Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to clean aluminum heads.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19fift, Nov 9, 2010.

1. 19fift

19fift
    from Margate Fl

Does anyone have a solution to clean aluminum heads? They are installed, I do not want to polish them just brighten them up like they were when new. Thanks 19fift joe smith

2. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

wire wheel cleaner

3. owen thomas

owen thomas

Dry ice blasting.

4. There's a product that we use to use in the Marines called Never Dull, but that would be the only thing I can think of for that kind of thing.

5. barry wny

barry wny

I do my stuff in the kitchen sink, but also wanted to leave the heads on in this case. Used grinder with wire cup on heads initially, carb bodies & intake sotch pad and comet cleaner, then had some "metal pan polish" that was like comet only finer grit & scrubbed them with that. After cleaning I clear coated. Yes they yellow eventually but don't corrode, whitch starts immediately after you are done cleaning

Attached Files:

6. Soda blasting?...

7. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

The problem with most aluminum cleaners is that they are too harsh, and will etch the aluminum or turn white. If they are actually dirty, I'd first clean them with Simple Green on a soft brush. Once they are clean, use the nylon type wire wheels on a drill motor (you could do this in the car if needed, with the headers off). I typically do this with the heads off, though, and spray a light coat of automotive clear to protect them.

I don't have a good picture of the results, but this procedure was used on the aluminum Edelbrock heads in the picture. They were used, and very grungy when I started.

[​IMG]