Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. Hey fellas, just in case you missed it - The Rodder's Journal and The Jalopy Journal is celebrating 20 years of bringing you traditional hot rods and customs by offering you a one-year subscription to TRJ and a H.A.M.B. Alliance membership for only $75. Click here for details.

How to get weld splatter off glass ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Toqwik, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Toqwik

Toqwik Member

Somehow I got welding splatter on my new windshield. Is there any way to fix it? can you polish it out, or just deal with it? Fido
  2. jalopy43

jalopy43 Member

Sorry buddy, once it's there,it stays! You might polish out some of it,with very fine steel wool. Good luck. And remember guys, protect your glass,BEFORE you weld or grind near it!!:( Sparky
  3. fab32

fab32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Easy fix. drive over to your favorite glass shop, give them a few hundred bucks, they put in new glass, it's almost like it didn't happpen.;) :cool:

Frank
  4. REVEREND JAKE

REVEREND JAKE Member

[size=+2]Basically your windshield is pitted for good.

Now you can take a razor blade and go back and forth to remove the small metal beads. Be sure to use one side only of the razor blade. This is because if you use the other side it can scratch the glass even more.

You could try some 0000 steel wool.

Sorry to hear it, I hope this helps.

Reverend Jake
    [/size]
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. skipstitch

skipstitch Member

prayer....
  6. Pist-n-Broke

Pist-n-Broke Member

Hay Dude, your screwed. You can get the weld b-b off but the pit it leaves behind is there for good. Wish I had better news.
    The Wizzard
  7. 36-3window

36-3window Member

you are screwed......
  8. dadseh

dadseh Member

What he said.... basically your windscreen is F U K T .
    Guys, also remember if you use an angle grinder in the viscinity of glass it does the same thing. Molten sparks on glass = pitting. I hang a simple bed sheet in front of my car in the shed to stop stray sparks from grinder hitting the ride. Sparks will carry 15-20 feet to damage glass / paint.
  9. lowandgold59

lowandgold59 Member

better prep.
  10. Noname38

Noname38 Member

Don't listen to these guys... they're just tryin to get you down.... Wet sand it then spray some clear on it....
  11. kustombuilder

kustombuilder Member

yeah that oughta work FABULOUSLY!! :rolleyes:

i'm afraid i have'nt come up with any way to fix this problem. i've done it before but i learned my leason. i always hang a couple layers of masking paper over any glass or some times i use an old canvas drop cloth or welding coat. even if a spark burns through it'll likely be too cold to hurt the glass by then. sorry about your luck. you might call a glass shop though just to see if they have come out with some miracle cure.
  12. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc Member

If you find the miracle cure, be sure to let us know.
    We've all done this at one time or another!
  13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete Member

Dude!!! That RAT ROD is soooo hardcore! Check it out, the windshield is rusty!
  14. krooser

krooser Member

ALWAYS remember to cover your RADIATOR, too, when you are welding/cutting. Those hot chunks of metal LOVE to burn holes in those fragile copper tubes....
  15. madgrinder

madgrinder Member

badge of honor... wear it proudly.
  16. ABONES

ABONES Member

3M makes a spark resistant paper that is sticky on one side. It works good against grinding sparks, don't know about welding though. I wouldn't use just any old blanket to shield weld spatter, I've done it before and the results could be worse than a ruined windshield. Welding blanket or something non flammable preffered.
  17. 1lowtrk

1lowtrk Member

I just did the same thing to my door glass. rolled them down and figured they'd be ok but those damn little molten balls found ther way to the glass anyway.
  18. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave Member

I had the same problem, used liquid dish washing detergent along with Jake's idea; didn't get rid of the pits, but window was sure clean!

And use NEW razor blades!!
  19. polisher

polisher Alliance Vendor

Shave off the splatter, if pits left are shallow, and I mean shallow wet sand with 2000 grit then buff with a muslin buff and a good calcined alumina at around 600 rpm using an 8 inch buff.
    You might be lucky.
    If you buff to fast you'll generate heat and crack it, or scratch it more with the buff.
    Chances are the pits will be too deep.
    If you find after buffing that it's a little hazy get either a liquid glass type polish and apply a little of that.
    Best of luck.
    It's job to get it right, but it can be done if pits are shallow.
  20. bbo

bbo Member

remove and replace glass. only way. I have done that before it sucked because I know better. You are lucky the weld splatter can burst the glass.

If you are going to do a lot of welding and grinding then use welding blankets and welding paper. The paper is adhesive back(tacky) and is great for indirect protection. Use a thick welding blacket for immediate protection.

Glass pits and interiors burn fast.
  21. Toqwik

Toqwik Member

what sucks is I was welding on the back quarter, never would have dreamed that splatter would make it that far.....I am so pissed....Fido