Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Hubcaps on '60s Customs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Aug 21, 2014.

1. So i just picked up a 62 olds 2 dr hard top, and as it were, i'm just not real stoked on the stock ride height and raised white letter sidewalls that came with it.

I'm weighing out my options for a quick and dirty make over without spending an arm and a leg so buying a set of wheels is not in the foreseeable future, that money will most likely get spent on a set of springs. so i really have only a couple of options, keep the dog dish caps and rings, install a set of spider caps or go to a full wheel cover.

was hoping you fellas could supply some pics of '60s customs with full wheel covers (or whatever else) just so i can get a feel for it.

thanks.

2. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I had a candy blue 62 starfire w/chrome reverse and babymoons on the blvd in 64, a friend had a yellow 62 starfire also w/chrome reverse and baby moons both cars had bellflowers. I beleive a Kustom would have a hubcap of a newer model car and not from an older model, can't think of a 63 or newer hubcap thats appealing

3. yeah... that's what i was thinking.

the car will eventually get a set of bellflowers, and my gut keeps telling me to go with chrome reverse and spiders.

4. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Attached Files:

5. Plymouth cones were popular and my bud Gator put em on plenty of 50's and 60's Kustoms

6. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I have a '61 and have been pondering the same thing, look at '56 olds wheel covers, I think they are pretty cool. Post a pic of your 62! I just stripped a '62 4dr ht, so need anything?

7. The car i picked up is almost 100% complete and original. only missing the glove box insert and right front kick panel.

this is my favorite angle!

[​IMG]

gotta56forme and hendelec like this.
  8. 1pickup

1pickup

just grind the white letters into wide whites, or pinners for that 60's look

9. missysdad1

missysdad1

Scout the Car Craft and Rod & Custom magazines from 1962 to 1967 to see exactly what was in style on big body customs during that era...and what wasn't.

Seems that just about everything with wheels ran chrome reversed wheels or Buick Skylark wires with pinner whites during that era...unless it was a race car or street gasser.

Wide whites were DEAD after '62, right along with full hubcaps, red wheels, lakes pipes, headlight visors, fake spotlights and foxtails...with few exceptions. You've got a really great car to work with. Take your time, do your homework and do it right.

10. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dynamic 88, nice ride!! If it were me, assuming the tires are good, flip the tires so the blackwalls are out, keep the dogs and rings, and save your money for more the important things until the wheel/tire combo comes along you can not live without.