Register now to get rid of these ads!

HP Loss- Which Rear End Is Best

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38FLATTIE, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Brahm

Brahm

I'd be a little weary of the 7.5" 10 bolt if I recall it's what came in the mid/early 90's camaros. I used to have alot of friends that raced those style cars and they blew up a lot of rear ends even with decent parts, and we aren't talking very quick cars either. Mid 12's to High 11's

2. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Oh, it'll be all right! If I was running Mid 12's to High 11's, I'd use the quickchange.

For the salt, it won't be abused as much as I'm sure your friends' were.

3. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

813-634-9556 very nice guy with tons of info.

4. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

One trick I've used is to use a thinner oil. At LSR speeds the torque in the rear will be fairly low and you won't need the EHD that the thicker oil provides. A thinner oil will have less parasitic pumping losses than a thicker one. Also, if you lower the oil level the power losses go down. Air is a lot easier to pump than light oil. The tricky part to both of these is to figure out when the oil is too thin and too low. The only way I know of doing this is to monitor the bearing temps. Dry sumping the rear axle would be the ultimate but take some time and thought to get it right.

Good luck with your speed quest.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

How do the 55-64 GM rears fair as far as parasitic drag?