my mothers house with it once. I wouldn't do it any other way. With all the regulations I don't see why they haven't forced the body shops to use them. Way cheaper than a conventional system, use less paint, don't have to deal with water/oil separaters, way less overspray.....of course they aren't very "traditional" though.
    I can park my van sideways in my driveway to block the view and paint a car in my driveway with traffic going by and no one even knows whats going on unless they pull in and get out.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013