Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much did it cost to build your 2/3-car garage?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burger, Jan 26, 2005.

1. burger

burger

Sometime next summer, I'm looking to knock down my current leaky single-car garage and put up my Garage Mahal -- a 2 (or maybe a tight 3) car garage that will span most of my meager back yard. Zoning says I can go up to 16 feet in height, so I plan on a loft with a real slow pitch to the roof.

Before I get ahead of myself and plan something I can't afford, I'd like to know what you gents paid for your sheds and what you got. That'll at least give me a starting idea of what I can expect given the paltry sum I have to work with.

The biggest thing that I'm unsure of is the cost of a concrete pad.

I'd also be very interested to hear what the wiring cost you and if you'd consider doing it yourself (I do have an electrican friend who I'm sure I could co-erce into helping).

Thanks!
    Ed

PS- Ryan, if you're reading this, the WYSIWYG text editor ROCKS!

2. just steve

just steve
    Member Emeritus

Ed --
    I just got done putting up a 24x30 with heat tubing in the slab, 6-inch sidewalls, 8-foot ceilings. Finished exterior to match the house (steel siding, aluminum trim, shingles, etc), one 16-foot rollup door, three windows, basic electric (100-amp service box, one light circuit one outlet circuit). Cost me 22,500, took about a month from start to done.

Added another 1500 or so for rock, insulation, and additional wiring. Did all that myself. Add another 1200 for the water heater and assorted frippery for the in-floor heat. Best money I ever spent, next to the deuce.

Steve.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I did a 24 x 30 with nice concrete slab, real nice garage door and man door, two windows, insulation, and loft for $17k.

4. A local lumber yard has a 24X24, 3 courses of block, floor (only 4") and doors, in T111 for a shade over 10k. Seems pretty reasonable, cause the kit is like 8k itself, and concrete around here ain't cheap.

Jay

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

I built my 30x36 concrete shop for $20K here in the country side on the Gulf Coast of Florida

6. 40Tudor

40Tudor

My 24x28 was $13k plus a grand for rock and insulation and we'll say $700 for electrical (240V 100A box and 20 or so outlets). Basic detached garage on a floating slab with minimal ground prep. It has an insulated steel 16' x 8' high overhead, one service door, two windows and a 10 foot ceiling.

I had it built about 5 years ago and took care of the interior 'finish' work myself.

7. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

you can wire it yourself then get your buddy to hook it to the breaker box. Its not as bad as it seems. grab a book from the Hardware store and it will explain the basics. I wired my garage and Im no electrician. Good luck. The more you can do yourself the cheaper it will be

8. Mine is 25x40, the concrete was about 5500. I'm going 25' tall with a barn roof. When it's done I figure about 22k, but that's with no insulation or sheetrock. It's also all wood with cedar siding.

9. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

Ed,My son Is planning on a 36X36 unless he can get a variance for a 36X40,He talked to an Amish guy in Lancaster and He said he would put up a 36X36 12' high ceilings for $20,000. That includes the pad, roof,8 foot door.side door 4 windows,and it's steel structure They also have it up in about 4 days.I'll find out the guys name and get it back to Ya WHEELS

10. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

I amin the process of building a 40x50x14 and I will have approx. $35,000 in it.
    A lot of the costs incurred were stuff like garage doors, 3 each. for about 2,000 bux.
    The building itself was $ 21,500 with insulation.(steel building) concrete included.
    I wired it myself but I still have about 1,000 ft of Romex in it. I added a loft(approx.600 sf) and a paint room (sheetrocked) that added $4,500 in materials.

I did all the labor except for the actual outside structure and slab. But if ya figure it all up I'll have 2600 sf of storage for 35K. That's cheaper than a new SUV.

12. I'm adding a 24x40 addition on to my garage with 9'ceilings this summer and the materials with rock will run me less then $8,000. I have to get quotes yet for the slab yet. This will have one window, three 9' doors and an entry door.

13. Our garage is 24x30, no electricity...just a garage with cement floor, cost 10 grand.

14. I must have gotten the deal of the week. 24X40, 14' walls, 6-12 roof. 10X12 door, 2 man doors, insulated, with the floor, site prep, and tree removal $12,250 turn key. I did the electrical ,about $500 so far (I'll be adding more) I also added the loft (24X8 so far) spent another 600 on that. I went with forced air gas heat. I bought a used unit for 100, but it cost 1100 to install.
    Damn, no wonder I'm so broke right now! My only regret is waiting so long to do it.

15. RoadKat

RoadKat

i just got a 30x30 all steel building with slab and a 15 ft roof extension for 10,000. but i had too put in my own doors and wiring. the ceiling is 9 ft. and it is insulated.

16. In 1988 it was 3500.00 for all building materials-delivered , 100.00 for fill sand , 500.00 for concrete , 300.00 for electrical for 24x30 with 9ft ceiling......boy them were the days : P

17. RC

RC

We put up the red iron and skinned the walls on my 40 X 30 building last weekend, and will be placing the roof and trim this weekend.

I have two garage doors one 10 feet and one 16 feet long.

One man door 4 feet wide and 12 foot walls with no rafters, so I can add a lift one day.

Cost was $18,500.00 for slab, building and installation.

I will be doing all the finish out inside, electrical, plumping, insulation.

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

Keep in mind when I say 35K, that will be with heat and air, finished inside and out. With a concret approach and driveway.

19. Plowboy

Plowboy

I had my 30x40 pole building put up for $11,900 that included 2 overhead doors, concrete and 1 walk in door. He "bookshelved" the walls instead of just putting the nailers on the outside of the poles. I highly suggest doing this if you are going to finish out the inside it saves a ton of time and a lot of effort.

I wired and insulated it myself (6 inch thick) and hung 7/16 OSB on the walls.

I bought a $20 furnace to keep it warm. I also hung a white steel ceiling in there and blew a foot of insulation on top of it. It is nice and toaty warm out there.

Grand total was probably around $15,000.

20. RC

RC

My building was bolt up job, and nailers are like you said "bookshelved" at eight feet.
    It will make it easy to finish out that way.

21. TIKIFREAK13

TIKIFREAK13
    from Duluth MN

well if your talking for cheap my 20X24 kit garage was $2000 at local build it center not menards a small biz in my town & that was with out shingels cause we had house roof redone and wanted to match the slab waz $700 mis crap + shingels& paying to have it done had no time with work was about $1300 & me and family put in up on weekends this fall so got 4K with out sheet roock & wireing & heat planning another K for that so should have 5K when its done & i can work out of it i know its small but was biggest i could put on my lots & i have three of them on a coner

22. CruZer

CruZer

I built my 36x26 three car two years ago on a slab.I was quoted $7500 for the excavation and slab but I got really lucky and my son in laws father got the equipment and an operator for free and the slab cost me $2500.$1400 of that was the concrete.
    I built the actual garage with a lot of help from my friends.It's vinyl sided with a metal roof.The cost was $8500. I found that the metal roof was actually cheaper because you screw it down to "purlins" made of 1x2's nailed over the trusses so you don't need plywood,tarpaper and roof shingles.The roof is guarenteed for 50 years so I know I'll never replace it.
    Another thing I did was rent a nail gun (I have a compressor ) and Sears sells a plastic device that measures 16" on center when you're laying up your walls on the ground.With a little practice two of us were building 10 foot walls 8 feet high in about 15 minutes.
    I also used pressure treated plywood for the bottom four feet of the walls and particle board for the rest.I put the walls on 6x6 pressure treated wood.
    I got four quotes for material which ranged from $8K to $10K .

Attached Files:

23. brucee10

brucee10
    from Muncie, IN

My dad owns a concrete company and here in Indiana a garage floor style pad would run about $6 a sq.ft plus any special work like drains or excavation. Most concrete contractors should be able to give you a rough square foot cost just based on materials and labor and finish style.

24. Brother Bob

Brother Bob

I am in the process of roughing in the pad/forms and concrete work for my 40x60 Shop. Around these parts concrete runs about 60-70 bucks a yard.
    The slab alone in just concrete $ is around 4200 bucks.
    I am looking for seconds and buildings that I can tear down to keep the price down on materials. I may have to sell one of my rides to finance the damn thing but when its done its mine.
    Plans are 40deep 60 long , steel building/roof, bathroom and a 6" slab , I might find a lift for the right price? Loft and show off area. I am not planning on insulation just tall walls 14' and lots of airflow. I picked up 2 doors that are getting replaced by a Overhead door co for nothing 12x12!
    My lady thinks I'm nutz.
    I think I may be too.

25. Kustom Chief

Kustom Chief

It's cheap because of the cheap mermaid labor.

Larry

26. Kustom Chief

Kustom Chief

I'm going to need that number too Wheels.

Thanks Mr. Leonetti

Larry

27. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Attached Files:

• 1877.jpg
      1877.jpg
      File size:
      58.4 KB
      Views:
  28. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

mine three car oversized cost me $190,000 and has some little house right in front of it for some reason

29. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$ per square foot, I did real well...

30' X 30' for $8000 in 2000

3 courses of cinder block on top of the slab gives 10' ceiling with 8' 2 X 4 framing. The roof trusses (4/12 pitch) were around $1200, I think.

Two 10' wide, 7' high doors plus a 3' steel entrance door.

I hired out the concrete, blocks, roofing, and vinyl siding. I built it at the same time that I built my house, so maybe my subs gave me a price break.

I wired it myself, using a 100 amp panel. Big enough to run 220V to both the stick welder and air compressor.

NO interior panelling, insulation, heat or air conditioning.

Attached Files: