Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Old Chrome!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444423534.094531.jpg
    Axle showed up today, thanks CornFed. It will take some work but I think I can make it passable. It isn't near as nice as the other would've turned out but this fits the look i'm after much better. It goes with the bones like they came from the same car, crazy.

2. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Now this is pretty uninteresting stuff but...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444847837.650828.jpg
    I cracked open porcupine #2 today. It was stuck but I freed'r up. Standard bore, factory stroke, substantial cylinder ridge, ugly, ya da ya da ya da...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1444848064.430187.jpg
    Only thing worth mentioning is the factory relieve and this cute piston dinger to the crowns edge. I was thinking broken ring?
    Current plans aren't to use this block for its relieve. I would like to do my own on the other block that will be much more substantial. I consider this my backup motor that will be put together, if all works out w/porcupine #1, pretty mild and could see duty in another planed build down the road. I may try to use the Pistons from #1 in this since they might be useable and I'm going bigger on Hubba Hubba.
    Next step around here is to reinforce the body then take it off the 34 frame. After that some sandblasting to some areas before repair. But most important is going to PA to get the frame for this bad boy. Wyatt over and out!

4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Bump
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445549880.933742.jpg
    The Moose added a few touches.
    I'm probably not going to run the lights that low and forward. The headlight bar is going to more closely follow the lower grill shell chin and have the V8 emblem on it right in front of the crank hole. I also am pretty adamant about using tire sizing more common to the forties. If you look closely you'll see hair pins. I have never liked'm except on more race purposed builds, for me it's mostly all about Henry parts when it comes to the body and chassis, but I'm not perfect either.
    Oh... I love this car and want it in metal not 1s and 0s.

5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445876033.796978.jpg
    Frame's here, oh oh, here I go again(82 year old rusty frame) Title Fight defense. Stay tuned for extensive story telling and back patting. This is going to be so much fun, I can't wait to get out there and start cutting. My only worries are making the four plus inches x2 of missing reveal appear magically in my hands and hiding the repairs once finished while still keeping it looking old. Blasting and painting the frame black is for lazy people! Just foolin. Thanks again FordMike this is all your fault!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446056890.726829.jpg
    Why would I show you something so trivial as this spreader bar I built? First it's raining here and I want to accomplish something everyday on this build. Secondly, I'm about to tear down the 34 chassis. I've been taking a lot of measurements and planning hard. There will be many crisscrossing of 32 and 34 specs here. One is that the 32 frame once opening up in it's midsection under the body will continue at this same width all the way to the rear a'la 33-34 frame style to facilitate the 34 body, rear crossmember, and gas tank fitment. I also will build the floors myself inspired by the stock 34 floor, which has long rusted away, from the rear of the front seats to the back panel.The floor from the firewall to just past the front seats will be 32 in construction. The body will mount in a similar 33-34 fashion. Anyhow, the spreader is of the 34 width and diameter but uses 32 size flanges to bolt to... 32 frame horns. Having built it now it can take part in the original 1932 frame rebuilding and reshaping process I'm starting or saving should I call it.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446060917.239135.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  7. This is starting to get very interesting as I knew it would......I like the direction you are going..

Runnin shine likes this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Body is off the frame!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446321763.186224.jpg
    In a mad dash to get the desired bits off the chassis so I can go get them and the 32 frame chunks blasted Thursday. Then I start real fabrication work, hold on to your seat.

9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Holy cow is that frame ever rotten!

bengeltiger and Runnin shine like this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Surprisingly the x member, which I'm after and the rear crossmember I'm using too are in pretty good shape. Frame... What frame? The x member is holding it all together.

11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Frame's in pieces.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446419544.342897.jpg .
    Still have to get the R.crossmember and R.spring out. The front springs main leaf is broken, bummer, but there's still lots of doodads I can use.

volvobrynk and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I just couldn't put the cut-off tools away!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446495050.280060.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446495094.314148.jpg
    Actually I'm gonna take the top to sandblast. The roof channel and inside header need a lot of clean up. I thought long and hard on this trim even if it looks hasty.

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446602730.041467.jpg
    Got this nice(for Hubba Hubba) fog light for next to nothin. I'm trying to resist the urge to be unoriginal on this one. I really like how a single looks but it seems tired and I just don't know how it will look sans the frame horns.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  14. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Moose is still doing photoshop work upon request. :rolleyes:

15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446674301.724553.jpg
    Had to bight the bullet and cut the K-member out to be able to get at the rust. I was trying to leave it in there to keep the beast partially square while making repairs to the back half and alterations. It's going back to FordMike when I'm done. I'm trying hard to save as much Henry as possible but I'm not going to get risky with safety. I'll have to replace two pretty long sections of the 32's bottom c channel strip in the mid section. The bad news is I'm afraid I'll have to sand blast all of the outside rail and re-finish them. I want it to look old as hell but I'm torn about faking it, doesn't seem very cool to pretend.
    Oh and for those who notice, yes the side of the garage is where I do must cutting and grinding. One is the mess, two is it gets me farther from the napping kids while I squeeze out a couple hrs of hot rod time each day. I wish it was four hrs then I'd be getting somewhere.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

^ and hand rubbed brush painted lacquer would be awesome.....

bengeltiger and Runnin shine like this.
  17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

And you could paint it outside during nap time. Lol.

And buff out the grass and lady bugs after.

bengeltiger likes this.
  18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks gents. I can't express how much I want this thing to look like most would deem as shit. It just leaving me scratching my head since I don't have all the parts with one consistent patina. I'm trying hard to tie it all in and I have a vision. Yes it might not work though. I've been recently contemplating painting it up to the belt line(dull of course). I just love the top half's finish. Again I can't believe I got my hood tops blasted. Please keep the feedback coming. I'm at least half stuck here. It's tough when you really see something as badass to yourself in one way and can't bring your stubborn noggin to see another. Also I'm not trying to impress anyone with these things so I want all of this to be subdued. Most of all this is dictated by being poor folk. There seems to be a million shiny black 32 fords out there. I can't afford it and do not envy it either.
    "Well I must be a hell of a man"

19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

My point was it would look very cool to make it look like it was new and transported through time instead of just old and somewhat neglected.

-Brent- likes this.
  20. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Runnin shine likes this.
  21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah thanks, I know of Neal's car and love it. Now I'll read back through his thread again for inspiration.

22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

What about this fellas?
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446825185.937624.jpg
    Or this?
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446825228.168834.jpg
    Magic by the moose.

timwhit, volvobrynk and -Brent- like this.
  23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I like the first one, with a hand rubbed WD40 top coat. Just to give it a very light shine. Might attract some dust though.........

Runnin shine likes this.
  24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yeah probably go the worn dull hand rubbed route. Shiny would just be contradictory to the cars theme. But I'm personally torn over which is cooler the painted car or old shit car as I call it. One is a little more work and money. At least there's no blow it apart and start over in a couple years.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

This is the only color I'll consider. I just don't know if it maked the car look more or less badass than it needs to be. Fortunately I've practically mastered the art of making a paint job look old and not Boyd/Foose. I don't mean wet sanding through to primer either, which is fine, but There's always just taking a lazy route with flattener.

26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Given the fact you are seeing so much faked and clear coated over patina I am of the opinion patina has reached its apex as a fad and will fade quickly. At least I hope so..

27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Looks like you and Brent are gonna have your way. Even the wife likes the dirty grey, which is hard to believe since she's not a big fan of all this. It will have to be finished less than par though. I want it to look old and it has to fit these parts I've scrounged. You'll just have to see it in person to get how these shiny bits are not nice, they have character, and look great from the bleachers, but have soul and a story up close. That's the way I like it. I must be strange but I don't get a 80+ year old car that looks brand new, it doesn't give me tingly vibes that way.
    Tomorrow morning at around ten I start sandblasting these parts. Now will be the time to strip the whole roof section and I can't go back. The front tins are already stripped. The body I'll have to do later.

waxhead and -Brent- like this.
  28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Well Brent I hope this car can be one of the cool ones, it sure is a lot of work, thinking, and money.
    Thanks for the support

29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

30. Keep it going as it is starting to get very interesting to me. I really like the way you think things out.....

Runnin shine likes this.