Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to build a Hand-Clutch setup For "A" Coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LoneWolfNoCLub, Apr 7, 2010.

1. EDIT: I have the car, and with the help of some good ole boys from the local branch of the Model A Restoration Club of America, I will soon be driving this thing!! (well, when I get it low enough to get into!) The engine makes enough vacuum to run a power brake booster to be used to power my clutch system. I will mount a Motorcycle clutch lever w/cable on my hand control lever on left side of column. Cable pulls on plunger/linkage of brake booster helped along by engine vacuum, sending brake fluid from the master cylinder to a slave cylinder, which then actuates the clutch lever into trans. This allows me to have control over how and when the clutch is actuated, AND RELEASED. Many many people had some good ideas, but only about 1/2 of the solution to the problem at a time. Although I never got to talk to him as he never responded to my PM's, a special thanks to HAMB member "AMPHICAR" for posting a link to his amphicar club site showing exactly how he did this. I believe it is on page 3 of this thread. With help from M.A.R.C. members doing things such as checking to see how far the clutch "arm" needs to move, and checking engine vacuum to make sure it pulls enough, I have figured it out!!! I cant wait to see the baffled look on peoples faces when I pull up to the cruise night and "flop" out into my wheelchair from my manual-transmission car!!!!

Thanks All!!!!!

James

Hello All, trying not to count my chickens just yet, but if all goes well I will be bringing home my dream car ever since i can remember.... A 1931 "A" Coupe!!!! It is barn-fresh, and a running driving car. Still 'Banger powered. Problem is, I am paralyzed from mid-chest (nipple area) down, and cant use my legs, and drive with hand-controls. I am determined to keep this car a stick, with the banger. I know there are C4 swap adapters, but boy are they expensive, and I am definitely spending every last penny to get the car so there goes my cash flow for a while. I have not seen how the stock clutch linkage works, so that does not help. In a perfect world,, it would be cable-operated, and I could just adapt a motorcycle lever to the shifter, but I am most definitely NOT that lucky!!!!

The car still has the fenders, and they dont look bad (although I am a FenderLESS rod kinda guy) but they will probably have to go, for the simple fact that they add about a foot to the transfer from my wheelchair, and that is WAY too far... It appears to have newer steelies on it with caps, and I am undecided on whether or not to leave them, or swap my set of '32 wires onto it. Other than that, maybe some 'Banger "speed" (LOL) parts, and drive the piss out of it!!!!!

Thank You for the help!

Pics to follow when my chickens have hatched and been counted!

James

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi James! I admire your "can do" spirit. I'm afraid though, that what you're asking may be too much for even a die-hard guy such as yourself. The force necessary to actuate the clutch is such, that it can't be operated with something as small as a motorcycle-type hand-lever. Possibly, it could be done with a larger lever, but you're gonna have to put your back into it, and I'm trying to imagine you with both hands off of the wheel, using one hand to shift, and the other to push or pull that clutch-lever. I do however, have an idea for you. It would take some engineering, but it could work. I think that a strong enough electric solonoid or more likely, an air cylinder attatched to the clutch-linkage and actuated wth a button on the shifter is feasible. It would allow you to keep one hand on the wheel, while using the other hand to shift and push that "clutch button". I really think that an air-cylinder would be the way to go. They are strong, fast, and you can get them in various strokes. You would have to run an air compressor either off of the engine, or an electric unit. For as often as you would be shifting, I think that a small air compressor driven directly off of the engine would be best, and you wouldn't even need a tank. The bracketry and linkage would actually be quite simple, and could all be hidden under the floor. It'd be interesting to have only the gas and brake pedals visible, and people thinking that it's an automatic, when in reality, you've got a four or five-speed in that baby! LOL. I don't live too awful far from you, and could help to gather up the necessary components and even design it and help you install it. I was an automotive machine-tool designer for 25 years, and pretty familiar with the use and installation of air cylinders. I bet we could do this! PM me, if you'd like. - Rick

P.S. - James...I'm a little slow sometimes. I just realized that you have no use for pedals at all. OK...gotta think about this. One hand on the shifter and clutch-button. One hand on the wheel. Lets say a combo throttle/brake lever. Shit. Alright...you're just gonna have to have three hands...that's all there is to it. LOL. No, I think that if you were fast enough with your hands, you could do it. Now I'm thinking maybe the throttle on the shifter as well. Shift, clutch, and throttle with your right hand, while steering. Then a brake lever on the right side also. You would just have to have the tranny in nuetral, when coming to a stop. Seems like a lot. You might find it necessary to go with an automatic trans. But...if you think you're up to it, then so am I.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  3. i agree that a lever system could be made to operate the clutch , you could give it enough ratio to reduce the effort. i would start out by measuring how much it takes to fully push in the clutch....maybe with a scale between someones foot and the pedal? then go from there

then you also have the brake pedal , i'm sure a lever system could be used there too. you will be very busy while shifting...one hand on the clutch , one hand on the shift lever and one hand on the throttle

maybe the air shifter is the way to go

4. Muttley

Muttley

It isnt going to be easy but if anyone can get it done its a HAMBer. Its great that you havent let your disability get in the way of Hot Rodding.

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

This is what makes the HAMB great! You're a hell of a good fellow.

6. bolt_boy_49

bolt_boy_49
    from USA

Just thinking out loud here, could a brake booster be used to make the clutch soft enough to be operated via cable? I will have to think about this far a bit.
    Al

7. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

Yes indeed! Some of the greatest engineering minds in the whole world here on the HAMB. I'll think about this tonight and get back to you. I'm absolutely positive we can figure this out. Start by letting us know what setup you use now in a daily driver. You know, what your left and right controls are. Steven.

8. Dyce

Dyce

My first thought is seating. You might want to find a sedan delivery instead so you could enter the car through a rear door. Model A doors are short.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, 36..."one hand on the clutch , one hand on the shift lever and one hand on the throttle." See...like I said, three hands! LOL. Thanks for helping me to think about this. What is needed, I think, is everything controled with the right hand, and steering with the left. I had another thought. Most of us have experienced sitting on an upward inline, with the clutch in, and the brake on, and the trans in first, with some idiot 6 inches from our rear bumper. It's a real trick to shift your foot from the brake to the throttle and slip the clutch so as not to roll into Mr. Idiot's car. I'm thinking a "line lock" type of thing that can be accuated from the brake-lever, yet released from the shifter-lever. So here ya are, James...sittin' at the light on a hill. Trans is in neutral. Line-lock is on. You're blippin' the throttle, vrooom-vrooom. You hold the clutch-button, and shift into first. Light turns green...you give 'er a little gas, and simultaneously release the clutch-button, and the line-lock. Shoot. I see problems, James. There's no way to feather the clutch, and if you release the clutch without releasing the brake, you're gonna stall. It's starting to sound like not only an engineering problem, but a hand coordination difficulty as well. I'm gonna have to think about this some more. Maybe a lever forward and back for gas and brake, and sideways action for clutch. Gotta think.

10. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

Challenging! I was gonna look at some of the controls on the market for ideas, but I only come up with systems designed for auto trannies. Honestly, I think that the stock clutch pedal could be modified with some sort of bar or stick and be operated by hand and the gears operated by some sort of paddle system. The more I think about this, the more I think of the non-synchro shifting and throttle feathering problems associated with it. It may be much easier for a bunch of gearheads to get together and supply you with a C4 setup and more user-friendly controls that go with it. Steven.

11. MBog

MBog

I've seen and worked on a few hand control cars before and I thougth, why couldn't you build a set up that will depress a hydraulic clutch when you push the left controller, brake when it is pulled down and have a motorbike twist throttle. I can visualize it. A hydraulic system can be tailored so there is little effort required to push the master and enuf effort created to move the slave the required amount. I'm just setting up a system for myself ( I have the use of my limbs) and I found out on a ford long style pressure plate the throw out bearing only has to move 5/8 in to release the disc.. It can be done...

12. How about the use of a (If one exist's) Big Centrifugal Clutch , OR a High Stall Converter (sealed) . Both are a bit involved , but worth the effort. Twist Grip on the stick shift for throttle and a Bike lever type set-up to boosted brakes , Say something like the right side of a motorbike atached to the shift lever for want of a term.
    Puts Right hand in control of Go Stop and Shift, left hand to point the front where ya want to go.

I'll be watching this thread , Love ya attitude .

Shrapnel :cool:

13. I have done this. Not on a car, but on my Boss Hoss motorcycle. It was a bit of a chore, but I have it working, reliably, for a while now. I created a blog to document the process as well as to rant, complain and to present my humble, yet accurate, opinions. I hope it helps. http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I built a hand clutch setup for a friend that was loosing the strength in his left leg due to MS. He had always had stick shift cars all his life and the prospect of not being able to operate a clutch was devastating. the scheme I came up with is exactly like the line lock lever system that was posted a few days ago. A little research about lever ratios and mounting it on the opposite side of the steering column allowed him to operate the clutch with his left hand for almost 2years until the progression of the disease took him out of the drivers seat permanetly.
    I see Tman has linked that thread to this one so you can reference it for explaination.

Frank

15. Great minds think alike Frank!

16. Thanks for posting this Frank.
    I've recently been diagnosed MS and to be fair, not looking to forward to any major attacks. And certainly dont wish to give up my Stick Shift 84Camaro.

Shrapnel

17. biscuit eater

biscuit eater

For what it's worth I'll throw in my experience with my "home-made" hand controls on my Willys. Keep in mind I have the use of one good strong leg but this may help with ideas. I went through several variations until I figured out what worked for me, so here's what I ended up with:

Finger operated throttle mounted on the shifter, shift and throttle with the right hand.

Hand lever mounted to the brake pedal for(left hand) when I needed to "hold" like on a hill with someone behind you.

Think about it for a minute...can't always use that hand brake lever and steer at the same time so...make SURE you are in neutral when you need to stop, brake with the good leg, push clutch in with good leg, shift into first, hold brake with left hand if needed. Design the brake lever so it can be used with either(or both) hand.

Now this worked pretty well for me but again, I have the use of one good leg and this arrangement keeps you very busy.

What about an electric actuator for the clutch, mount the button on the shifter along with the throttle. Activate the clutch button with your thumb, finger the clutch. Hold the brake momentarily with the left hand.

18. gotham

gotham

I think electric control of an air cylinder is a good idea for actuating the clutch. Maybe you can plumb it so the exhaust from the cylinder is restricted so the clutch applies slowly. Push the electric button clutch releases. Let go of button and clutch applies at rate set by the restriction. You could even adjust the apply speed from the driver seat.

I'm not near you but I'll help out with machining, welding etc if its something that can be shipped.

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

gotham...that's exactly what I was thinking. The cylinder would accuate fast, but compress relatively slowly, so the clutch wouldn't grab too bad.

20. amphicar

amphicar
    BANNED

My Amphicar has both foot and hand actuated clutch (been paralized for 28 years). See http://www.amphicar.com/oldspotlights.htm and scroll down part way to see how I did it. I also have the patent on hand controls for motorcycles (5299652).There are electrical "fly by wire" setups available by some company. I will look and se if I can find them.

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good thinkin', bolt_boy. I think that the short throw of a hand-lever may increase the force necessary to accuate to unusable levels though, even with a booster.

I'm inclined to agree with you, Bullrack. An automatic trans setup is by far the simplest solution. James didn't say he was dead-set against an automatic, (Right, James?) but that the cost is prohibitive. Maybe our efforts would best be directed in that area. Thought we might give the stick-shift idea some thought though...kind of an engineering exercise.

I like the idea of a twist-grip throttle...maybe on the shifter. The main thing we have to remember, is that James has two hands, and there are five things to do. Steer, clutch, brake, throttle, and shift. Steering has to be handled at all times, except when stopped or possibly when just taking off. If using the left hand for a clutch, and the right hand for shifting, there's nothing left for steering. He could be fast with his hands, and maybe get away with it in a straight line, but not on a curve.

Yes...a hand-brake is an absolute necessity.

Carl, I took a look at your blog. Lots of good stuff...so much so, that I couldn't seem to find info pertinant to this thread. I'll look again later.

You've got the idea, buscuit eater. Steering-wheel of course, with brake lever on the left, with throttle and "clutch-button" on the shifter.

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thankyou, John for proving me wrong. bolt_boy_49 suggested this idea, but I didn't think the degree of effort could be brought to an acceptable level. A lever system for the clutch would certainly lend more control than an air-cylinder.

23. striper

striper

I'm going to come back to this later when I've had time to properly read all the posts but I'll just throw in a thought while it's in my head.

On our trucks at work we have air over hydraulic brakes and clutches. Could be a good way to reduce effort enough for hand clutch.

Pete

24. Steven- My hand controls are like these:(see below) Push towards dash for brakes, pivot down towards floor for gas (not at the same time, results in brake-torqueing!)

Dyce- I just transfer OUT of my wheelchair and INTO the vehicle, I don't drive from it. Then take chair apart, pull into vehicle (if by myself, or if with a friend they put it in the back)

Rick- I really appreciate the time and thoguth you have put into this. I am an engineering student and a die-hard gearhead, so I thought if anybody would have good ideas, it is you guys!!! I cant thank you enough for your offer to help me! I know I could put an auto in it, but that would be too easy!!! I just wanted to see what great ideas others have had or seen/used in the past.

Striper, amphicar, gotham, biscut eater, Tman, Fab 32, Carl La Fong, Bullrack, Dyce, Bolt_Boy, dirty dug, - It was getting out of control and incomprehensible to try and multi-quote everyone in an understandable manner! but I thank all of you very much, and I am going through your ideas one by one..... I have another car I built, an 8-second mustang, where I have 3 things to do (steer, throttle, shift full-manual valvebody C-4) and 2 hands and I seem to get it done!!! I take off in 2nd, and shift 3rd about 1/2 track or so, and I have to let go of something, and I will tell you it is not the throttle!!!! 8.97@152!!!!!!

Thanks Again everyone!!!!!

James

Attached Files:

25. i did not read everything here , and may the problem is allready solved if not drop me a pm. A friend of a friend who hangs sometimes in our garage is paralyzed also but down from his neck and ?? He is a racecar driver :) drives 2 cobras both bb baybes a replica to race and a original to drive on the street . Both a manuals and shifted via air . If i can help you drop me a line and i ask for pics of the construction and so on.
    May u even know this guy . He is called rainer Küschal and was the owner ah küschal rollchairs. He is still in the engeeniring. Sorry 4 my bad english

26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK. With all the good input, so far we have a brake-lever on the left, with a clutch-lever and throttle on the shifter. The clutch lever would pull a cable that is hooked to a power-boosted master clyinder which would actuate the clutch-fork. All sounds very "do-able". The only question I still have is what would be the best configuration of the clutch-lever/throttle. How should it be mounted on the shifter for optimum control with a minimum fatigue-factor? Trying to control a standard twist-grip throttle, simultaneously with the clutch-lever might be a bit difficult...maybe not. I'm imagining possibly a "T" or an "L" handle on the shift-rod with the clutch-lever situated normally, but instead of twisting the throttle as on a motorcycle, maybe twisting it as if trying to unscrew it from the shifter-rod...if that makes sense. Like a corkscrew, but counter-clockwise. In that way, the throttle and the clutch-lever move on the same plane, and would work in harmony to each other. I can see it...I'm likin' it. Of course, talking about it, and doing it are two different things. But I'm confident that this system could be adapted to an existing car such as the Model A that James is hoping to get soon, without an unreasonable amount of engineering or expense. If it had begun to look like too much of either, I was prepared to suggest an automatic trans with a combo go/brake lever. But I think this system beats changing the drivetrain on both counts. Thanks for everybody's input. Please share more ideas if you have 'em.

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

James! There ya are! Wondered where you were...

You drag an 8-second Mustang? Shooooot...

Hey guys! James doesn't need our help! LOL. PM me anytime, sir.

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. Sounds like the problem IS already solved. This sounds interesting. Possibly a few $ involved, but very interesting non-the-less.

29. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are MANY reasons why I love the HAMB, I think this one pretty much captures most of them. Empathy and tech knowledge!!!