Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to run two engines side by side on one car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironmatt72, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Flip the rear end over.

2. my next questio would have been "why?". mebbee in the future he is going to link 'em up, guess we will see him again in April at the L.R.

3. duste01

duste01

I have thought of many cool ways to complicate the idea, but as of yet the most difficult idea I havent solved is how to pay for it.

4. sedan33

sedan33

Saw this at Deuce Day last year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

saw classified add for two hemi engines from boat one was rev. direction there you go......watch rfd channel espn or lucas on the edge show on speed ch for tractor pull shows >>>if they can hook up 5 hi hp engines you can do 2

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  6. rtp

rtp

Make up double motor plates for front and rear of blocks, both motors face same way. Mount in car pointing to the rear. Jack shaft between blocks ,Comon gear engages flywheels . Mount third flywheel-flexplate on other end (front of motors tword rear of car). mount trans of choice .
    No more Questions JUST DO IT.

Yall have a nice day rtp

7. duste01

duste01

Here are the pictures from the other computer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

put that in your pipe and smoke it.....

8. ABBoston

ABBoston
    from Boston

9. Easiest way is to run one engine faceing frontwards and the other backwards.

Chain the crank snout of the frontwards engine to the tail of the crank on the backwards engine.

Then run one tranny back to an offset rear end. Its been done and redone this way. It works.

10. I think this is a cool idea! Ive always wanted to do a multi engine rod of some sort, I think the side by side setup would look the best. There was a AMBR car from the sixties that had a similar set up as the mysterion some potential there . As to the reason why? because its COOL and different I say go for it!

11. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I'll admit I haven't read the entire thread, but has anyone brought up the idea of what the big twin engined/single screw inboard boats use? I wonder if something has been or could be adapted to work with this idea?

12. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Prolly not... Anything on the water with twin engines and a single screw is most likely going to be full displacement, which meas heavy and slow. Water weighs 62 lbs per cubic foot, so 1000 cubic feet of water displacement is equal to 30 tons of boat.

A 1000 cu/ft hole in the water would be a boat hull [at the water line] 35 feet long, 8 feet wide, with a 5 foot draft... Whan you think about it, that's not really a lot of boat. Most commercial full displacement boats start at 50 feet long with a 10 foot beam.

It surprises a lot of people to learn that you do not want to save weight in a boat [except full plane boats that are designed for speed... And you would NEVER find a dual engine/single screw in one of these]

If you did find a 2 into 1 gearbox from a marine application, in all likelyhood, it would weigh well over a ton... Probably a couple tons.

13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Any pics of the full car?

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

who left a steaming pos in your cornflakes? maby he wants to do it because it's a very cool thing to do, it's a hot rod,it doesn't have to be practical, if you want practical get a prius, I wonder if there is anything on the twin mill? remember the guy who built the real life replica of the hot wheels car? Don't pay attention to the naysayers i think it's a very cool idea. :D

15. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Probably the most succesfull gas dragster of all time was the Freight Train, twin engines in a row. The first car to top 150 in the 1/4 was the Bustle Bomb, this car had a olds in front of the axle and a caddy in the rear. It used one ring gear with two pinions, this was in 1955 I think. I agree though that most multi engine setups were a failure.

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

here are some pictures of it,coolest dual engine ever. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. If it was good enough for M/T, Ilike it

18. are you talking like a set-up like Tommy Ivo's showboat?

19. Jimv

Jimv

In street rodder they had a twin engine dragster with the flywheels meshed, seemed simple enough.
    Also boats run a reverse cam & distributor.Its common on side by each marine setups
    jimV

20. junkbrick

junkbrick

I believe Tommy Ivo's twin was coupled at the ring gears (meshed together) with 1 transmission off of 1 engine, offset differential in the rear end.

One engine was standard rotation, the other reverse. You can have your cam ground to work "backwards", but keep in mind everything else that turns backwards in the motor must be addressed.

Items to think about

Oil pump
    Crankshaft oil hole indexing
    Timing chain tensioner, if equipped
    Water pump
    Distributor Advance

etc.

I have thought it through a few times...sounds like fun!

Good Luck!
    Reed

21. mrrich

mrrich
    from seattle

Now I can't stop thinking about this. The question is what kind of body...

22. ironmatt72

ironmatt72
    from Boston

I have been looking into Tommy Ivo. Lots of great picture but no tech. I did see the two ring gears meshed together, but I want to run a tranny in the middle. I have checked into boats and tractor pulls still nothin. I am thinking run torque converts on both engine, so the engines don't need to be perfectly balanced. Then into 90 deg gear boxes and finish with a corvette rear end center section to a th400. Thank for all help.

23. crossthread

crossthread

Double row 80 link roller chain sprockets machined to fit crank ,2 each . Adaptor to mount larger size sprocket to input of transmission. Jackshaft to maintain tension between engines ,Both engines turn normal direction .Chain goes around the outside of all sprockets. Check and replace chain often,as sometimes the chain will disappear without notice. Later JimB

24. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

25. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I'd like to build a side by side digger much like Eddie Hills. To get past Tech I think you would have to have 2 SFI bellhousings (ya I'm in California and I would want to drive it) with no reverse. They would go directly into a 2 pumkin rear end with spools with one of the axles double splined, a spline for one spool (no cross pin so the axle would go completely thru the spool) and the end spline for 1/2 of the other spool. I think it would be hard to get a certified shield to cover the meshed flywheels or chains but I dunno. Rocky

26. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Ivo's Showboat connected the engines crank flange to snout, as a V16, not connected side by side.

He can explain it with pictures;

gas pumper likes this.
  27. The meshed flywheels will work for a quarter mile, but on the street you're going to have to lube them. It won't live. I always though Ivo's engines were connected at the cranks, essentially two V-16s side by side, one powering the front diff and the other going to the rear.

28. two posts, same answer, two mins. apart

29. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

Find the episode of monster garage when Jesse built the twin engine pulling tractor. Pretty sure they used the roller chain method like that twin engine deuce.
    Justin