Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

If your heads are milled you may need to have them recrowned. Otherwise the pistons hit. I had a set of edmunds like that.

2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Shut your mouth! Are you tryin to drain my bank account?Lol I am gonna get custom Pistons done up but I might have to cut the chambers. Hope not cause you can run out of room for the valves real quick too. These things are what are leaving me considering the stock 3.750 stroke, works good in my BBC 440 set up, that's a lot of of over bore to a 427 tall deck agricultural block, and yes I'm showing off a little,

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Not trying to burst your bubble.
    Get some thick headed pistons and machine the dome off. Probably make more power that way anyway.

4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

And they'd be lighter to boot.

5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

o_OYou started cutting this thing up yet???

6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

You didn't see the pic in post #163??? I've only cut the cowl off, pulled off the rear bumper, removed the dash and inner door handles, cleaned out the roof track and all the loose odd and ends like wires, rods, and cables.
    Mostly it's been planning and parts scrounging to the tune of seven grand! including the car. I can't believe it, everything has been on the cheap and great deals, maybe this will show my level of parts closeness. Speaking of deals... Looks like my new favorite HAMB member Ford Mike may be saving my hot rod impossible dream with frame assistance. I don't know if I feel comfortable sharing the details of people's incredible acts of kindness but I will say it involves 32 Henry steel! There is some good people out there still and I hope to be one of them too.

chryslerfan55 and Ford Mike like this.
  7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I was just poking fun at ya! I want to see what the cowl section is gonna look like once you start grafting the 32 bits on. CHOP CHOP! Time waits for no man!

8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I think I'm gonna build the frame, then bolt the fire wall on then work back from there. There will be calculations of course so the 32 frame accommodates the 34 wheelbase and any difference in wheel well position. There is some concerns I have for the placement of the cowl top and distance the hoods sides reach down. I haven figured out the door height or cowl side difference between 32-34. The lower 32 hood side, 32 cowl side, and 34 rocker body lines all have to "line" up.
    Then I can repair the 34 panels, build a floor, and a million other things.

chryslerfan55 and volvobrynk like this.
  9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Intake's here today, thanks Ford Mike. Gave it a light clean up. Waiting on spacers which I'll beat up then weld on and then give the whole thing a poorly executed polish all to retain its old look.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441740039.023609.jpg
    Also got my shift linkage rods today and rear brakes in the mail. Good parts day that's for sure. Now I have to schedule my trip up to SE Michigan to get my rear axle, bones, and torque tube. Gonna have to replace the gear at some point to get it into the 3s:1. But I'll put it in the car as is for a while.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    volvobrynk, Ford Mike and slv63 like this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

More axle progress today. Might actually be about halfway done or just short of it.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441826673.861103.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441826781.509707.jpg
    Bottom before diggin in
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441826807.704203.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441833823.492748.jpg
    Almost done cuttin in on the bottom. Just running a partial peak, it fades into a round radius after about five inches from perch bolt hole.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441826974.050159.jpg
    Top. Might give up on a full peek. Have no desire to weld one in either. They run inward enough to be under the grill shell. Time to mess with the front and back a little then switch to 80 grit and really pull it together, And so forth...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    chryslerfan55 and Tuck like this.
  11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks @Muttley!! I can't wait to see these holding my finished axle.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1441887120.856356.jpg

12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Achk! Those bones are too nice you should sell me to me! I got some nice black ones.

13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Is that some kinda psychology thing? Me am mother hand a perfectly healthy relationship!
    One is much better than the other. But they're just right for tricky people into believing it was built a long time ago.
    This thing is gonna be sooooooo cool.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I wire wheeled out the recesses the other day. Now I'm trying some of that Evapo-Rust on it to finish it off.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442162727.408151.jpg
    I saw on a u tube vid where it will darken the clean areas. I'm doing this now so when I continue I can remove any darkness or flash rust from rinsing it off. I'm looking into a sandblast attachment for my power washer for doing parts of the body and Molasses for other bits like these.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442163109.959506.jpg

16. DAM! This is getting interesting.......Keep the up dates coming.....

Runnin shine likes this.
  17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

This isn't much of a HAMB worthy update but...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442196849.153581.jpg
    I just had to see some maroon in there. I know it's not a big fabrication deal but these little 15 minute type projects I can fit in. They help me see what all the trouble is for. I've always fiddled with little tidbits that have nothing to do with where I'm at in a build but are fun or have a quick turnover.

18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Finally have started on 80 grit. Now it's gonna start to take shape.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442264666.634710.jpg
    I suppose you can't see much difference with phone pics but trust me it's looking better. This is the end that I heated up then welded in the peak. There's some porosity cause like a fool I held the torch in my left hand and mig in the other to keep the axle hot. I think the torch was blowing the welding gas away cause it stopped once I put the torch aside. Oh, and this is how that liquid rust remover did
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442264829.227103.jpg
    It could use another dose but I'll just spray some rusty metal primer before the black and clear. I'm not overly concerned with it starting to rust again. I am building a POS after all.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  19. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

A good looking POS though :) Keep the updates coming.

Runnin shine likes this.
  20. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I have a feeling you will be 100% spot on with that assessment! ;)

Runnin shine likes this.
  21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Decisions decisions... I was thinking of polishing the spindles, I know you have to draw a line somewhere but... I have a set of clean round backs and new king pin set to run with this axle. This would be the easy route with assembly a specially with the 40 brakes and hubs.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442411823.653415.jpg
    I don't much care for the steering arm and haven't come up with a fresh way to modify it, which makes me feel inadequate.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442411926.049160.jpg
    I bought this really rough set of 32/34s for my PU to get it lower and have the factory arm I love. Since buying the Tudor I have the set from the car that can go to the truck. Since this pair needs so much clean up any way, seems like there the best candidate for polishing? The backing plates will be more trouble and I don't have kingpins/bearings set. Oh what should I do boys?
    PS. I'm not going to chrome the backing plates, I promise, or maybe...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    chryslerfan55 and waxhead like this.
  22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Are you still running the f1 axle in the truck?

I would put the 32 spindles on the car. With Chrome backing plates and Chrome homes it should look killer.

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

The ol'F1 axle is going to get hung on the wall. The 34's front bones, axle, and spindles are going to the truck. I'll get the axle dropped. The 41 bones from the truck and maybe the F1 axle are for the planned next build( 60s east coast style channeled show car model A,Crushed glass baby!) after the PU is finished.
    The trouble with adding new chrome is I feel I have to beat it up to blend in with the other parts. Remember now what the body looks like, that I'm not painting, and that it is paramount, that it doesn't look like I built the car, especially after 1948.
    I know that I will have to have a set of old style spring and cap ball ends chromed to add on to the chrome bones. Also might do the pitman arm steering link rod but not the tie rod.

24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Ok I promise to stop posting about the axle until it's finished from now on. I finished up with the 80 grit and grinder and now will switch to finer stuff, maybe the DA?
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442430079.663814.jpg
    I tried a little 240 strip paper by hand. Whoooo, ever hand sand forged steel?!!! Ah, to drill or not to drill...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442430182.731269.jpg
    A little pretend time. These cut short perch bolts will be just right for Tig welding into the bones for spring behind! Might barely effect the chrome if I take it easy.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  25. Pete

Pete

Dude, I'm diggin what your about to do! Why not, the bodies not cherry and you have the parts. The photoshop looks awesome! Almost makes it look like an Australian or German made sedan.... Go with it!!

chryslerfan55 and Runnin shine like this.
  26. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Why don't you paint the backing plates and do a fake patina on them rather than chroming them and trying to make them look old?

27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah Dick you got it. I was just jokin on myself earlier. If I keep chrome'n up every bit and piece I'll have contradicted the entire build concept. I think the drilled 40 plates I got are enough trickery. I do have to age them though, thanks as always, Wyatt.

28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442514392.598897.jpg
    Another pointless pic of intake after giving it an intentional shit polish job. Next stop porting then 4" spacers.

29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I need to post more pics, you are leaving me in the dust.....

30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I feel pretty dorky posting all the time. I'm not doing any real fab work nor putting any real hours in. I like the other threads with a lot of pics. I hope someone else gets something out of mine but mostly it just keeps me feeling part of something and motivated to keep going.