Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how does a spedometer cable work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobalt333, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I've only ever seen speedometer cable cores that are all the same size. Cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, SAE and Metric, all have basically the same diameter cable and square ends. As for feeding the cable into the core, I've done it both ways, sometimes threading the core in "backwards" from the transmission up to the speedometer. If the retaining ring is there to prevent it from falling out, then no harm is done with the cable "floating around" after it's attached at both ends, plus the lubricant inside generally prevents it from falling out when not attached to the trans.

There are universal kits that you cut to size and crimp on a new cable-end. I've used them before.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/atp-universal-speedometer-core-repair-kit-83-yc-100/5013267-P

If this is true, then you can always reverse the core and have it wound the opposite of the opposite.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. squirrel

squirrel

The same way you can reverse the threads on a screw by threading it from the other end?

:)

Hnstray and LOST ANGEL like this.
  3. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Corvette tach cables are left hand lay just like the speedometer cables. No difference.

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

OK, you got me on that one. Brain fart.

squirrel likes this.
  5. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

SPEEDOSERVICE might be right and I might be wrong. A long time ago, we made flexible nut drivers to assemble airborne mapping equipment and they used a flex cable that was a section of speedo cable for either tightening or loosening and then another wound direction for the opposite function.....I was told it was Vette tach cable but didn't personally order it. Thanks

6. Please don't anyone on or off this thread take it personnally but this place is starting to look like auto shop for girls.....

hotroddon likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

so how is a younger guy supposed to learn how old cars work?

I have no problem answering what should be simple questions. Everyone has to start somewhere. I'd rather answer question about speedo cables, then about how to program an electronic speedo

8. Budget36

Budget36

Possibly, but everyone has to start somewhere, there's no written rule that says you must have automotive knowledge in order to own a car.

I think it's our responsibility to assist when we can and encourage the owners to work on and learn.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Squ, if you say GM is that way I definatly won't disagree. All the ones I fixed as I remember were done under the car. It was 50 yrs ago and so far only have halfzimers....

10. squirrel

squirrel

The last one I did was last month...I'm pretty sure they're all like that on GMs, (and every other American car I remember)

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 56 New Yorker also has the collar at the top end of the speedo cable.

I was driving back from the HAMB drags in 2014 in the old Hemi car, and all of a sudden there was a god-awful rattling from under the dash. The speedometer head froze up and the cable twisted until it broke the trans end off. When that happens the cable unwinds like one of those damn old wind-up palm buzzers that used to be advertised in pretty much every comic book. I discovered that one of the normal maintenance items on the 56 New Yorker is to lubricate the bushing in the back of the speedo head. There is a chunk of felt that soaks up the oil and keeps the bushing lubricated. I assume mine hadn't been lubed since 1956, and finally locked up 58 years later. I was able to free it up, it's well lubed now, and working beautifully.

12. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

I think that is true if there is a significant tension or resistance being turned by the cable, then it has to be wound special or to go both ways but with a tachometer there is little if any resistance.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And just what exactly would be the problem with and auto shop for girls?

Why don't you take that sexist, unwelcoming, and unproductive attitude someplace else?

Budget36 likes this.
  14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Gees, he said to not take it personally!!:rolleyes:

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I just checked about a dozen Ford cables, from 51 up to the 70's and couple Crosleys..All had the collar at the speedo end..Never knew it..

16. In Rome GA, the old parts store with really old parts guys behind the counter would be Powell's. Best in this area, family owned, in business since shortly after the beginning of time.

17. This is my first time around on all this stuff and i have found that asking a group of experts like yourselves sure makes the picture of it all clear fast...yes i could search and search the internet for answers and have done so as i do own a 1956 oldsmobile if you know anything about them info is sparce...i dont take anything personal as i think its quite comical how some love to throw in barbs and gripe about stuff im just glad to be here for you so gripe away ya make me smile :) ps thanks for every ones info im getting close to getting my car on the road after 5 years of work and im in the final stretch..but in that i have about a dozen things i have to solve and this was one..soon to be done..thanks

18. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Have you actually seen All Girls Garage on TV? If this place is gonna look like that I may never log off.....

pat59 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. i wanted to thank you mr squirrel i got the speedometer cable tonight and fit perfect..thanks for your help

Attached Files:

20. squirrel

squirrel

you're welcome!

gimpyshotrods likes this.