Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Hudson Jet Stock Car Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaun1162, Jan 2, 2014.

1. If you can't keep the '39 trans together, maybe look at a T5 out of a 4x4 and the adapter to bolt it to the closed Ford rear. But in the meantime it will get you moving when the time comes.

2. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I've been thinking about a T5, it's definately a good option. I think those adapters are pretty expensive though right? Like $400-$500? Obviously a lot of work in them, but don't think I can swing that any time soon...

3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Or you could convert to open drive, perhaps cheaper. You could fab a simple torque arm to compensate for the torque tube.

4. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

The original engineering is what makes it neat, the torque tube and tranny are part of the fabric of a car like that....my two cents anyway.

5. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I think I'm in the same boat at this point... Using all early Ford V8 stuff with the 3 speed, torque tube, banjo, etc. makes it a pretty unique car- even when it was built!

6. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I posted this in the regular forum, but maybe posting it on here might help too. I'm trying to find another backing plate like the one I have... I've had that one mounted, and it clears all of the steering and suspension. Tried a bunch of different backing plates, and they all had issues, except for this one- only trouble is I can't seem to find a match, especially when I'm not 100% what it came off of.

The best I can tell it's either a Ford 3/4 ton from the 50's, or a Buick. One set of holes fits the Ford spindle (the ones with white next to them), no idea on the other bolt pattern. Pretty sure they're 12x2 brakes, possibly a little wider. Overall backing plate is about 13.5", and the offset/indent is around 1.75"

The front of my car has the Ford 3/4 ton snouts bolted on to it, which were popular with old racers. The drums that came on the car (which I plan to use) are the old aluminum wide 5 drums that used to be sold back in the day. The trouble is that the car didn't have any backing plates on the front of it...

I managed to find this lone backing plate that fit it right on, and had clearance for everything else. There's an identical one on my Dad's car that runs the same aluminum wide 5 drum so I know it'll work- I just need to find another one to match!

I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Vintage rececar guys might know immediately, but in the meantime, have you tried to look for any numbers stamped into it? They may be filled by old paint or rust. Try hitting it with a gentle wire brush and soaking it in evaporust maybe.

8. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Think I have a couple in the shed.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Hey Hugh- Any chance you could take a look some time? Don't need them right off, but it would really get me out of a jam. Thanks

10. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I have two, will save 'em for you.

11. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Sounds great! Much appreciated.. I'll send you a message about them.

12. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Well, haven't updated my thread much, but I've been making a fair amount of progress on the old Jet. I took a couple pictures today, but I'll take some more soon. I've got the firewall and floors pretty much done, the steering is all in place and works (just need to finish weld the mounts), and over the weekend I got the rear-end out and stripped down. Found out that there was a mini-spool inside the banjo, that's how they were running the 12 spline 3/4 axles. Thinking of just re-using the mini-spool for now... If I don't like it, I can always pull the rear and try again.

Also took the time to pressure wash underneath it... I think I've collected at least 50lbs worth of dirt, clay, leaves, undercoating, and rust that have fallen out while working on so I thought I'd get rid of most of it.

[​IMG]

patmanta likes this.
  13. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Here's an overdue update... Looks like I still need to fix the pictures in the beginning of the thread- left over from the old HAMB albums.

Anyways, I started work on the rear-end last fall, and now things are starting to come together. Painted the rear-end red like it was before.

I've figured out a way to retain the 3/4 ton drums and hubs, while eliminating the 12 spline axle "mini-spool" that was inside the car, and having an open differential. More on that to come, after the machine work is done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bigbore1934 and patmanta like this.
  14. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

what happened here?